All Air Drivers To Be Eliminated?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So I heard a rumor someone was calling BS about working 14hr days. Folks also forget generally guys 05 during crap days like that and management allows it. But yeah, we had guys hitting 55+ this past Friday, even only working 4 days, ask me how I know.

They don't change the 05 to 06 once they get past the 8 hour point?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Oh yeah, Saturday was sweet nectar today, paid for some new tires I threw on the Taco. Braves won a game or something and it was $144 off any 4 tires plus you can still turn in the manufacturer rebates.

Inthegame

So I heard a rumor someone was calling BS about working 14hr days. Folks also forget generally guys 05 during crap days like that and management allows it. But yeah, we had guys hitting 55+ this past Friday, even only working 4 days, ask me how I know.
No doubt it can and does happen, occasionally. L396 is not a weak local and would stop this if it's really happening on any type of consistent basis.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
No doubt it can and does happen, occasionally. L396 is not a weak local and would stop this if it's really happening on any type of consistent basis.
The thing is the guys that do 05 generally want the hours, take 10 or 15min breaks, then keep on trucking. No one around here that I know of has any issues demanding to take lunch and getting slack from management not to.

Inthegame

The thing is the guys that do 05 generally want the hours, take 10 or 15min breaks, then keep on trucking. No one around here that I know of has an issues demanding to take lunch and getting slack from management not to.
Then they're probably not on the 9.5 list.

shalang

Read Art 37. If your guys are getting those hours and on the 9.5 list, that is definitely understaffing and should be pursued through the grievance procedure. Use the language or quit complaining.
This sounds very exaggerated.

Wow, some of you guys are really negative and unwelcoming here.

First, when did I complain? All I said was that the job wasnt for me.

Second, the 9-5 guys are the ones telling me this!

I am not a FT driver so yeah, take what I say with a grain of salt if you like. However, you guys dont need to be rude and act like know-it-alls (you and Upstate in particular).
Thats what you think. A lot of people think differently than you (are you even a part of our local to be giving an opinion on this?).

I have a close friend who is a veteran and is still back paid for 8 years! The company stated he started in 04 but he was in Iraq at the time, serving and getting shot multiple times for this country. He gave them pay stubs from 02 (he started in 01) but still denied it, stating that their records only show 04.

Then he talks to the union. Went through several business agents (I wont name them here). Everytime he went to talk to them, there response was "Were still looking into it.". Finally they agreed with UPS with the 04 date, even witg the proof.

One day walking out of the hub, we see the man himself (you should know who I am referring to since you know 396). With his shades on in the hub, he told my friend, "I will personally look into this.". That was the last we saw of The Man.

This and many more infractions are going on in our hub at least. So please, if you are not a part of 396 then keep your opinions to yourself. The Union (in particular, the agents) only protects their select guys in the building or whenever it suits their purpose. Just look at the road we are going down with the health plan.

JL 0513

It's cheaper to pay a full time driver to work Saturday air, than to have an extra body on the payroll.

Except that most air drivers are already on the payroll as PT shift employees and already recieving union benefits. Therefore it is still cheaper for UPS to use these employees on Saturdays at a pay rate half of FT driver OT rate.

Inthegame

Wow, some of you guys are really negative and unwelcoming here.

First, when did I complain? All I said was that the job wasnt for me.

Second, the 9-5 guys are the ones telling me this!

I am not a FT driver so yeah, take what I say with a grain of salt if you like. However, you guys dont need to be rude and act like know-it-alls (you and Upstate in particular).

In our hub, yes. Why would I need to lie about this? I have seen it personally. Even some drivers themselves dread having gone FT because their centers are heavy.

9-5 doesnt work. Lots of guys always complaining to the on road supervisors but it ia never resolved. The work needs to get done.
Just responding to what you wrote.

Box Ox

Couldn't imagine being at a location at which FT drivers regularly run out of hours outside of peak season.

For those of you who are, do you have to sign a sheet acknowledging remaining hours available every Friday morning at PCM, year round?

shalang

They wont let our hub use any Full time drivers for Saturday unless they are RTD's Ive not heard any rumors at all about this .
Wow you guys are lucky. Apparently Anaheim (or Van Nuys?) Has been experimenting with the Tue-Sat FT. I guess ita been a success since their going to implement it at our building.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Why you guys are lucky. Apparently Anaheim (or Van Nuys?) Has been experimenting with the Tue-Sat FT. I guess ita been a success since their going to implement it at our building.
I'm sure most of the decent sized cities will have T-S routes within the next year or so.

PT Car Washer

Why you guys are lucky. Apparently Anaheim (or Van Nuys?) Has been experimenting with the Tue-Sat FT. I guess ita been a success since their going to implement it at our building.
How many of your Saturday drivers work 8 hours? My building we use one for AM delivery and PM pick ups.

shalang

How many of your Saturday drivers work 8 hours? My building we use one for AM delivery and PM pick ups.
Several PT Saturday Air Drivers actually. Thats all due to the pickups. Another of my friends does 10 pickups after his commit time. That allows him to clock out by 4:00-4:30 (he comes in at 7:30 for scanning the packages from the shuttle). Hes been doing Saturdays for 8 years. Over the years theyve added more PUs for him.

Most of the Air Drivers here go FT after awhile. They only stay as air drivers until they reach seniority to go cover/FT. However, there is still a sizeable amount that have been doing Air for years (some more than 20). This is really going to affect them. One guy was even hired as a part time Air Driver , not a hubperson. Hes been at it for over 20 years. Hes gonna be screwed to say the least when hes converted to PT hubperson.

Last edited:

PT Car Washer

Several PT Saturday Air Drivers actually. Thats all due to the pickups. Another of my friends does 10 pickups after his commit time. That allows him to clock out by 4:00-4:30 (he comes in at 7:30 for scanning the packages from the shuttle). Hes been doing Saturdays for 8 years. Over the years theyve added more PUs for him.

Most of the Air Drivers here go FT after awhile. They only stay as air drivers until they reach seniority to go cover/FT. However, there is still a sizeable amount that have been doing Air for years (some more than 20). This is really going to affect them. One guy was even hired as a part time Air Driver , not a hubperson. Hes been at it for over 20 years. Hes gonna be screwed to say the least when hes converted to PT hubperson.
I would think finding enough work to support more then a few T-S jobs would be the biggest problem. If a large Hub like yours only use a few drivers FT on Saturday what would the smaller hubs and centers do?