All Air Drivers To Be Eliminated?

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
I have never said that UPS is a 9-5 job. As you said, 9-5 does not work at UPS; however, neither does working until 11 pm.

Let's assume a 8:15 am start and a 45 minute lunch to make the math work.

11 hours of driving with an 8:15 am start and a 45 minute lunch would mean you would need to be off road by 8 pm, not 11 pm. You could work an additional 3 hours but someone else would need to drive.
11 hour driving rule is not applicable to us, only the 14 and 60 are

opie

Most of the PM air jobs are 22.3 in my building. Saturdays used to rarely have a FTer working. But they have had trouble getting PTers to work Saturdays the last few years. So we used to have many FTers working Saturdays. In the last year they have gotten more PTers to drive Saturdays, so we aren't using as many FT drivers as before. They still need FTers, because there are some ground pickups from certain retailers which UPS arranged a Saturday ground pickup. They even started to do ground pickups from the UPS stores.

KOG72

I’m full of it
Most of the PM air jobs are 22.3 in my building. Saturdays used to rarely have a FTer working. But they have had trouble getting PTers to work Saturdays the last few years. So we used to have many FTers working Saturdays. In the last year they have gotten more PTers to drive Saturdays, so we aren't using as many FT drivers as before. They still need FTers, because there are some ground pickups from certain retailers which UPS arranged a Saturday ground pickup. They even started to do ground pickups from the UPS stores.
Couple of summers ago I ran some Saturday air for a guy that was out hurt,easy money just makes the weekend go by faster and that sucks.

KOG72

I’m full of it
It is nice. I had 11 different stops on Friday with a NDA, and not a single one was committed. Never had anyone complain about it.
A lot of customers do not even know they are getting nda's.Seems to me the only ones waiting on me are waiting for phones and money.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A lot of customers do not even know they are getting nda's.Seems to me the only ones waiting on me are waiting for phones and money.

I have lost track of how many times I have rushed to get a NDA delivered only to come back later that day only to see it still sitting there.

The big problem we have on Saturdays are the airs for non-committed areas. Our software does list the Saturday zips but does not prevent processing a Saturday air for a non-committed zip.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You can drive over 11 hours. You can not drive or work past 14 a day from punch in to punch out including lunch. And not over 60 hours a week.

You cannot drive more than 11 hours, if you are in a P700 or larger. (The cut off weight is 10,001 pounds.) Package car drivers need not worry about 11 hours drive time. It is actual driving time, time behind the wheel.

You can't drive after 11 hours of actual drive time behind the wheel. Nothing a package care driver will ever worry about.

Correct.

pretty much the simplest way it was explained was 14 HR/day from punch to punch including lunch and not to exceed 60/week.

Because package car drivers will never, or rarely, exceed 11 hours of actual drive time. But, the rule still does apply.

11 hour driving rule is not applicable to us, only the 14 and 60 are

The 11 hour rule is applicable, well, sort of. The rule still applies, but no package car driver is going to "drive" more than 11 hours, so, in a sense, it may not be applicable because package drivers do not have to worry about it.

Hours of Service. Who must comply?

Hours of Service

Summary of Hours of Service Regulations

Summary of Hours of Service Regulations

Hours of Service Regulations

Regulations Section

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
You would know more about this than me, but I was under the impression Air Driver hours did not count against a Centers PPH. Why else would the Center run me a hundred miles to make service on a couple of misloaded surepost packages?
I was always told to use air drivers as an absolute last resort to make service because it does affect our PPH. It was the hot topic around my previous building for a while. I think we used AM air drivers for non shuttle/EAM work three times since Peak.

But you also have to take building size into account. Putting an air driver out in a 32 route, largely rural building is going to hurt a heck of a lot more than say a 100 driver building

Rack em

Made the Podium
I was always told to use air drivers as an absolute last resort to make service because it does affect our PPH. It was the hot topic around my previous building for a while. I think we used AM air drivers for non shuttle/EAM work three times since Peak.

But you also have to take building size into account. Putting an air driver out in a 32 route, largely rural building is going to hurt a heck of a lot more than say a 100 driver building
We use 3 air/shuttle drivers 4 days a week at our center and a normal day is 20 routes...

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
We use 3 air/shuttle drivers 4 days a week at our center and a normal day is 20 routes...
Which is understandable if it is a normal thing.

PPH for this year is based off of last year. So if last year you ran 20 routes, and 2 air drivers you can in theory do the same thing again with an increase in stops/volumes. We traditionally never used air drivers for delivery and it hurt us because it meant we couldn't do it without essentially shooting ourselves in the foot.