All drivers will work Thursday......

barnyard

KTM rider
35 are reporting to work and the boss said that the current forecast would be a 90 stop per car average. That is 5-6 less than normal and 25 stops less than normal average.

Gonna be tough skipping stuff and delivering NDA on time.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Our center manager told us today that " All drivers will work Thursday-blame Amazon!"

I would like to THANK amazon!
Actually rumor is blame FedEx not amazon. I heard FedEx express told amazon they wouldn't take anymore and that's why Louisville got hammered.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We had five planes late today, everybody was told to come in Thursday. My Helper kept his uniform, I'm not done with him yet.

DorkHead

Our center manager told us today that " All drivers will work Thursday-blame Amazon!"

I would like to THANK amazon!

Yeah, let`s blame the customer (Amazon) that ships out a record number of parcels this peak, which in turn creates record revenue and record profits for us. Your manager is very typical. Failure to plan is the same as planning to fail no matter how you look at it.

A

anonymous6

whats wrong with working Thursday? I'm glad we are working Thursday. some of you have a bad memory.

Marne Vet

I was told 1,500,000 packages did not make it out of Louisville today. Any truth to it?

Yup, that's what my center manager told us today. We got hammered. Had mid-day Air meets where almost every driver got 50 more stops. We were already blown-out to begin with. Worst Xmas Eve delivery day in our history. We also had one of our hubs get totally smoked. The Preload didn't start loading until 7 am because that's when they were able to use the belt! The drivers in those Centers went out at 11 am and were told to be back by 9:30 PM max. Craziest day I've ever seen. Oh, can't wait till Thursday. We're all working. Maybe 3 guys are off. lol

Who cares as long as we are healthy and have people who love us. I can't wait to celebrate the birth of Christ and my daughters birthday tomorrow. The worst this that can happen to us all on Friday it that we will all may about $480bucks.

JakeD

I think it's funny that in a time of huge unemployment, hourly employees are complaining that they have work.

step back and appreciate what you have and enjoy it.

/going back to school to find better employment options.

Waste Manager

""I think it's funny that in a time of huge unemployment, hourly employees are complaining that they have work""

It's not that they have work, it's the amount of work in a short time..

Better idea..UPS alone..could probably stimulate the US economy..just by hiring more staff,and spreading 'that wealth' around a bit more..instead of working one driver 12 hours..why not 1 at 8 hrs,and another at 4?..or..split a 12 hour 'shift' into 2- 6 hour shifts..some people only want..or need to work those shortened hours..for whatever reason..but that would be progressive thinking on new employment strategties..

Here's the rub..'hiring more staff''..which they didn't do Peak 2013 ..they went with the same percentage of staff from 2012..and an unknown amount of volume, IE dropped the ball there..on-line shopping now accounts for 40% of the average X-Mass shopper's total..ask around to those you know who still do the gift giving ritual..get some idea what people are spending..
Do you think UPS 'planned' for such explosive growth?

Expect the unexpected..

Hmmm..

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Most problems UPS had this peak were weather related.
Companies that stay in business do not overbuild capacity for 4 -5 days excess need per year.

I have heard that UPS is not building extra buildings because they expect ground volume to shrink.
Once that trend of ground volume shrinking settles in, UPS may selectively add some buildings which equals driver positions. It is very expensive to add driver positions as this causes extra buildings with extra feeder runs and eventually extra hubs.