All drivers will work Thursday......

Cementups

Box Monkey
I asked on Monday to be skipped on Thursday if at all possible. But when I asked after I was done on Tuesday about Thursday I was told all drivers would be working. Oh well, I asked and the most they could say was no. :shrug:

Feeders101

Most problems UPS had this peak were weather related.
Companies that stay in business do not overbuild capacity for 4 -5 days excess need per year.

I have heard that UPS is not building extra buildings because they expect ground volume to shrink.
Once that trend of ground volume shrinking settles in, UPS may selectively add some buildings which equals driver positions. It is very expensive to add driver positions as this causes extra buildings with extra feeder runs and eventually extra hubs.

The Dallas hub is busting at the seams all year. Amazon built 3 distribution centers in the Dfw metro plex. The one in Coppell is 1 million sq ft. and will push us to the extreme year round. Mesquite is the biggest hub and they run 24/7 and are covered up. I did have a chance to talk to some of the upper management people from Atlanta when they where here and they said they where considering building a new Dallas hub to replace to one we have. We've went from pups to 53' and our hub wasn't designed for that. No parking. I think it is in the works to replace the Dallas hub. Might not happen in the rest of my career, but if we want to grow the business; it needs to happen. With that, I will retire in 2 years and let you guys have it.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Most problems UPS had this peak were weather related.
Companies that stay in business do not overbuild capacity for 4 -5 days excess need per year.

I have heard that UPS is not building extra buildings because they expect ground volume to shrink.
Once that trend of ground volume shrinking settles in, UPS may selectively add some buildings which equals driver positions. It is very expensive to add driver positions as this causes extra buildings with extra feeder runs and eventually extra hubs.

I wonder if they expect ground volume to shrink into FedEx because we are simply not providing the level of service we did 5-10 years ago. Less routes, later commercial deliveries, FedEx delivering across the street while we are at our PCM @ 9AM. Even resi customers are bummed we get to them so late now. One excuse is like any other to our customers. If we have a weather delay on top of not hiring enough temporary help, all they know is that we failed them.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Yup, that's what my center manager told us today. We got hammered. Had mid-day Air meets where almost every driver got 50 more stops. We were already blown-out to begin with. Worst Xmas Eve delivery day in our history. We also had one of our hubs get totally smoked. The Preload didn't start loading until 7 am because that's when they were able to use the belt! The drivers in those Centers went out at 11 am and were told to be back by 9:30 PM max. Craziest day I've ever seen. Oh, can't wait till Thursday. We're all working. Maybe 3 guys are off. lol

Sounds like you are talking about PHL, because that's what our center manager told us at the PCM. As a result, they are sitting on 8 trailers of Amazon down at PHL.

Sooo...we know FedEx couldn't handle our volume if we went on strike. It appears we need FedEx around to some extent, too?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The Dallas hub is busting at the seams all year. Amazon built 3 distribution centers in the Dfw metro plex. The one in Coppell is 1 million sq ft. and will push us to the extreme year round. Mesquite is the biggest hub and they run 24/7 and are covered up. I did have a chance to talk to some of the upper management people from Atlanta when they where here and they said they where considering building a new Dallas hub to replace to one we have. We've went from pups to 53' and our hub wasn't designed for that. No parking. I think it is in the works to replace the Dallas hub. Might not happen in the rest of my career, but if we want to grow the business; it needs to happen. With that, I will retire in 2 years and let you guys have it.
UPS making any capital investments based on Amazon is fraught with risk.
Amazon threatens to leave UPS everyday and keeps saying they are going to create their own delivery network.
UPS makes almost nothing on every Amazon package.
UPS might be better off without Amazon packages and that could happen any day.

Many UPS hubs were not designed for 53' footers.
When UPS starts to build hubs again, that will be a very good sign of upper managements' belief that UPS volume will grow.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Hoke makes an excellent point----can you imagine the uproar if we spend the next 10 years expanding our network only to have to consolidate operations within the following 10?

JakeD

""I think it's funny that in a time of huge unemployment, hourly employees are complaining that they have work""

It's not that they have work, it's the amount of work in a short time..

Better idea..UPS alone..could probably stimulate the US economy..just by hiring more staff,and spreading 'that wealth' around a bit more..instead of working one driver 12 hours..why not 1 at 8 hrs,and another at 4?..or..split a 12 hour 'shift' into 2- 6 hour shifts..some people only want..or need to work those shortened hours..for whatever reason..but that would be progressive thinking on new employment strategties..

Here's the rub..'hiring more staff''..which they didn't do Peak 2013 ..they went with the same percentage of staff from 2012..and an unknown amount of volume, IE dropped the ball there..on-line shopping now accounts for 40% of the average X-Mass shopper's total..ask around to those you know who still do the gift giving ritual..get some idea what people are spending..
Do you think UPS 'planned' for such explosive growth?

Expect the unexpected..

Hmmm..

you have a well paying job. be grateful for it. even when it sucks you get paid.

luckily i qualify for financial aid at school because my program is full time and will not be able to work for the next 2 years.

53' trailers, especially the container LCs, are here to stay. They're more economical to move in relation to the volume they carry.
It used to cost approx $750 to put a traler on a train at the BNSF next door to the CACH. That was regardless of size 28'-48'. Now they can double stack two LC containers on the same rail car.

BrownArmy

Yes----all that will be delivered are the closed send agains from Tuesday and whatever air is in the system. We will have 20 drivers on road, mainly to cover the pickups.

Your center might have cleared, but the rest of us will be delivering what we didn't clear yesterday.

I'll easily be working a ten hour day tomorrow.