All the respect in the world for UPS workers but…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
As has already been said, we work for a for-profit company that is in this business to make money. Just like you. The USPS is losing money. UPS is making money. How long do you really think the USPS is going to be the better option?

I'm sorry for your dilemma, but it doesn't make sense for UPS to make concessions for businesses in your position unless they want to end up like the USPS.
They are doing just fine thanks to surepost/smartpost...we are subsidizing them along with fedex

clean hairy

Nice loophole to charge more! It's still a business!
This is from page 16 of the service terms and conditions:

23. Residential Surcharge

A Residential Surcharge will apply if

either the delivery address entered in

the UPS Shipping System or the actual

delivery address is considered Residential

(regardless of a Shipper’s designation of

the address as Commercial).

You can whine all you want, but this is what you agree to when you ship with UPS.

Dr.Brownz

Why don't you just drop your crap off at the UPS store when you go to town for errands/groceries?

On a side rant: A hate customers who regularly ambush you with boxes they were "just getting ready to go to the UPS store" with. These same customers dont seem to understand the difference between UPS and USPS either. Or ones who try to establish pseudo pickups ("Ill leave this sign out if I have a return"). I had an old man repeatedly call the 1800 number on me for not stopping for his homemade UPS sign to take his amazon returns. Customers who ask what time you deliver to a certain area are annoying too.

That is all for now. OP I hope your garage based crap selling endeavor pans out, for you and UPS! LOL

SmithBarney

Shipping is $15.08.
$5.65 to schedule a pick up
$3.25 residential surcharge (never mind I'm a full-time business 30 plus years)
$4.00 Remote Pick up (Not my fault you moved drop off from 10 miles away to 40)
$.55 Fuel Surcharge (Hey I thought fuel went down?)

CDB

Lets break it down...
You are in a rural(extended area) work from home(if you truly are in a zoned business district UPS shouldn't charge this, but if you are working from home, its RESI)

Lets say you are 8minutes away from your drivers closest stop.(could be more/less depending on the day)

So 16minutes of driver time at current wages roughly rural route driver probably topped out ~$34 = $9.07 for labor

Say another 2-4 minutes to pickup package another $1.70

Maybe you are 5miles away, and fuel costs money, lets say the truck gets 15mpg(probably less) @ 2.10gal for diesel so about $1.39 fuel.

Looks like you are getting a fair deal, face it these charges both UPS and FedEx are not arbitrary, the reflect the cost of doing business, and both companies have number crunchers that do this all day everyday a lot better than I can, and clearly they don't want to scare customers away, but they also cannot lose money, you'd be surprised how low the margin is on a single package.
Now if you start shipping out 20+ a day, you'll get a discount, otherwise USPS might be your more cost effective option.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
As an owner of two very small businesses, whoever is deciding they way they charge us is really missing the boat. The extra charges are getting so ridiculous I feel violated and will probably go back to USPS.

My nearest drop off point is about 80 miles round trip. Not exactly cost effective when time is money. What's my alternative? Pick up by a driver. Or time a shipment of supplies the same day as pickup, but unfortunately my customers aren't going to wait until it's convenient for me.

Soooo… I have an account with UPS which is supposed to be better than Joe Blow off the street right? Wrong.

Today I got on line to my account and for a 3.5 pound box that is 14 X 9 X 6 the shipping charge to a city in my own state (near Indianapolis) is $15.08. Not too bad until the extra charges are tacked on.

So now the total to ship a small box only 2 hours away is $28.53. The extra charges added $13.45 or 86 percent to my total charge! The item I shipped is only valued at $80.00.

Oh and btw FedEx isn't any better. So USPS is looking better all the time.

No wonder my suppliers are giving me USPS as an option.

Disgruntled in Indiana.

CDB
It would have cost $29.53, but we gave up our turkeys to get you a discount. Yer welcome. If you're serious about business, why not consider moving closer to civilization? As you said you have to drive 40 miles each way, so likewise, an impromptu pickup could mean the driver is driving 40 miles each way to come pickup your one box and trust me the fuel is costing a lot more than you're paying for your pickup if that's the case.

So, in summary,
Cry-Baby-cry-baby-5490758-500-269.jpg

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
As an owner of two very small businesses, whoever is deciding they way they charge us is really missing the boat. The extra charges are getting so ridiculous I feel violated and will probably go back to USPS.

My nearest drop off point is about 80 miles round trip. Not exactly cost effective when time is money. What's my alternative? Pick up by a driver. Or time a shipment of supplies the same day as pickup, but unfortunately my customers aren't going to wait until it's convenient for me.

Soooo… I have an account with UPS which is supposed to be better than Joe Blow off the street right? Wrong.

Today I got on line to my account and for a 3.5 pound box that is 14 X 9 X 6 the shipping charge to a city in my own state (near Indianapolis) is $15.08. Not too bad until the extra charges are tacked on.

So now the total to ship a small box only 2 hours away is $28.53. The extra charges added $13.45 or 86 percent to my total charge! The item I shipped is only valued at $80.00.

Disgruntled in Indiana.

CDB
good luck with USPS.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If I remember right, frigidsup works in a tiny building.

We have people operate forklifts to move packages, freight, bulk, etc. I have seen more than a few packages with holes in the sides, too.

CharleyHustle

The answer to the problem is he should sell off his two small businesses and open up a package delivery business. Call it "We Deliver For Less".

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.

Disgruntled in Indiana.

CDB
You should try contacting UPS HQ and let them know. We are just employees, nothing we can do about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.