Allowed to cash out sick pay?

rkzy

Hi new member here. I searched for this but couldnt find anything. I was wondering if we are allowed to cash out our sick pay? I have over 92 hours.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Are you management? The only reason I ask is that hourlies receive sick pay in days, not hours. We are not allowed to carry over any unused personal or sick days and are paid for these on or around Dec. 15th. This may vary from region to region.

rkzy

Are you management? The only reason I ask is that hourlies receive sick pay in days, not hours. We are not allowed to carry over any unused personal or sick days and are paid for these on or around Dec. 15th. This may vary from region to region.

I am a PT sorter with 6 years. At my hub we earn our sick pay in hours. It's listed as "OTH" on my pay check. It says I have 92.90 Hours.

old brown shoe

30 year driver
We also get four hours a month up to 400 hours max. When you hit that any extra is paid out at years end. Cash it in when you leave service with the company. Comes to about a weeks pay a year if you max out your hours.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We get our personal (4) and sick (5) days January 1st. We are paid for any unused days on or about December 15th. I normally run out of days before I run out of year.

The one contract topic I would like to see discussed is allowing hourlies to donate unused sick and/or personal time to a fellow employee who may be going through a personal or medical issue. Our local prison guards do this all the time when one of their own is injured and it really helps out the affected employee.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
My back is sore and I could really use a few days off to rest it. Could you all just send some funds this way so I don't put myself in a financial burden?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My back is sore and I could really use a few days off to rest it. Could you all just send some funds this way so I don't put myself in a financial burden?

I expected no less from you so was not surprised by your response. I can only hope that you either have supplemental health/disability insurance or a sizeable emergency fund in case something were to happen to you.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
My response to your post was an attempt at humor. I could lose my job today and be financially secure with a comfortable retirement.

brownrod

In the western region we carry it in hours. And it rolls over from year to yearn until we've built up 400 hours. Once we have 400 sick hours banked all new sick hours are cashed out as they are earned.

And when we retire we are cashed out all banked sick hours.

We also can donate sick hours to others. It has happened several times in my center when an employee has a medical issue and cannot work for a extended length of time.

barnyard

KTM rider
The one contract topic I would like to see discussed is allowing hourlies to donate unused sick and/or personal time to a fellow employee who may be going through a personal or medical issue. Our local prison guards do this all the time when one of their own is injured and it really helps out the affected employee.

We do that here.

A while back a guy at another center was diagnosed with terminal cancer. Enough people donated their vacations so that he could retire with 25 years of service.