almost 8 hours later and I'm still laughing

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have a 3 story medical bldg on my route where the elevator frequently is out of order. If the 2nd & 3rd floor offices have heavy or bulk pkgs, clo 1 & carry on. The doctors offices will ask me the next day what happened, because they didn't get del'd. I mention the elevator was broken, they always understand.

I do hope that you are joking.

I have lost count of how many times I have to had to use the stairs with a handcart full of packages.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Never, I let my on road know as soon as I return to the bldg about the elevator, & he's ok with my decision. I refuse to lug 11 cases of saline solution up any flights of stairs. Same goes for Henry Schein, Alcon, computers, etc. I work smart, not hard.

It's sounds to me like you don't like to work at all.

rod

Retired 22 years
I have a 3 story medical bldg on my route where the elevator frequently is out of order. If the 2nd & 3rd floor offices have heavy or bulk pkgs, clo 1 & carry on. The doctors offices will ask me the next day what happened, because they didn't get del'd. I mention the elevator was broken, they always understand.

If this has become an excepted thing to do (you say your sup is OK with it) I can understand why only maybe 1 in 10 things I order now days is delivered by UPS. I would hope that if that medical office made one phone call they could get their stuff delivered on time----elevator or not. Working smart don't mean becoming a total slacker.

Dr.Brownz

You. Will. Hump.

What if there was no elevator at all? I hauled 50 cases of ream paper up 4 flights of stairs to a dentist office once. It was the job, it had to be done.

You work smart, not hard? Actually you work like someone who'll lose business to another carrier.

"I have a shipment of paper for you, I just need a signature" *they sign* "thank you I stacked it just inside the front door, have a great day!"

I have a ton of stops that are done this way. Your center manager or whoever handles that :censored2: at your center needs to grow balls and tell these business's it's unreasonable to move that much weight up stairs and an "alternate delivery point" needs to be established

"I have a shipment of paper for you, I just need a signature" *they sign* "thank you I stacked it just inside the front door, have a great day!"

I have a ton of stops that are done this way. Your center manager or whoever handles that :censored2: at your center needs to grow balls and tell these business's it's unreasonable to move that much weight up stairs and an "alternate delivery point" needs to be established

It was a 5 story business building with no elevator. Doctor was on 4th floor. He uses the paper in his office. Now where do you feel is an " alternate delivery point".

Balls? Back then the package car drivers had them and we didn't puszy out over a little work. Want easy deliveries? Get a paper route.

imwell

I'm as productive as the methods allow.
23 years and 1 back surgery as a driver. Two more lumbar discs with severe bulges that I'm working to "hold together" for my last few years. Trying to move that type of weight / bulk up 3 stories of stairs in my past is "some" of the reasons my back is in the condition it is. You did the "safe / right" thing by not making the stop without a working elevator. I wouldn't. But you set yourself up for discipline / termination by falsifying your delivery records. Don't sheet as CL or NI if someone IS there. Sheet honestly as missed, maybe even NR (aka the elevator). If you are called into the office to answer for it, just honestly, accurately explain yourself. ALWAYS put your safety first, ALWAYS!

imwell

Awww, were the boxes too heavy for you to carry up the stairs? You poor baby.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Up 3 or more stories of stairs? Depending on their weight, and number of pieces, they very well could be. The point I was trying to make is #1) ALWAYS be honest (to protect your job). Dishonesty is one of the easiest ways for UPS to terminate us. #2) ALWAYS work safe (to protect yourself). Trying to prove the size of your "manhood" won't mean anything if you lose all your feeling below your belly button.

imwell

Is it the customer's fault the elevator is broken?

Sent using BrownCafe App
It's not at all about their fault. It's about OUR FAULT. It's about the choices / decisions WE make. Every driver encounters unique / challenging / even "difficult" situations every day. How WE CHOOSE to deal with it determines the TRUE and FINAL FAULT. Sometimes, the correct answer, the RIGHT answer, is to choose "not to attempt it". All UPS can really ask of us is to be SAFE, and to be Honest / Accurate throughout our work day. Work Safe, and stay Honest My Teamster Brother.

didyousheetit

When they smarten up and learn the right people to call at UPS you'll learn how to hump.
We had a driver fired for hurting his back trying to lift a cart load of packages up a flight of stairs, when the elevator was out. They told him common sense would not have you try that. He got his job back, but couldn't come back because he permanently damaged his back.

Sent using BrownCafe App

imwell

We had a driver fired for hurting his back trying to lift a cart load of packages up a flight of stairs, when the elevator was out. They told him common sense would not have you try that. He got his job back, but couldn't come back because he permanently damaged his back.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Thank you for your input. Exactly the point I'm trying to make.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Thank you for your input. Exactly the point I'm trying to make.

That maybe the driver should have made two trips?
That day I described I made 50. 50 trips up and down the stairs. Two boxes were too heavy so it was one at a time. Took an hour to accomplish but it was done. No NI1. No sticking it to a customer. No praying to Santa Claus they'd build an elevator.

Sure In the Heck,isn't the drivers fault!

Elevator, broken elevator, no elevator, the job is to take the package out of the brown truck and make a delivery. No excuses.
If you were humping up a flight of stairs to pick up your paycheck and get a bj you'd somehow manage.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's not at all about their fault. It's about OUR FAULT. It's about the choices / decisions WE make. Every driver encounters unique / challenging / even "difficult" situations every day. How WE CHOOSE to deal with it determines the TRUE and FINAL FAULT. Sometimes, the correct answer, the RIGHT answer, is to choose "not to attempt it". All UPS can really ask of us is to be SAFE, and to be Honest / Accurate throughout our work day. Work Safe, and stay Honest My Teamster Brother.

It is never the RIGHT answer to not attempt delivery.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That maybe the driver should have made two trips? That day I described I made 50. 50 trips up and down the stairs. Two boxes were too heavy so it was one at a time. Took an hour to accomplish but it was done. No NI1. No sticking it to a customer. No praying to Santa Claus they'd build an elevator. Elevator, broken elevator, no elevator, the job is to take the package out of the brown truck and make a delivery. No excuses.

100% agree.