almost 8 hours later and I'm still laughing

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Last I checked I get paid by the hour. It may be lousy and hard to complete the delivery but it can't be a sunshine and lollipops all the time.

Dr.Brownz

Hey why not skip your lunch and breaks too the customer really needs the package. Don't worry I bet your on road sup will pat you on the back when you get it which will make it all worth it

imwell

I'm as productive as the methods allow.
It is never the RIGHT answer to not attempt delivery.
Sorry My Teamster Brother. I have respect for you. We do the same job. But you are WAY OFF with your response. EVERY SINGLE driver that is following this needs to know that there are times and situations when it is NOT SAFE to continue with the delivery. It may be only once a year, it might happen once a month, but once you've made it to your delivery point, whether you're at the front door, or blocked 2 blocks away, you are already MAKING THE ATTEMPT. Now, once you've had the chance to "survey" the situation / environment, you can make an educated / reasonable decision whether it SAFE to CONTINUE with the delivery. You not only have that right, but you have that OBLIGATION to yourself and to UPS not to get injured making a delivery. Sheet as Missed, maybe even NR as long as you can honesty explain yourself. The point is, if you HONESTLY think an injury could result from continuing with the delivery (or pickup). DON'T DO IT, and record it honestly / accurately. Work safe my friend.

Sorry My Teamster Brother. I have respect for you. We do the same job. But you are WAY OFF with your response. EVERY SINGLE driver that is following this needs to know that there are times and situations when it is NOT SAFE to continue with the delivery. It may be only once a year, it might happen once a month, but once you've made it to your delivery point, whether you're at the front door, or blocked 2 blocks away, you are already MAKING THE ATTEMPT. Now, once you've had the chance to "survey" the situation / environment, you can make an educated / reasonable decision whether it SAFE to CONTINUE with the delivery. You not only have that right, but you have that OBLIGATION to yourself and to UPS not to get injured making a delivery. Sheet as Missed, maybe even NR as long as you can honesty explain yourself. The point is, if you HONESTLY think an injury could result from continuing with the delivery (or pickup). DON'T DO IT, and record it honestly / accurately. Work safe my friend.

Apples and oranges.
SAFETY might appy if say, a storm passed and you don't make an attempt due to tree limbs and power lines down. A fire is in the vacinity and the street is full of emergency vehicles. A vicious dog is out. That is safety.

Not making an attempt because an elevator is out or an elevator doesn't exist and you have to hump a box that's a little heavy and you might break a sweat (despite the job description being the "possibility of repeated lifting of boxes up to 150 lbs") is NOT safety. It means your lazy. Making attempts on every lite package to every customer except the one with the heavy package makes you an embarrassment to the company, the union, and your coworkers.
I read the posts by a few on here about "no way am I attempting. NI1 !!!" and " I'll tell the customer that alternate delivery site needs to be made" and I wonder Who the friend is running these centers? If the CMs I had found out what these guys are pulling by the time they came out of his office they would have a sleepless night from anticipating how much fun they were going to have delivering to that customer the very first thing the next day as well as the "special" route that would be theirs the rest of the week made up of nothing but stops like that.

I'll say it again. The right customer will make the right phone call to the right person and these drivers will have their misconceptions of their job descriptions changed forever.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had a 128 lb pkg of RTA furniture going to a 2nd floor apartment last week. The stairs were such that I could not use my hand cart so I got as close as I could, made sure the package was in my power zone and completed the delivery.

You are not making the attempt if you never get out of the pkg car.

A motivated center manager would call Mr NI1's business and see if they were open, had seen Mr NI1 that day,even if they had a delivery notice of an attempt. If he was never there it would be termination for falsifying delivery records and/ or dishonesty.

AKCoverMan

I was so POed other day. Residential 2nd floor apartment late in the day. Two huge boxes that I have been working around all day. I get to stop go up to apartment to verify someone is home...they are. So I handcart first box as far as I can then roll slide manhandle it up the stairs.. Go back for 2nd mammoth box and get the "hey you already scanned this package" noise from DIAD. Yep, shipper had used duplicate tracking number and on top of it had listed weight as 10 lbs! The side of box meanwhile said Gross Weight 28 kg. which is about 62lbs each.

Not the consignees fault I still delivered. Took pics for management don't know what will happen.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was so POed other day. Residential 2nd floor apartment late in the day. Two huge boxes that I have been working around all day. I get to stop go up to apartment to verify someone is home...they are. So I handcart first box as far as I can then roll slide manhandle it up the stairs.. Go back for 2nd mammoth box and get the "hey you already scanned this package" noise from DIAD. Yep, shipper had used duplicate tracking number and on top of it had listed weight as 10 lbs! The side of box meanwhile said Gross Weight 28 kg. which is about 62lbs each.

Not the consignees fault I still delivered. Took pics for management don't know what will happen.

Sheet the second one as dup stop.

Resident know-it-all.

oldngray

nowhere special
Or just sheet the second package with same shipper number and last 3 digits of tracking number as the ID number, and note why in remarks column. Not 1Z so will show up on a report but you get credit for the package.