Already have DOT card

P

pickup

Re: Already have DOT cardye

I would guess this too. UPS physical standards are tougher than the DOT requires. (Mostly concerning BP). Any of you getting a 1 year card, like me, probably know the DOT doesn't require this for most drivers. UPS requires it at less BP than the DOT.

​Did that make sense??!

It doesn't make sense to me, Over. It is a DOT card and thus you only need to meet the DOT requirements to get the card. The form that I see is a standard form that is used by drivers from all different companies that come to the medical center that I go to , once every two years.

What makes you believe that UPS is imposing their standards(tougher) on the requirements for the card? You might know more than I do since you are obviously more affected by this than I am(at least currently).

But back to the original poster, I still think , regardless of whether or not you have a DOT card with the long form, UPS sends you for a new test.

over9five

Staff member

It doesn't make sense to me, Over. It is a DOT card and thus you only need to meet the DOT requirements to get the card. The form that I see is a standard form that is used by drivers from all different companies that come to the medical center that I go to , once every two years.

What makes you believe that UPS is imposing their standards(tougher) on the requirements for the card? You might know more than I do since you are obviously more affected by this than I am(at least currently).

You're right. In fact, the form we use has the exact DOT requirements for BP right on it. But the reason they insist on using UPS doctors (we can't use just any doctor, right?) is because UPS has their own foolish tighter restrictions.

A couple of years ago, I tried a new doctor that UPS had just started using. She gave me a 2 year card which UPS then rejected because of my BP. It started a big ruckus, the doctor said I was good for 2 years per the DOT guidelines (and I was, anyone can read them theirselves right on the form). UPS insisted I get another physical, I refused and told them I had a DOT card. They said they didn't have to accept it, blah blah blah.
All that BS because I got a 2 year card instead of a 1. You think they would have been happy....

I wish I had a copy of that form. We could compare my BP with the DOT allowance.

P

pickup

You're right. In fact, the form we use has the exact DOT requirements for BP right on it. But the reason they insist on using UPS doctors (we can't use just any doctor, right?) is because UPS has their own foolish tighter restrictions.

A couple of years ago, I tried a new doctor that UPS had just started using. She gave me a 2 year card which UPS then rejected because of my BP. It started a big ruckus, the doctor said I was good for 2 years per the DOT guidelines (and I was, anyone can read them theirselves right on the form). UPS insisted I get another physical, I refused and told them I had a DOT card. They said they didn't have to accept it, blah blah blah.
All that BS because I got a 2 year card instead of a 1. You think they would have been happy....

I wish I had a copy of that form. We could compare my BP with the DOT allowance.

Interesting. It appears to me that it wasn't UPS that had this policy but a few a holes at your hub. It sounds like you were on the 1 year certification plan and managed to get back to the 2 year certification period. Someone was looking to see if you would stay on the 1 year cert. or drop down to the 3 month certification. That person looking at your card... maybe he couldn't accept that someone could go in the opposite direction. Just guessing.