Am I being steamrolled?

Puck

Man,Myth...Legend....
was brought into the office this morning with my steward....
was told they found a calltag in my truck that I did not sheet and was getting a warning letter.....

a few problems with this...

1, the call tag in question was from 9/5 and had been stuffed in the DVIR pouch and been there for a while, was all dirty and what not..
Im a cover driver, Friday was the first time I had done that route in a month...

2, there was nothing in EDD indicating I had a call tag and I did not have any other indication that I was to have any sort of call tag on this day...

I did notice this call tag that was wedged in there at the end of the day but though nothing of it as there are numerous calltags jammed in places in alot of trucks in my building.....

my steward things that I should get a warning letter for this....

am I seriously that out of my mind to think that this is 100% unfair to be getting any sort of discipline for this???

I always sheet my call tags and tracers so why would I blow this one off??? and why does management as well as my steward refuse to acknowledge the stray call tags being left in trucks all of the building? I want to go and collect them and show them that Im right, but I dont want other drivers to get in trouble.....

what the hell is wrong with this company?

Ms Spoken

If the call tag is posted with the the 9/5 date and you were not the driver on that route then your fine.
Oh the games UPS loves to play.

Puck

Man,Myth...Legend....
I cant believe I didnt even ask the sup to track the damn thing to see if it was picked up or sheeted 3x already LOL cant wait to go in the morning and look into this further...

705red

Browncafe Steward
Have your steward file a rebuttal grievance stating tis to put into your file. This will show that you do not agree with this, if your steward says no call your union hall and ask for an agent.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
my steward things that I should get a warning letter for this....
if true, the steward should get the warning letter.

only thing you did wrong was not remove it when you saw it and disposed of it properly. and i dont beleive that is a warning letter item.

then again, they can hand out warning letters like candy on a keter audit day, but making them stick is another story.

d

Sounds like they are looking at the wrong guy. Next time just give any old paperwork to the sups.

Puck

Man,Myth...Legend....
I agree it is not a warning letter issue... how they can pin that on me is completely baffling..... I plan on filing a grievance but it doing so through my BM....

my steward is horrible... he just sits there and lets you battle it out with the sup... he lets it get to the point of yelling and screaming and he does nothing... he does more closed door talking with the sups than anything....

I once wrote a letter to the head of our union about our steward and was berated by not only my BM but my steward as well.... Im sorry but going to both of them seemed pointless, they just dont seem to care... and noone else wants to run for steward...

Puck

Man,Myth...Legend....
Sounds like they are looking at the wrong guy. Next time just give any old paperwork to the sups.

and thats all they had to say..... why the warning letter????? it looks to me like they are trying to create some stuff in my pittsburgh...

I dont know what to do to stop it......

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
if true, the steward should get the warning letter.

only thing you did wrong was not remove it when you saw it and disposed of it properly. and i dont beleive that is a warning letter item.

then again, they can hand out warning letters like candy on a keter audit day, but making them stick is another story.

d
Thanks Daniel, This is the first thing that I noticed. If your steward thinks 'You should get the warning letter' then the steward needs to be taken out to the woodshed.

Do you have any other stewards at your center? I would request someone else or request your BA. This should be an easy one to beat, if indeed you were not on that rte the day that call tag was issued.

Go over the stewards head and get your BA invovled in this.

Puck

Man,Myth...Legend....
Tell them it isn't yours and to go :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: themselves.

that is why my steward says i should get a warning letter.. because i was angryu that i was getting one and argued.... he wants us to be all humble and show remorse.... but in this case what should i have shown remorse for?? i called a spade a spade ..

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
puck puck puck,

in a way he is right, you ought to get one for stupidity

its called control. you never ever lose you temper in a meeting, because when you do, they have won. keep your cool, state your case in a professional manner, then leave. no threats, no name calling, no raised voices. a lot of times they saber rattle just to get a rise out of you. they know they dont have enough, so they go fishing under the guise of you getting a letter.

if they do follow through, file, stamp the grievance on the time clock, five one to the steward, send a copy to the ba, send one to the tramsters with a note as to why you are documenting it this way, and keep one for your file. also make a copy of the tag, and document what routes you were on during this time period. if you beat them at documentation.........it will be they with egg on the face.

when you give them control of the meeting, they know they have got you. break out the best poker face and then leave, short and sweet.

maybe you need to run for steward?

d

Ms Spoken

When you go into work this AM make sure to make a photo copy of this call tag. That way you will have the tracking number and a copy for your file. Go on UPS's website and track it yourself if there is a question if it was even attempted. Good Luck and keep us posted.

over9five

Staff member
Just to play Devils Advocate.....

So you sign off your DVIR in the AM, and find a call tag.

1. Why DIDN'T you attempt or sheet it?

or 2. Why didn't you call in and ask what you should do with it?

Honestly, I think going after a cover driver for this is shameful. Hopefully you will work MUCH more safely on all routes you cover from now on.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND

problem is he didnt sign it off in the AM like he should have. while not something he should get a warning letter over, they do need to follow up on that

as for calling them on it, he was back in the building and figured it was no big deal, leave things where he found them. calling attention to the service failure of another driver is not generally an accepted practice. so he did what many drivers would do, left it for the regular driver who put it there.

my next question would be how many times and by whom was the dvir signed off since the 5th, because each one of them had the same tag there.

d

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I turn my call tag send agains in each night so they can be paled back into the system the next day. If they get lost, it's on them not me. I don't understand why drivers keep them in their cars. After all this time some drivers still don't understand that everything is tracked and there is an electronic record of every move you make.

problem is he didnt sign it off in the AM like he should have. while not something he should get a warning letter over, they do need to follow up on that

This is an assumption Danny, he very well could have signed the AM DVIR and not noticed as "jammed in the pouch" CT, then noticed it in the evening while filling out that days DVIR. BTW, I can see how not signing off the DVIR in the AM could be a warning letter offense, it sure is punishable by law.

as for calling them on it, he was back in the building and figured it was no big deal, leave things where he found them. calling attention to the service failure of another driver is not generally an accepted practice. so he did what many drivers would do, left it for the regular driver who put it there.

I probably would have done the same thing. The problem is they should have already know that this call tag had not been processed to it's intended purpose way before Puck ran that route.

my next question would be how many times and by whom was the dvir signed off since the 5th, because each one of them had the same tag there.

d

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I always sort my call tags to the shelf that they go on. If I put them anywhere else I forget them. When I get to that shelf to sort then I sort them into sequence. If the tags need to go back to the clerk then they get put at the front of shelf 2 right with all my other paper work that I accumulate through out the day. This is also where any air goes that I pick up.

I rarely forget to turn in call tags at the end of the day, this way, but on occasion it does happen.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

problem is he didnt sign it off in the AM like he should have. while not something he should get a warning letter over, they do need to follow up on that d
Danny, if this call tag was signed off previous to Puck doing the rte then he wouldn't have signed it off, at least at our ctr. We don't get records of call tags that have been signed from the day before. We only sign off the for the same day. So if this is the case he would have had no way of knowing that there was a call tag.

Not negating the fact that he should have done something with it when he found it.