Am I loosing it?

UPSGUY72

f9222cb47c1692ef83bdbb982e6c9d1b.jpg

TOS violation :D

By The Book

I made a similar mistake during air driving when the iphone 6 came out. I was getting signatures for all of them but I finally got to a residential address without a response. I really didn't want a send again. So I called the number, nothing. Left the infonotice and left. As I'm wrapping up the rest of my deliveries the woman calls me back and asks me to please try again since her boyfriend was supposed to be home. I head straight over and no response. I call her again saying I'm at the house, his car is in the driveway but no answer. She asks me to wait a couple of minutes while she calls her boyfriend. I wait for 3, then call her back and tell her I will finish the rest of my deliveries and attempt again before I head back in. She assured me that her boyfriend would answer that time. While I'm making these deliveries, she's constantly calling and texting me asking me if I'm on my way, how many deliveries I have left, and to please make the attempt.

After finishing the rest of my deliveries (the last of which I had to drive through a maze of mobile homes only to find myself in a dead end and had to back all the way out while some old ass lady was yelling at me saying I was getting too close to :censored2:) I call her to tell her I'm on my way figuring that will shut her up. Wrong, she's texting me nonstop. I get to the house, the boyfriend's car is still there. No answer. I wait for 5 minutes while she attempts to call him. Finally, I call her back telling her we will try again on Monday. She says no one will be able to answer on Monday because she'll be on vacation and won't be back until Friday. She then asks me how many attempts we will make and I tell her our final attempt will be on Tuesday. She asks me to wait 45 minutes for her to get home from work and I apologize saying I can't. I suggest she arranges to have someone she trusts house sit for her so they can sign for it and she says ok. Not even 10 minutes later, this lady is blowing up my phone with calls and texts. Giving me the play by play of how she's leaving work and getting home, asking me to please come back and wait for her. I tell her I'm already at my center and tell her to please stop insisting as this is my personal number. I see my sup and explain the situation to him. He tells me this is why we never ever call the customers and that I should just ignore her as I've provided enough service.

Lady blew up my phone for the next few hours begging me to make the attempt and that she needs her new phone.
Bro, I fell asleep reading your post. I give pretty darn good service my friend but I'm thinking I'll not use my phone like you did and get jerked around all afternoon. Next time they get one chance to meet you where you decide and that's it.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The cell phone is not the problem.

The OP's inability to draw healthy boundaries with his customers is the problem.

In my opinion, personal cell phones should only be used for work on an urgent, exception-only basis.

I have a grand total of 4 customers who know my number. I have made it clear to them that it is my personal number, they can not demand that I respond to it, and that they need to follow proper procedures and use the 1-800 number for routine issues.

Overpaid Union Thug

The lesson learned here is never use your phone for work issues unless you are in a bind. It's just not worth it. For me the only situation I can think of (at the moment) that is a bind is when I get stuck in traffic and won't make it to a pickup on time/before they close. I would definitely CONSIDER using my phone to call the shipper in that scenario. It depends on who the OMS is back at the center at that moment. If it's a competent one (rare) I will send a message to the center telling them about the situation and let them handle it on their end.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have lost count of how many address corrections I have been able to do on road due to using my cell phone to get clarification on a bad address or other delivery issue.

wayfair

swollen member

one of my older phones had a setting which I could set as showing "private number" to be displayed on others caller id.

I circle the number on the back of the delivery notice now.

clean hairy

There is an app of some type that will let you attach a second phone # to your phone.
No idea if it is free or if there might be a cost, but for those who elect to use the personal cellphone, it is one way for no one to know the real #.
If the # from the app rings, you know not to answer it.

ryansox

When I would cover for routes, some drivers would actually have customers waiting at the first dump stop of the day so they could get their package early. Would of been nice for that driver to let someone know.

box_beeyotch

If anything I'd call in to the building and have them call the customer. My phone is a huge no no, if you put the correct address on the package to begin with it would not be necessary. If you were home or made arrangements when you knew you had a new cell phone coming, it wouldn't be an issue. Not my problem as far as I'm concerned.

UPSGUY72

When I would cover for routes, some drivers would actually have customers waiting at the first dump stop of the day so they could get their package early. Would of been nice for that driver to let someone know.

Been there before. I doesn't turn out to good when that stop doesn't get anything and you don't know you still have to go there because other people are waiting there for you.

SCV good to go sir.

Did you block your number from there on out?
Nope, because I refuse to ever call customers again. If they want their package that bad, they'll use the same day will call option or make proper arrangements.

Bro, I fell asleep reading your post. I give pretty darn good service my friend but I'm thinking I'll not use my phone like you did and get jerked around all afternoon. Next time they get one chance to meet you where you decide and that's it.
Well I hope you had sweet dreams.

I was still very very green at the time (still am in my opinion). I've since learned how to draw the line with our customers.

Last edited:

JackStraw

I've only called a customer once. I had a closet delivery, called before I left building(on UPS's dime). Thankfully they were home. Had them leave the garage open, DR'd em, closed door.

Bad Gas!

I call customers all the time..To come to the dock if they don't have a buzzer.IT makes it easier for me..If a customer call sme looking for a send again, I'll tell em where to meet me on my my route.Again, it helps me and it helps the customer. I will call numbers on bad addresses because I don't take handtruck back to blding, so it can be easy taking into a office than carrying it to center from my car spot..I understand other points of view..In my case case , I make it work for me.

clean hairy

Imagine how that would really throw ORION outta whack for the rest of the day!
Might mess up the ORION compliance % ?

clean hairy

I've only called a customer once. I had a closet delivery, called before I left building(on UPS's dime). Thankfully they were home. Had them leave the garage open, DR'd em, closed door.
Dunno know if I would want to deliver to a Customer who comes out of the closet!

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
If you can't get in it's Ni1 and move on. Calling the phone number on the box could create more problems than it's worth as you found out especially now that she has your number she'll be calling you every time you leave a Ni1 notice looking for her package...

If you decide to call a customer again use *67 when calling a customer it will block your number from showing up. However if the customer blocks unlisted numbers than you won't get through. It's easier to leave info notice and move on.
Just fyi the *67 isnt foolproof. I have a google voice # that i have associated with my cell account and recently noticed blocked calls are automatically unblocked when people call me without the caller's knowledge. I even tested it by calling my # from our home# that has a block on it and from my wife's cell dialing *67 and the real # came up on my cell both times.