Am I reading this right?

browner89

I'm just curious if I'm understanding this correctly or not:

Section 2
All time worked in job classifications subject to hourly rates and
worked on Sundays or holidays shall be paid at double (2) time in
addition to the holiday pay, except in the case of any employee
whose regular work period starts on a Sunday or holiday evening or ends on a Sunday or holiday morning. Employees working Sunday
in an established Sunday operation shall be paid double (2) for the
seventh (7th) consecutive day worked in the Employers established
work week.
The above language shall not apply to extra or non-bid Sunday
feeder work, this work will be offered to qualified drivers in seniority
order at the straight time rate of pay. Qualified drivers must
meet DOT hour’s requirements and complete work timely to start
his/her normal Monday bid start time.
In the event no qualified feeder driver selects this work, the work
will be offered to replacement drivers at straight time rate of pay.

I'm reading this as that:

If I work on a Sunday I'm subject to double time + holiday pay (4 hours for part time, 8 for full) for working Sundays. My normal work week starts on a Monday, not Sunday evening, Sunday is an extra day for us.

Am I correct on my assessment or am I misunderstanding the contract?

Another question, if we're working Sundays in addition to Monday through Friday do we get overtime pay for all of Friday as well due to it being our 6th punch in? I couldn't find anything about that in my supplement but I'm also not the best at finding these things in contracts due to the language used.

Thanks for all the help.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I would assume yes...double time for sunday work..however...if you are PT...i dont believe you'll get OT for your sixth punch. We get OT after 5 hours...and after 40 straight time hours...the way I understand it.

browner89

I would assume yes...double time for sunday work..however...if you are PT...i dont believe you'll get OT for your sixth punch. We get OT after 5 hours...and after 40 straight time hours...the way I understand it.

Yeah, I had heard about the 6th punch language but couldn't find it in the contract anywhere so had my doubts.

By The Book

Check with your steward to be sure. Thats the way it was explained to me.
Good advice here, may want to have your b.a. Look over the language as well. If your supplement says Sunday is double time you should get that. As for the 6th punch I know as a full-timer you get it, not sure about part time. If you go over 40 hours it should be overtime. I'm a steward and sometimes it's nice to read the contract with the BA to clarify the intent of the language.

upschuck

No, you don't get holiday pay, unless it is a holiday. If, the word "the" wasn't in "to the holiday pay" I would agree with you. Little word, big difference.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I'm just curious if I'm understanding this correctly or not:
I'm reading this as that:

If I work on a Sunday I'm subject to double time + holiday pay (4 hours for part time, 8 for full) for working Sundays. My normal work week starts on a Monday, not Sunday evening, Sunday is an extra day for us.

Am I correct on my assessment or am I misunderstanding the contract?

Another question, if we're working Sundays in addition to Monday through Friday do we get overtime pay for all of Friday as well due to it being our 6th punch in? I couldn't find anything about that in my supplement but I'm also not the best at finding these things in contracts due to the language used.

Thanks for all the help.

Sounds like you are part time. Did you read Section 3?

Section 3

When operating schedules require that part time employees work on
a holiday, they shall be given the next day off as the holiday. If
required to work that next day, they shall be given the premium pay
for holiday work. If not required to work that next day, they shall
be given holiday pay. However, the work done on the holiday itself
shall be paid for at regular rates.

You only get double time for working a holiday if you are scheduled to work the following day.

You may or may not get double time for working Sunday. It says you get double time for an "established" Sunday operation. If they put in a Sunday operation for peak, is this an "established" Sunday operation subject to double time? How long does it have to be in for to be considered "established?" I am not in the Central PA Supplement, so I do not know.

As for your 6th punch, your supplement does not specify time and a half for a 6th punch. It does in the Central, but not in the Central PA. It does not specify time and a half if you have reached 30 hours for the week already like some supplements. You may be straight time even for your 6th day.

You need to talk to your BA or steward. I'm sure these issues have already been clarified.