Am I screwed

Saltybrownie

I just got a speeding ticket going 5 over (haven't gotten one in about 4 years ) but I still have 10 days left in my packet .... Im in Utah

Johney

I just got a speeding ticket going 5 over (haven't gotten one in about 4 years ) but I still have 10 days left in my packet .... Im in Utah
Seriously? And to answer your question, not unless they ask you to fill out you yearly ticket report(whatever they call it)tomorrow then you're screwed.

Saltybrownie

I'm gonna go and try to get traffic school to keep it off my record but salt lake has a stupid 3 ticket in a lifetime rule for traffic school ... At least my mind is a lil bit more in ease now

AllOnTheHorses

go to court, ask judge to drop it because of your new career.. if that fails, as a last resort, ask (in court) to have radar calibrations introduced to prove the radar gun is working properly. Many times the cop doesn't bring it and the case is dropped.
When UPS does ask you to fill out ticket list, don't lie. They will catch you. A guy in a tie has that job.. and he pays for his own insurance and doesn't like you.. well.. anyone.
Seriously.. #1 - beg, #2 - calibrations.

I am a UPS driver and I also happen to have a law degree (I practiced for 5 years as a full time attorney). Therefore, I feel uniquely qualified to answer this question. However, I must preface this by stating that (1) I am not your lawyer and (2) I am not licensed to practice law in the state of Utah, and (3) I am only stating an opinion and not giving you legal advice.

Ok, first of all slow down! Then again, a ticket for 5 over seems slightly ridiculous. Were you really only going 5 over and the cop was a jerk or were you going much faster and the cop was nice? Doesn't matter....here's what matters: a traffic ticket is an allegation, not a conviction. Like any other crime you are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. You need to contact a local traffic attorney who can get your ticket "fixed" or amended to a non-moving violation. I don't know how things work in Utah but call a lawyer who does. Getting a routine ticket taken care of by a lawyer shouldn't be terribly expensive and it's definitely worth it if the alternative is jeopardizing your employment status.

Finally, slow down!! I know all too well the demands of this job (especially for new hires) but don't take safety related shortcuts. It ain't worth it and eventually you'll get burned. Good luck!

rod

Retired 22 years
"loose lips sink ships" ----an old WWII saying but its still true at UPS. Keep your mouth shut and eventually (probably a year or so) they will come around with a form where you should report it--------but that will be up to you at that time. I wouldn't---but then again that's me. If I would have reported my "history" to UPS I never would have been hired. Above all take any advise you get off an internet forum lightly. Especially from self confessed know-it-alls.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I am a UPS driver and I also happen to have a law degree (I practiced for 5 years as a full time attorney). Therefore, I feel uniquely qualified to answer this question. However, I must preface this by stating that (1) I am not your lawyer and (2) I am not licensed to practice law in the state of Utah, and (3) I am only stating an opinion and not giving you legal advice.

Ok, first of all slow down! Then again, a ticket for 5 over seems slightly ridiculous. Were you really only going 5 over and the cop was a jerk or were you going much faster and the cop was nice? Doesn't matter....here's what matters: a traffic ticket is an allegation, not a conviction. Like any other crime you are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. You need to contact a local traffic attorney who can get your ticket "fixed" or amended to a non-moving violation. I don't know how things work in Utah but call a lawyer who does. Getting a routine ticket taken care of by a lawyer shouldn't be terribly expensive and it's definitely worth it if the alternative is jeopardizing your employment status.

Finally, slow down!! I know all too well the demands of this job (especially for new hires) but don't take safety related shortcuts. It ain't worth it and eventually you'll get burned. Good luck!

A practicing attorney for five years, a PT OMS asked to join an ORION team, an off and on sessional driver for a couple years and one of the safest and most productive drivers in you center.

Yeah……………right………….

Go away, troll.