Am I stuck on the dock forever?

Discussion in 'UPS Freight' started by UPS_RH, May 7, 2014.

1. UPS_RH

UPS_RH New Member

I accepted a position as a "dockworker". I had a military CDL, I am getting the civilian version on my own time. I was under the impression that once I put my time in on the dock I could get a driver position. The HR lady that did our orientation said that to get promoted off the dock you have to have at least 3 yrs driving experience and 10 yrs for some positions???

This is in contrast to everything I have heard thus far? What are you guys seeing?

2. sppollock

sppollock Member

Not true, we have several drivers right out of school. If you get your CDL you will have a better chance than someone off the street.

3. UPS_RH

UPS_RH New Member

Thanks, I asked our OPS SUP last night and he said get the CDL and I will go right into the pool and get my experience with a city driver.

Our HR lady was new and told us a lot of false info.

4. busterbrownlady

busterbrownlady New Member

The way it works here is you serve your time on dock, get seniority , two year clean record then sign the bid sheets. The person with seniority wins. I drove pkg car 21 years before I had seniority to go into feeders.

Sent using BrownCafe App

5. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

This is the Freight forum.

6. busterbrownlady

busterbrownlady New Member

My bad .. So sorry

Sent using BrownCafe App

7. cachsux

cachsux Wah

Freight or not, in the Chicago area, if you want a driving job right now then it's all on you for not filling out an application.