Am I stuck on the dock forever?

UPS_RH

I accepted a position as a "dockworker". I had a military CDL, I am getting the civilian version on my own time. I was under the impression that once I put my time in on the dock I could get a driver position. The HR lady that did our orientation said that to get promoted off the dock you have to have at least 3 yrs driving experience and 10 yrs for some positions???

This is in contrast to everything I have heard thus far? What are you guys seeing?

sppollock

Not true, we have several drivers right out of school. If you get your CDL you will have a better chance than someone off the street.

UPS_RH

Thanks, I asked our OPS SUP last night and he said get the CDL and I will go right into the pool and get my experience with a city driver.

Our HR lady was new and told us a lot of false info.

busterbrownlady

The way it works here is you serve your time on dock, get seniority , two year clean record then sign the bid sheets. The person with seniority wins. I drove pkg car 21 years before I had seniority to go into feeders.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Freight or not, in the Chicago area, if you want a driving job right now then it's all on you for not filling out an application.