Am I stupid for turning down a bid into feeders?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
be cool to try then. I'm also pretty intimidated by the equipment though

It's just like anything else. You get used to it. You just have to put the go-go mentality of package car in the grave when you come back here. Getting in a hurry is like putting one bullet in the revolver and pulling the trigger...it's only a matter of time.

But rarely do you see feeder drivers go back to package car. And the ones who do usually show up in the class the following year and stay for good. The difference between feeders and package car is like night and day, for the better.

rod

Retired 22 years
I never saw a feeder driver go back to package on his own and make it. We did have a feeder route eliminated and that guy did make it as a package driver but was a miserable SOB for the rest of his career.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I got it and turned it down. Ive been on day shift for like 23 yrs, I like being home at night. I have no kids at home. I dont want to commit 3 yrs, I believe that is what they ask, and I sure as heck dont want to be on I90/271/480 in Cleveland in the winter....With 52 ft behind me. 28 is enough.

Man Of Brown

Appreciate all the input. My main reason for wanting to go to feeders is to get away from the wear and tear of package. And if I'm going to want to be in feeders I might as well get some seniority built. Who knows maybe next time.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
Well, I personally think you made the right choice. Really depends on your bldg, the seniority, but on average, you won't get your summers off until about 20 years in and your kids will be all grown up by then.

Having less than a year in, you will be on the qualified list pretty much throughout your kids years in school. This means you are on call, mostly at night, ending Saturday morning, starting Sunday night....for at least 10 years on average at your seniority level..likely more.

However, if you were even contacted...that's a plus. maybe seniority is low in your bldg but I would go to the feeder office and look at the seniority list then make up your mind the next time around.

When I say summers off, that's pretty much June through the end of August, you won't likely ever get a week off. Think of your time with the kids, time with the family, and every night from around 6 or 7 PM, you will be working until about 7AM for the next 20 years.

There will be times when you cover day runs, but don't count on that all the time.

Check the seniority first, and remember.....as you progress, there will be lists posted and likely others with more seniority will keep entering feeders and you stay on the qualified list.

You will be out to dinner on a Sunday afternoon with the family and get a call asking for you to be at work in 2 hrs. This will happen with only 1 year in for many many years.

Is your wife prepared for this? She will be the one putting the kids to bed for the rest of their childhood.

It's a tough pill to swallow, personally, learn the methods, don't run, don't skip your lunch, and stay in delivery and grow with the kids.

Again, it's all based on seniority, be sure to check it out.
This is the most inaccurate and "kitty" description possible. You have more control over your family life in feeder than, you'd ever dream of in package. You can work M-friend, T-Sat, or Sun-Th, on a week to week basis, depending on your bid for the week. Plenty of 4 day weekends can be scheduled for family time. If you work 60 hours during the week, there is no way you'd have to be on call over your weekend. As for nights, that's what you want as a young father! Share dinner, put your kids to bed each night, kiss the wife goodnight and head out to work at 9-11p. Get home 12 hours later and spend the late morning or early afternoon with them, and be available to catch their school functions and activities. Most importantly, have daily one on one time with your wife.

As a father, it should be your obligation to be a provider in the best way possible. The $30k raise should provide a lot of opportunity for your family and allow your wife to be a stay at home mom and really nurture your children.

I wouldn't say your stupid for turning it down, but it doesn't sound like the most responsible or mature decision an honest working father could make. Your family time will always fit around your work schedule, when you're a feeder driver. Not to mention that you'll wok harder and for less money in package. You're going to miss a boatload of your kid's lives as a package driver. You just don't know it yet. Anybody who says otherwise is talking out of their rear end.

Last edited:

Overpaid Union Thug

This is the most inaccurate description possible. You have more control over your family life in feeder than, you'd ever dream of in package? You can work M-friend, T-Sat, or Sun-Th, on a week to week basis, depending on your bid for the week. If you work 60 hours during the week, there no way you'd have to be on call over your weekend.

Oh, and your a father, too, right? It should be your obligation to be a provider in the best way possible. The $30k raise should provide a lot of opportunity for your family and allow your wife to be a stay at home mom and really nurture your children.

I wouldn't say your stupid for turning it down, but it doesn't sound like the most responsible or mature decision an honest working father could make. Your family time will always fit around your work schedule, when you're a feeder driver. Not to mention that you'll wok harder and for less money in package. You're going to miss a boatload of your kid's lives as a package driver. You just don't know it yet. Anybody who says otherwise is talking out of their rear end.
Then there's working nights for years on end until you reach that magic spot on the seniority list. But by then the kids are grown and have their own lives. And working nights isn't right for many people. I know I'm one of them. Coming home from work at 8am and sleeping during the day was something I couldn't get used to. I tried it at another job years ago.

Personally I'd rather sleep normal hours and stay relatively fit in the process. The extra money isn't worth it for me. These things, as well as what you and others have said, need to be considered because everyone reacts differently.

Kicked Your Dog

Then there's working nights for years on end until you reach that magic spot on the seniority list. But by then the kids are grown and have their own lives. And working nights isn't right for many people. I know I'm one of them. Coming home from work at 8am and sleeping during the day was something I couldn't get used to. I tried it at another job years ago.

Personally I'd rather sleep normal hours and stay relatively fit in the process. The extra money isn't worth it for me. These things, as well as what you and others have said, need to be considered because everyone reacts differently.
This is a lame excuse for not going feeder. Be honest-you're either scared of the equipment or you can't trust your wife at home alone. Also, you are not staying in shape, in package, you are grinding your body down. That's like saying your car will last 30 years because every day you exercise it by driving in traffic for 12 hours-BS! You can be much healthier in feeder, because your not breaking your body down everyday, BUT, you need to exercise an hour a day, a few times a week and eat food from home.

Have fun in package, homeboy. Your spot in feeder is gladly appreciated by the guy who took it, I'm sure.

Overpaid Union Thug

This is a lame excuse for not going feeder. Be honest-you're either scared of the equipment or you can't trust your wife at home alone. Also, you are not staying in shape, in package, you are grinding your body down. That's like saying your car will last 30 years because every day you exercise it by driving in traffic for 12 hours-BS! You can be much healthier in feeder, because your not breaking your body down everyday, BUT, you need to exercise an hour a day, a few times a week and eat food from home.

Have fun in package, homeboy. Your spot in feeder is gladly appreciated by the guy who took it, I'm sure.
What the hell is your problem? The guy wanted people's opinions and now you are attacking me for mine not being in line with yours. You have self esteem issues.... HOME BOY! LOL!

And no..... I'm not breaking my body down in package. I actually follow the methods and treat my job and body like I'm going to be around another 15 years because that's what my goal is.

And being healthy is based on habits. I've seen more hefty feeder driver's than in package. And that's a fact Jack. Or.....HOME BOY.

Kicked Your Dog

What the hell is your problem? The guy wanted people's opinions and now you are attacking me for mine not being in line with yours. You have self esteem issues.... HOME BOY! LOL!

And no..... I'm not breaking my body down in package. I actually follow the methods and treat my job and body like I'm going to be around another 15 years because that's what my goal is.

And being healthy is based on habits. I've seen more hefty feeder driver's than in package. And that's a fact Jack. Or.....HOME BOY.
You've shared your opinion as if it was fact, when in fact you only know your fear. I've done both jobs, you have not. You only have fearful assumptions and unfounded opinion. You do a disservice to Teamster brothers looking to improve their careers at UPS, when you spread fear through assumptions, homeboy.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Got a call today. I signed a bid sheet for back up feeder spot. Ask a few questions but ended up saying no. Am I stupid? I know there's personal preferences on what's enjoyable and what's not. But I am starting to second guess my decision.

I'm less than a year into driving. Early 30's. Married with young kids. A little intimidated about driving a big rig. A little nervous about driving them on snowy roads (we have winter here). The job seems easy but a bit boring. Anyways. Opinions please.
maybe you should have asked this question before turning down the job?

Overpaid Union Thug

You've shared your opinion as if it was fact, when in fact you only know your fear. I've done both jobs, you have not. You only have fearful assumptions and unfounded opinion. You do a disservice to Teamster brothers looking to improve their careers at UPS, when you spread fear through assumptions, homeboy.
What the hell are you talking about :censored2:? I simply provided my opinion on why I wouldnt choose feeders. And that's exactly what the OP wanted. Now go beat your chest elsewhere.

Kicked Your Dog

What the hell are you talking about :censored2:? I simply provided my opinion on why I wouldnt choose feeders. And that's exactly what the OP wanted. Now go beat your chest elsewhere.
How the hell do you know you'll be "working nights years on end?" How do you know nights aren't a preferential shift? You make claims that these things are horrible across the board, but you're not a feeder driver. Share your opinion, but don't spew it as factual. Why spread "your assumptions" as fact. That's all I'm saying. Don't be a hindrance to others, that's what UPSTATE is for.

Last edited:

BrownArmy

How the hell do you know you'll be "working nights years on end?" How do you know nights aren't a preferential shift? You make claims that these things are horrible across the board, but you're not a feeder driver. Share your opinion, but don't spew it as factual. Why spread "your assumptions" as fact. That's all I'm saying. Don't be a hindrance to others, that's what UPSTATE is for.

Everything OUT posts is 'factual'.

OUT doesn't seem to understand that other people have different/equally valid viewpoints.

moldsporh

This is the most inaccurate and "kitty" description possible. You have more control over your family life in feeder than, you'd ever dream of in package. You can work M-friend, T-Sat, or Sun-Th, on a week to week basis, depending on your bid for the week. Plenty of 4 day weekends can be scheduled for family time. If you work 60 hours during the week, there is no way you'd have to be on call over your weekend. As for nights, that's what you want as a young father! Share dinner, put your kids to bed each night, kiss the wife goodnight and head out to work at 9-11p. Get home 12 hours later and spend the late morning or early afternoon with them, and be available to catch their school functions and activities. Most importantly, have daily one on one time with your wife.

As a father, it should be your obligation to be a provider in the best way possible. The $30k raise should provide a lot of opportunity for your family and allow your wife to be a stay at home mom and really nurture your children.

So for a less than 1 year employee, you think he will have the pick of the litter? Are you serious?

I'm not doubting the fact you will have more flexible day time, I pretty much gave him the cons.

I will say again, since the OP is likely NOT in your district.....Check the feeder list in YOUR bldg, this is for the OP. Check the seniority, and check the route times. Couple that with your commute to the bldg and see if that will fall in line with school times and bed times.

gorilla75jdw

Everybody is different, do whatever you are comfortable with , but it wouldn't hurt to give it a try on the next bid . If you don't like it , simply disqualify yourself , but getting your c.d.l. surely doesn't hurt your career . Having a cdl in your back pocket would help greatly if you were terminated (God forbid that to ever happen) for something . I'm a 22.3 who has been with the company for 23 years 8 of those fulltime 22.3 . I finally landed a day job 22.3 Combo job from 8am to 5pm , less hours than my previous 22.3 job , but I would not trade what I have now with my family for anything . Much luck to you brother as I have worked nights for 20 of those 23 years , so I do speak of experience.