Am I wasting my time working for UPS?

Oilerfan

Hey everyone,

First of all I wanted to say this is a pretty cool website and seems to have many friendly people.

So, I'm 25 years old and I applied to work for UPS and I have an interview tommorow for a preloader position. I was looking for some information on yahoo and I came across this website. Unfortunately, after spending an hour reading through various threads I'm having doubts if I want to go work for this company, nevermind going in for my interview.

It seems there is plenty complaints from about every possible angle (wage, new hires stealing jobs, harassment, ect )

I'm hoping someone can give me an honest assessment of what I should expect (wage, working conditions, ect) Is working as a preloader as miserable and hard as it sounds?

Also, my potential shift is from 3:30AM-9AM, and I live in Calgary, Alberta if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your time and your thoughtful replies,

Oilerfan

Last edited:

UPSGUY72

No matter where you go to work people are always going to be bitching about the working condition. You will find that a lot of people complain here about different things you will also notice that most of them are still working for UPS.

I complain about the pay all the time I mean I only make $30 hr who would be complaining.

bumped

Oilerfan...What are you looking to get out of the job. A career? a few extra bucks to spend at the bar? health insurance?

Oilerfan

No matter where you go to work people are always going to be bitching about the working condition. You will find that a lot of people complain here about different things you will also notice that most of them are still working for UPS.

I'd venture that a majority of people who complain about there jobs continue working at that current employment more-or-less because they are desperate.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if I can work as a landscaper tomorrow for 15/h, is there any point working for UPS pre-loader for what it sounds like 9.50-10.5? Is working for UPS, enjoyable?

Money isn't the be-all-end-all for me! That really needs to be stated.

My top priority is enjoying work and from what I gather via reading various threads is that the preloader position is basically boot-camp with very little time for shooting the shyt with fellow employees. GO GO GO GO GO GO

Am I going to hate my job?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
It's a good job, most of us wouldn't still be here if it wasn't. You're just going to be a part timer, so if you don't like it you can always quit and go back to landscaping like you said, no harm no foul. Don't over think this, at the end of the day it's just another job.

Oilerfan

Oilerfan...What are you looking to get out of the job. A career? a few extra bucks to spend at the bar? health insurance?

A career is nice - but putting in 5 years to become a driver seems crazy when there is plenty of opportunity for that where I live for great rates and all that is needed is a class 1.. none of this seniority business.

Health insurance is probably at the bottom of my list to be honest.

The top of my list is having a job that is enjoyable, where I just go about my business, work hard, but not feel pressured to work like a slave.

klein

Für Meno :)
Hi Gretzky (oiler fan), I previously lived in Bowness, Calgary for 14 years.

To tell you straight up, no sense doing preload at UPS (very little money, no bennies for a whole year).
Lots of lifting and back breaking going on, too.
Dusty work, hot work in the summer, ice cold in the winter.
I wouldn't do it. It's basically unloading trailers by hand half the night (hand-bombing).

Pay is about $12 hr, just as much as Micky D's pays !
Not worth it.

Re-Raise

A career is nice - but putting in 5 years to become a driver seems crazy when there is plenty of opportunity for that where I live for great rates and all that is needed is a class 1.. none of this seniority business.

The top of my list is having a job that is enjoyable, where I just go about my business, work hard, but not feel pressured to work like a slave.

Sounds like you have already made up your mind. There will be people who interview for the job who will want it more than you do. Let them have it and stick to landscaping.

It isn't easy work, especially in the beginning, and you don't sound like your heart is in it if you already are thinking about shooting the shyt with your co workers. ( No wonder my landscaping is never done properly)

Oilerfan

Hi Gretzky (oiler fan), I previously lived in Bowness, Calgary for 14 years.

To tell you straight up, no sense doing preload at UPS (very little money, no bennies for a whole year).
Lots of lifting and back breaking going on, too.
Dusty work, hot work in the summer, ice cold in the winter.
I wouldn't do it. It's basically unloading trailers by hand half the night (hand-bombing).

Pay is about $12 hr, just as much as Micky D's pays !
Not worth it.

I'm living in Bowness right now.. perhaps I'm living in your old place! haha

I appreciate your thorough analysis.

Best of luck to your Canucks vs Boston.

UPSGUY72

If you want a job like that you need to start your own business and be the boss, other wise you will always be a slave to someone as you will always have to answer to someone above you.

TheKid

If "job enjoyment" is at the top of your list . . . keep walking. BTW . . . have fun landscaping when you are 60 yrs. old and have no pension, insurance, or job security.

klein

He's Canadian !
He gets free healthcare, gets Canada Pension, and like he said, it's the bottom of the list for him !

And I just got a bad reputation for the above said.
Oh well, hope your happy !

Oilerfan

Sounds like you have already made up your mind. There will be people who interview for the job who will want it more than you do. Let them have it and stick to landscaping.

It isn't easy work, especially in the beginning, and you don't sound like your heart is in it if you already are thinking about shooting the shyt with your co workers. ( No wonder my landscaping is never done properly)

I haven't made up my mind, just looking for some details, that's all.

I just assumed from the pay of this job that it would be a little less demanding than, say, roofing which someone in Calgary can make 18-20/h with no experience.

And when I say "shooting the shyt" I don't mean standing around. I'm talking more of a enjoyable work environment than a concentration camp feel.

And if someone did a hack job on your landscaping, its more than likely because they weren't enjoying what they were doing, as opposed to "shooting the shyt".

Thanks for your reply. I think I'll at least go in for the interview and meet the guys I would be working for.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
If you're asking this question, then yes you are! Oh, and btw, I'd steer clear of "the other" Canadian that responded to your post. That is all!

klein

You may want to pm Mike23. He's a driver at UPS in Calgary.
He will tell you how that center is run. (that's if he is still there)

Re-Raise

He's Canadian !
He gets free healthcare, gets Canada Pension, and like he said, it's the bottom of the list for him !

And I just got a bad reputation for the above said.
Oh well, hope your happy !

Are all Canadians kind of on the lazy side like you?

Oilerfan

If "job enjoyment" is at the top of your list . . . keep walking. BTW . . . have fun landscaping when you are 60 yrs. old and have no pension, insurance, or job security.

Is enjoying work such a foreign concept in America?

From the re: preloader threads I searched it seemed everyone thought it was a horrible job.. I just wanted to see if it was as miserable as some make it sound.

As for you, hopefully you live long enough to enjoy retirement. Cheers.

upsgrunt

Is the Canadian pension equivalent to the US's social security? I know that Canadian pension is far superior, but are they basically the same?