Amazon and "60 Minutes"

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I did not make this up. Supposedly FedEx Corporate sent an e-mail to each of your stations in which they stated what I relayed above. The reason given was the inability to handle the volume.

I was listening to two managers yesterday saying that the volume this Saturday was projected to be double last Saturday, due to Amazon.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I did not make this up. Supposedly FedEx Corporate sent an e-mail to each of your stations in which they stated what I relayed above. The reason given was the inability to handle the volume.

If this is true, and it sounds like it is, how does that reflect on FedEx this far from Christmas? friend-A-I-L.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If this is true, and it sounds like it is, how does that reflect on FedEx this far from Christmas? friend-A-I-L.

Actually, it's more like this...GROSS LEADERSHIP FAILURE. Based on their performance, our entire upper management team should be fired. This is using their own policies and rationale. So, Fred, Dave, Matt, and the rest of you...I want your resignations and ID badges on my desk tomorrow,

NonyaBiznes

Yanked Out My Purple-Blood I.V. In 2000!
Five 53' trailers sitting at ramp as of yesterday. No scans, just a tag on the back ...

"AMAZON" ... expecting more tonight.

One of the sorting facilities was shut down a few years back; now they don't have the man/woman power or the space, to sort any of this stuff.

El Morado Diablo

Any truth to the rumor that FedEx Corporate told Amazon that they would be unable to accept any more volume during Peak?

We were told FedEx told Amazon we wouldn't be delivering their Sat freight this weekend. I'm guessing it had to do with the forecasts they had for the current icy weather.

The downside is that we will have to handle all of that stuff early next week.

hypo hanna

Monday will be a disaster for those markets. Between the two big storms , the fedex express system is backed up pretty bad. Not much chance we could handle a lot of extra volume right now. Like MFE likes to say, the chickens are coming home to roost. Seeing a lot of unnecessasary service failures, breakdowns and unhappy customers even before the real peak volume hits the system.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Monday will be a disaster for those markets. Between the two big storms , the fedex express system is backed up pretty bad. Not much chance we could handle a lot of extra volume right now. Like MFE likes to say, the chickens are coming home to roost. Seeing a lot of unnecessasary service failures, breakdowns and unhappy customers even before the real peak volume hits the system.

Yes. And when it comes to Amazon and their huge discount, what kind of revenue is FedEx realizing off of all that freight. I know people that order diapers and ramen via Amazon. Someone else mentioned popcorn, which isn't exactly a high revenue item either, so Amazon isn't paying much per package. I guess Fred thinks he'll make it up on volume, which sounds good until you realize that Express cannot handle the volume, nor will it be able to be given all of the problems management has created by trying to pinch pennies instead of doing the job right, with quality, motivated employees who have a stake in their organization. It's just going to get "better" as Peak rolls on. Wait until the Ground volume they can't handle gets tossed our way...another genius move by MEM>

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

have you seen the size of the recent storm systems? I have no idea how you reroute around that.

We have loads that were supposed to go to the impacted areas being processed at CACH. If we have weather issues at Worldport they divert to Philly or Dallas.

You are right, there's not much you can do when it comes to dealing with ice.

bbsam

Staff member
We have loads that were supposed to go to the impacted areas being processed at CACH. If we have weather issues at Worldport they divert to Philly or Dallas.

You are right, there's not much you can do when it comes to dealing with ice.
our impacted routes are mainly north/south routes. Sometimes you just have to wait it out.

TUT

Yes. And when it comes to Amazon and their huge discount, what kind of revenue is FedEx realizing off of all that freight. I know people that order diapers and ramen via Amazon. Someone else mentioned popcorn, which isn't exactly a high revenue item either, so Amazon isn't paying much per package. I guess Fred thinks he'll make it up on volume, which sounds good until you realize that Express cannot handle the volume,

Good thing Express gets just a little of the Amazon pie.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Good thing Express gets just a little of the Amazon pie.

Express has a slice, but they can't handle it, a couple of weeks before Christmas. That means the volume will have to go to someone else. That's what happens when your upper management "solution" is just to direct people to work faster and deliver more packages. Very poor planning, not enough vehicles or equipment etc.

purplesky

True but advance planning will reroute the volume around the impacted areas.

UPS is rerouting hundreds of loads by rail as we speak. Feeders had a steady stream of rail loads going out the gate all day yesterday. Loads going East and West and south.

UPS pays the bills for CSX rail:wink2: in my region. I was told by a CSX rep.