Amazon at it again

rod

Retired 22 years
Now I read that Amazon is toying with the idea of sending people stuff they didn't order based on their past ordering history. I have always been under the assumption that anything you receive that was not ordered was yours to keep---free. Amazon says they hope people will return the stuff they don't want. Good luck with that. I hope they aren't planning on using the profits from this hair brained idea to pay for that robot delivery pipe dream. The head of Amazon must have some amazing drugs.
I can hardly wait for my free stuff to start arriving.

jim_flint

Now I read that Amazon is toying with the idea of sending people stuff they didn't order based on their past ordering history. I have always been under the assumption that anything you receive that was not ordered was yours to keep---free. Amazon says they hope people will return the stuff they don't want. Good luck with that. I hope they aren't planning on using the profits from this hair brained idea to pay for that robot delivery pipe dream. The head of Amazon must have some amazing drugs.
Read it again. They're not shipping the stuff you are expected to buy to you, only to your nearest distribution center. Henry Ford invented this idea about 100 years ago. It's called efficiency.

oldngray

nowhere special

I had a place send me stuff I didn't order. They said if I wanted to keep it send X amount of dollars. But in the fine print they admitted I was under no obligation to pay. I ignored it and kept the stuff. They sent me a couple of more letters asking for money before they gave up. They never sent me anything else I didn't ask for so it worked out like I wanted.

rod

Retired 22 years
I ordered some coins awhile back fully knowing that I was going to be sent future coins on approval. Their ad stated I could cancel my subscription for coins on approval at any time. When I got my first batch of approval coins I took a photo copy of their original ad with the statement "cancel anytime" underlined and sent everything back. I told them this was their official notice to cancel me and any coins received from here on out I would keep for free. Its been two months and no more coins so I think my plan worked.
When I was delivering I got tired hearing people say "I never ordered anything". They were always amazed when I told them if you really didn't order it---keep it for free.

rod

Retired 22 years
Read it again. They're not shipping the stuff you are expected to buy to you, only to your nearest distribution center. Henry Ford invented this idea about 100 years ago. It's called efficiency.

That's not what the story I read said. MSN home page

rod

Retired 22 years

I did read the story again and apparently they changed it because I the first one I read even quoted someone at Amazon saying "we hope the consumer who receives an unwanted item would return it".

jim_flint

I did read the story again and apparently they changed it because I the first one I read even quoted someone at Amazon saying "we hope the consumer who receives an unwanted item would return it".
I saw that line in your post after I posted mine. I've been looking around and seen different sources having it different ways. I'm going to see if I can find a copy of the actual patent, since it seems that's where these newsplaces are all getting their leads from.

jim_flint

The patent is 8615473, and based on my quick reading of it, it seems like the big idea is to determine that there are several customers in an area who may want certain item(s), and to package and ship these to an undeliverable address in that area, and to then use in-transit address correction to redirect the package to the eventual customer.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is getting a little out of hand..... Pre shipping items you don't order. I see a catastrophe coming in amazons future.

They are not pre-shipping items to consignees----they are stocking DC's with one million of the most often-ordered items which will be available for delivery when customers place their online grocery orders.

BrownSuit

That's not what the story I read said. MSN home page

Do you believe everything you read on the internet?

What about the fact that our agreement with Labor will end with the 2018 contract since UPS will outsource delivery to Aliens :alien: delivering in their UFO's and eliminating the need for Service Providers and Package Cars?

The Truth is out there . . . :alien:

Indecisi0n

What about the fact that our agreement with Labor will end with the 2018 contract since UPS will outsource delivery to Aliens :alien: delivering in their UFO's and eliminating the need for Service Providers and Package Cars?

I heard about this.

rod

Retired 22 years

I believe everything except stuff you post.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer

......and Elvis is our new center manager.

laffter

I'm sure the company has already long been researching for ways to have robots replace us all anyway.

With regard to preload and other local sorts, so so SO much of the processes involved could be automated through building upgrades. Based on my understanding of what I read in the national contract, UPS isn't allowed to introduce new technology if it means displacing an employee. This is bad for the company in terms of potential profit gain, but good for humanity and society in general.

The guy at the unload who scans packages and slaps PALs onto them- easily automated. The same goes for sorters- even loaders in preload. If you lift the truck onto it's nose, you can have packages fed directly through the rear via a chute. The load quality would be the same as it is now.