Amazon buying fedex.. Whaaat!

FedGT

Would say highly, highly unlikely. I do believe they will buy into the game but think it will be ontrac and possibly another one or two companies to merge with them. Do also believe contractor model would be implemented or sustained.

dezguy

Just because a website theorizes that Amazon buying FedEx would be more cost efficient than starting their own logistics arm, doesn't mean Amazon is buying FedEx.

dezguy

I heard talk of that on a financial show. It's just a rumor...for now.
There has been talk for years that the Federal government, here is going to disband Canada Post and have mail operated by a Hewlet Packard/FedEx lead company.

Talk is just that. I'd be flabbergasted if Amazon bought FedEx.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
That would be one large buyout. I don't see why fedex would sell they are very successful but Fred's getting old maybe he's ready to retire.

dezguy

The stock price would go way up. Fat Freddy just might!
Maybe but the buying FedEx route just isn't Bezo's style. He's not interested in paying anything above minimum wage and don't even talk about benefits.

Buying FedEx would involve taking on all those Express and Freight employees. Unless Amazon is just going to get rid of all those employees and give it a go with a ground only model, trying somehow to keep a union movement that is sure to follow; I just don't see it happening. Especially when Amazon can just buy up a few regional carriers instead and save themselves from that headache.

Maybe but the buying FedEx route just isn't Bezo's style. He's not interested in paying anything above minimum wage and don't even talk about benefits.

Buying FedEx would involve taking on all those Express and Freight employees. Unless Amazon is just going to get rid of all those employees and give it a go with a ground only model, trying somehow to keep a union movement that is sure to follow; I just don't see it happening. Especially when Amazon can just buy up a few regional carriers instead and save themselves from that headache.
They want the airline.

oldngray

nowhere special
This reminds me of something a read a couple of days ago. Some market analyst was saying Amazon is very secretive about its future plans. I was like wtf? Amazon is a champion at spreading rumors and hype to manipulate its stock price.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Then that means letting go of every other division. Does Amazon really want the publicity of knowing they gutted an entire corp. and fired a couple hundred thousand people?
I'd a say the majority of people who buy from Amazon really wouldn't care if it means getting stuff cheaper with free next day shipping.

bacha29

This matter has been floating on the back channels of the industry for at least a year.However there is one possibilty you guys aren't thinking about. Amazon buys Fedex then spins off what it doesn't want into a seperate publicly traded company. Go ahead and laugh and scoff like you always do but don't think for a minute that the 3 billion dollar hair ball X is hoarking up to buy back stock does not have something to do with it.

STFXG

Amazon won't buy fedex. The plan for their own delivery company is a long way down the road. It's a big ploy to get their shipping prices lowered even more.

bacha29

If M&A activity overall starts picking up the likelihood of a bid for X becomes more likely. Rate concessions and same day delivery is clearly what Bezos wants. If he doesn't get a satisfactory deal then his billions combined with a hedge fund or two makes a hostile takeover bid possible . I don't think that something of this nature is imminent but in a few years when corporate bylaws require Smith to leave the board you can't rule it out. A cash and stock swap combined with a partial spin off into a new public trading company with Amazon or whoever controlling 51% cannot be dismissed outright . In the meantime button your chin straps.