Amazon Buys Thousands Of Branded Truck Trailers To Deliver Customer Packages

Returntosender

One day, Amazon will 'drop' your packages from the air via a drone but until then, the company will deliver your holiday packages via trucks. Amazon announced the addition of thousands of branded, trailer trucks in its delivery fleet that will be driven by third-party carriers.

Amazon's Mike Roth, vice president of the company's operations in North America, stressed their long-standing relationship with various third-party carriers. However, they understand the need for additional capacity. To address this need, Amazon is equipping their carriers with their own trailer equipment just in time to make those holiday deliveries.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/1...uck-trailers-to-deliver-customer-packages.htm

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
From the article

"While the trucks won't really be delivering the actual items to consumers' doorsteps, the branded Amazon trucks will be utilized to transport items to and from Amazon warehouses, sorting facilities and delivery stations. Amazon will keep using the United Parcel Service, U.S. Postal Service, FedEx and other regional carriers to deliver the goods, said a spokeswoman for Amazon."

You GD click baiter

Worse than buzzfeed

This is the reason we should all consider not using Amazon. I did not renew my Amazon prime because I'm done with Jeff Bezos and Amazon. This man is crazy and trying to take over the world.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
This is the reason we should all consider not using Amazon. I did not renew my Amazon prime because I'm done with Jeff Bezos and Amazon. This man is crazy and trying to take over the world.
image.jpeg

Returntosender

From the article

"While the trucks won't really be delivering the actual items to consumers' doorsteps, the branded Amazon trucks will be utilized to transport items to and from Amazon warehouses, sorting facilities and delivery stations. Amazon will keep using the United Parcel Service, U.S. Postal Service, FedEx and other regional carriers to deliver the goods, said a spokeswoman for Amazon."

You GD click baiter

Worse than buzzfeed
Do see the big picture? Trailers now, a few years in the near distant future Amazon very own delivery trucks.

Amazon will reduce leasing UPS trailers to load Amazon packages, saving them money. July and October of 2015 Amazon posted profits. Do you think will post profits in 2016?

We've had three big ideas at Amazon that we've stuck with for 18 years, and they're the reason we're successful: Put the customer first. Invent. And be patient.

Jeff Bezos

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Do see the big picture? Trailers now, a few years in the near distant future Amazon very own delivery trucks.

Amazon will reduce leasing UPS trailers to load Amazon packages, saving them money. July and October of 2015 Amazon posted profits. Do you think will post profits in 2016?

We've had three big ideas at Amazon that we've stuck with for 18 years, and they're the reason we're successful: Put the customer first. Invent. And be patient.
To have the infrastructure to do what we do with just their deliveries would require a massive capital investment. An amount they don't have right now. We're not talking a billion or two. We're talking tens of billions. Sure they can make make a nice dent in the cities. But what do you do in the suburbs? The cost advantage just isn't there.

oldngray

nowhere special
To have the infrastructure to do what we do with just their deliveries would require a massive capital investment. An amount they don't have right now. We're not talking a billion or two. We're talking tens of billions. Sure they can make make a nice dent in the cities. But what do you do in the suburbs? The cost advantage just isn't there.

They are building up their distribution system but will still rely on other carriers for the end delivery for a very long time. Except for a few token examples in dense urban areas mostly as PR stunts.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
They are building up their distribution system but will still rely on other carriers for the end delivery for a very long time. Except for a few token examples in dense urban areas mostly as PR stunts.
They can take all the loads they want right now. But the delivery portion will be very difficult cost wise. They may have buildings everywhere, but they don't have facilities to park and load package cars. That's where the massive expense comes into play.

Having a feeder network will look like chump change compared to a final delivery service.

Tiny Panda

The big hit will come when fuel prices rise, for every 1p a liter prices rise here in the UK a trucking company running 500+ trucks can expect a £1m a year increase in running costs.

I'm guessing the likes of Amazon would be in the 000's of trucks

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

I remember another company trying to get into the ground business.

They set up a huge infrastructure and spent billions.

They couldn't sustain the losses and pulled out.

DHL

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I remember another company trying to get into the ground business.

They set up a huge infrastructure and spent billions.

They couldn't sustain the losses and pulled out.

DHL
I'm glad someone brought that up. That's a good example. And they were backed by the German PO which had a lot of money

ducktape

Amazon doesn't need a create a worldwide delivery service. Much easier and cheaper to concentrate on the US. This is the reason Amazon didn't buy FedEx, way to big for there needs.

Faceplanted

Dhl was trying to build during the Great Recession. The worst time it could have attempted to do so in the past generation or two. Amazon is not dhl and these are different times.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I don't think they will start up the delivery. I would believe they would buy a delivery company who already has the infrastructure. Just change the stickers on the side of the trucks. The usps would be at the top of the list. The government would be happy to dump the debt. Just break to even. Followed by fed ex. Either way it would be a major and ground shaking purchase.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Dhl was trying to build during the Great Recession. The worst time it could have attempted to do so in the past generation or two. Amazon is not dhl and these are different times.
The problem with Amazon is they just started making a profit. Shareholders are going to grow impatient and want larger returns then what they've been given since Amazon went public.

They don't have the capital DHL had with the backing of the german post office.