Amazon "Consequences"

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Even though we had a flawless Peak and delivered every single Amazon package on-time, Amazon has announced they are making radical changes to their delivery structure, and that neither FedEx nor UPS will be big players in those plans.

I guess Jeff Bezos wasn't buying the crap FedEx was selling. Too bad, Fred. Those are the consequences of poor planning, bad leadership, and treating employees like :censored2:...lost business.

Good for you, Jeff...you "get" it.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I'm sure this has nothing to do with the two class action lawsuits that Amazon is facing for charging Prime members higher prices for products to recoup the "free" shipping costs.

MAKAVELI

I'm sure this has nothing to do with the two class action lawsuits that Amazon is facing for charging Prime members higher prices for products to recoup the "free" shipping costs.
Hey Dano, how many class action lawsuits have been filed against FedEx? Didn't they just settle a lawsuit for overcharging customers? I think you need to chill on the kool aid as FedEx is one of the most corrupt corporations in America.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

It has a lot more to do with the fact that FedEx totally failed Amazon this Peak season...much worse than UPS did, although both carriers are being punished. We delivered huge amounts of Amazon days late, and had hundreds of thousands of Amazon Christmas gifts delivered up to a week late.

Yes, Dano, FedEx FAILED. Amazon reacted and has made appropriate adjustments. That means little use of FedEx services...fail, fail, fail.

59 Dano

Hey Dano, how many class action lawsuits have been filed against FedEx? Didn't they just settle a lawsuit for overcharging customers? I think you need to chill on the kool aid as FedEx is one of the most corrupt corporations in America.

I don't know if this has anything to do with the lawsuits or not but I'm just following the BC herd. If you guys have taught me anything, you've taught me two things. One is that any change made by a company is a direct response to the lawsuits filed against it. The second is that the fact that a class action suit was filed is proof in and of itself that the respondent is in the wrong.

I would love to see the Court of BC.

MF would be the judge. Downhillexpress would be the bailiff. Hanna would be the plaintiff's attorney. Everyone else is observing.

Someone brings in a class action suit against FedEx. Downhillexpress would try to swear everyone in but he'd keep dropping the Bible and forgetting what he's supposed to say and worry that he's not pleasing MF, who tells him, "It's okay son, it'll be alright. No one will point out how goofy you are."

The MF will call the courtroom to order.

Hanna: "FedEx did {whatever}."
MF: "Did you bring evidence?"
Hanna: "Well we filed a lawsuit that achieved class action status. That should tell you something."
MF: "Yes. I hate my job."
Hanna: "You should sue."
MF: "Do you think I have a case?"
Hanna: "Sure."
MF: "I hate MT3 and Fred S."
Hanna: "You should sue them too."
MF: "I would, but I don't want to."
Hanna: "I don't blame you."
MF: "What is your evidence?"
Hanna: "I told you I have a class action lawsuit."
MF: "Against who, me?"
Hanna: "No, FedEx."
MF: "Oh. Right. I can't keep the stories straight. You have a class action lawsuit. Well, no one would ever file a lawsuit unless they had an ironclad case and if it's class action that's double extra ironclad so I guess you win. No need to even try the case. Everyone go home and be careful in that traffic."
Hanna: "I also have a lawsuit against that."
MF: "Who?"
Hanna: "Traffic."
MF: "Oh. Is it class action?"
Hanna: "Yes."
MF: "Hard to argue with that. You win that one too."
Hanna: "Thank you. I'll be back later. I got an OLCC and I have to get the lawsuit ready for that."
MF: "Did your manager smile when he gave it to you?"
Hanna: "No, why?"
MF: "If he did then he's rubbing it in. If he didn't then he should have to make you feel better."
Hanna: "AND I CAN SUE FOR EITHER ONE!!!"
MF: "Absolutely!"
Hanna: "OK gotta run. Got lots of papers to get in order. I'm suing everyone for everything."

And that would be the Court of BC.

59 Dano

It has a lot more to do with the fact that FedEx totally failed Amazon this Peak season...much worse than UPS did, although both carriers are being punished. We delivered huge amounts of Amazon days late, and had hundreds of thousands of Amazon Christmas gifts delivered up to a week late.

Yes, Dano, FedEx FAILED. Amazon reacted and has made appropriate adjustments. That means little use of FedEx services...fail, fail, fail.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

HomeDelivery

nothing new here, we knew that with them building more and more distribution centers that they would start using regional carriers.. etc..

http://www.dcvelocity.com/articles/...-mix-of-private-fleet-regional-carriers-usps/

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get on board with AMAZON.. ;)

most of those small regional companies are relying on independent owner operators... did you see their online feedback ratings!?!? worse than FedEx & UPS combined

i was looking into it, but only as an employee, not another independant o/o system again (unless the settlements are better than the current contractor i'm with)

still got until next peak to see the outcome of their regional carrier plans (if lasership/ontrac/etc shapes up to provide better service than HD)

!Retired!

Amazon volume is up at our station.

As for peak, no DEX 1's came back in my workgroup on the 26th. We were all caught up.

SmithBarney

most of those small regional companies are relying on independent owner operators... did you see their online feedback ratings!?!? worse than FedEx & UPS combined

i was looking into it, but only as an employee, not another independant o/o system again (unless the settlements are better than the current contractor i'm with)

still got until next peak to see the outcome of their regional carrier plans (if lasership/ontrac/etc shapes up to provide better service than HD)

Amazon will probably go with a shotgun approach, most will hit the target.. some might miss..

TUT

TUT

"Amazon is still smarting from the fiasco, however. The company's fulfillment executives believe UPS and FedEx are not investing enough in equipment, infrastructure, and other resources to keep up with Amazon's growth, according to a person familiar with the matter."

But the counter is, the system breaking volume lasts for such a short time. How much can you invest into the whole operation for such a short burst?

See you have two companies today that are expected to make a large profit to keep their stock between $100 and $150. And another company that doesn't have to make a profit at all and gets to live comfortably with a stock valued $300-$400 range, really in a fairyland of sorts. And one wonders why some don't like how wall street drives us, it's SCHTUPID sometimes.

FedExRookie

"Amazon is still smarting from the fiasco, however. The company's fulfillment executives believe UPS and FedEx are not investing enough in equipment, infrastructure, and other resources to keep up with Amazon's growth, according to a person familiar with the matter."

But the counter is, the system breaking volume lasts for such a short time. How much can you invest into the whole operation for such a short burst?

See you have two companies today that are expected to make a large profit to keep their stock between $100 and $150. And another company that doesn't have to make a profit at all and gets to live comfortably with a stock valued $300-$400 range, really in a fairyland of sorts. And one wonders why some don't like how wall street drives us, it's SCHTUPID sometimes.

They don't make a huge profit because they are investing heavily into capital infrastructure. It's not like they are barely squeaking by, they are investing now to lower cost in the future. By the time any other companies try to compete with them, they will have low cost and ample infrastructure.

That is why their stock is high.

bbsam

Staff member
They don't make a huge profit because they are investing heavily into capital infrastructure. It's not like they are barely squeaking by, they are investing now to lower cost in the future. By the time any other companies try to compete with them, they will have low cost and ample infrastructure.

That is why their stock is high.
Actually, that's the Ground model but Ground still makes huge profits.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't know if this has anything to do with the lawsuits or not but I'm just following the BC herd. If you guys have taught me anything, you've taught me two things. One is that any change made by a company is a direct response to the lawsuits filed against it. The second is that the fact that a class action suit was filed is proof in and of itself that the respondent is in the wrong.

I would love to see the Court of BC.

MF would be the judge. Downhillexpress would be the bailiff. Hanna would be the plaintiff's attorney. Everyone else is observing.

Someone brings in a class action suit against FedEx. Downhillexpress would try to swear everyone in but he'd keep dropping the Bible and forgetting what he's supposed to say and worry that he's not pleasing MF, who tells him, "It's okay son, it'll be alright. No one will point out how goofy you are."

The MF will call the courtroom to order.

Hanna: "FedEx did {whatever}."
MF: "Did you bring evidence?"
Hanna: "Well we filed a lawsuit that achieved class action status. That should tell you something."
MF: "Yes. I hate my job."
Hanna: "You should sue."
MF: "Do you think I have a case?"
Hanna: "Sure."
MF: "I hate MT3 and Fred S."
Hanna: "You should sue them too."
MF: "I would, but I don't want to."
Hanna: "I don't blame you."
MF: "What is your evidence?"
Hanna: "I told you I have a class action lawsuit."
MF: "Against who, me?"
Hanna: "No, FedEx."
MF: "Oh. Right. I can't keep the stories straight. You have a class action lawsuit. Well, no one would ever file a lawsuit unless they had an ironclad case and if it's class action that's double extra ironclad so I guess you win. No need to even try the case. Everyone go home and be careful in that traffic."
Hanna: "I also have a lawsuit against that."
MF: "Who?"
Hanna: "Traffic."
MF: "Oh. Is it class action?"
Hanna: "Yes."
MF: "Hard to argue with that. You win that one too."
Hanna: "Thank you. I'll be back later. I got an OLCC and I have to get the lawsuit ready for that."
MF: "Did your manager smile when he gave it to you?"
Hanna: "No, why?"
MF: "If he did then he's rubbing it in. If he didn't then he should have to make you feel better."
Hanna: "AND I CAN SUE FOR EITHER ONE!!!"
MF: "Absolutely!"
Hanna: "OK gotta run. Got lots of papers to get in order. I'm suing everyone for everything."

And that would be the Court of BC.

What effing ever. Bottom line? FedEx Failed.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

The "system-breaking" volumes were short-term (read Peak), and both companies failed miserably...especially FedEx. Amazon volumes have been consistently heavy all year long.

SmithBarney

Your station would be the exception to the rule.

MFE, don't know where you are but I've made rounds to several STA, and most are being blown away by Amazon freight. 80% on SAT is from AMAZON... One small station I visited has gone from 3 routes to 10 on a SAT... insane.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
MFE, don't know where you are but I've made rounds to several STA, and most are being blown away by Amazon freight. 80% on SAT is from AMAZON... One small station I visited has gone from 3 routes to 10 on a SAT... insane.

My station is being blown away too, but it looks like Amazon is shifting gears, and it's directly attributable to our miserable service to them during Peak. Thousands of undelivered packages sitting in puddles or pallets on the station floor...not under the Christmas tree.

Bezos is pissed, and I don't blame him.