Amazon "Consequences"

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
a year of commercial driving experience or six months plus driving school plus the requirements you have at Express.

Maybe they require that because they have no control over the training that you do, where as, at Express, they KNOW a courier will go to courier class and get defensive driving instruction.

P

prodriver

I would say those two are the exception rather than the rule. The reason express hires off the street is because they have to. Didn't used to be this way but it's the norm now. There is so much turnover now with all the bs and no wage progression and an improving economy, they have no choice. As for ground that rule doesn't stop contractors from hiring with no experience. We all know this is the way it's done at ground along with rampant falsification and bending of the dot rules.

I knew one of you guys would say that was the "exception" that's why I said they were mediocre at ground and they was, great guys both of them but they weren't nowhere near the top of class.

STFXG

6 months commercial driving in same size vehicle or larger in last year, this also requires two week class, 1 year in last three years (no class), or 5 in last 10 years( no class).

Those rules changed. It's in any vehicle now. Doesn't matter the size. Can hire a pizza delivery guy using his own car if you want to...

Sent using BrownCafe App

Rainman

Its all good.
I think it is interesting that Amazon believes that local/regional carriers will do a better job at peak.

We have a regional based out of the city where I live. This year, their HQ building was short 75 drivers. The only volume that they were delivering on time was business volume. Residential volume was delivered 1-2 weeks late. We picked up a couple of accounts that shipped stuff via the regional, then had to reship via UPS because it was sitting in a trailer at the regional and they would not say for sure when it would be delivered.

What I see happening is Amazon diverting volume to regionals, peak rolls around and UPS and FE say, "Divert regional volume back to us (by signing a new contract) and we'll help you out."
I don't think it has anything to do with the level of service offered by the regionals, I believe it is all about price. The regional carriers don't have the overhead and can undercut both FedEx and UPS on price. Amazon would be willing to give a little on service to save a few bucks.

Sent using BrownCafe App

P

prodriver

Maybe they require that because they have no control over the training that you do, where as, at Express, they KNOW a courier will go to courier class and get defensive driving instruction.

Me or my manager are with a new driver a minimum of two weeks, that's what gets in my pocketso much at peak.

P

prodriver

Those rules changed. It's in any vehicle now. Doesn't matter the size. Can hire a pizza delivery guy using his own car if you want to...

Sent using BrownCafe App

Is it still same amount of time driving?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I know that. I was unaware that anyone from Express acknowledged the fact.:)

Some people let their hatred blind them to the reality around them. I'm not one of them. I'm a realist. I see great couriers around me every day, but I also see the incompetent ones who have a hard time finding their way out of a paper bag.

Last edited:

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
How is this a stupid question? What would Express do if 250 Express drivers at one of their larger stations all decided to quit on the same day?

No one knows. I DO know that at my large station, a few weeks ago when it snowed real bad that a bunch of couriers refused to go on the road and the Senior Manager quickly backed down and sent us all home.

If I had to venture a guess, I would think that Memphis would load up the corporate jet and send top management to find out what's going on. Bring in managers from other areas. Maybe do a lot of butt kissing to get people back. No way could they hire people fast enough to save the day.

Last edited: