Amazon "Express"

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Did you guys ever stop for a moment to think about the fact that when Social Security became law in 1935 the retirement age was 65 but the average life expectancy at the time was 62? It's now more than a decade higher. It is quite common for 2 generations of the same family to be collecting Social Security. Something that was not factored in. It was quite a political battle to raise the retirement age a mere 2 years back in 1983. The odds of getting a bill through Congress raising it again is not good.
Or instead of kicking the can down the road just abolish the stupid thing.

And no I could give two :censored2:s about the people who were not smart enough to save

dezguy

How to use the multi quote function. I hope it helps people.

214714d1188189557-how-to-use-the-multi-quote-function-multiquote.gif

vantexan

In what universe do you declare solvency by denying people the benefits that they are rightfully entitled to collect?
You and Brownie should read my reply to Bacha. I was just tweaking you. But as far as saving for retirement, fine if you have a job that pays well. Tens of millions don't and please don't get into how they should better themselves. The dirty little secret of American capitalism is that in order for many to do well many more must just get by. What we're seeing with the destruction of the middle class is millions being pushed into working class status. Offshoring work, automating work, eliminating work tends to do that. The owners and their management class are insuring they get theirs and they really don't care if we don't like it. I'm just thankful I managed to get a small pension before everything turned to crapola. And under these conditions if you would take away Social Security from millions who'll desperately need it because you dream of all the extra profit your company would have you should be ashamed of yourselves.

vantexan

Did you guys ever stop for a moment to think about the fact that when Social Security became law in 1935 the retirement age was 65 but the average life expectancy at the time was 62? It's now more than a decade higher. It is quite common for 2 generations of the same family to be collecting Social Security. Something that was not factored in. It was quite a political battle to raise the retirement age a mere 2 years back in 1983. The odds of getting a bill through Congress raising it again is not good.
Did you ever stop and think the average age was that low because of disease that killed many in their younger years? Plenty of people lived into their 80's. It wasn't like they offered SS at 65 because they knew no one would live long enough to collect it.

bacha29

That's exactly my point. They didn't expect millions to live into their 80's and 90's . Likewise they didn't expect to get into another world war which would result in the birth of 78 million post WWII baby boomers. The program was designed to help Depression Era elderly have something to live on. Yet 80 years later it is still managing to perform the same basic mission despite the stagflation 1970's, the .com bust of the late 90"s and the great recession on 2008 which if it were not for the Federal Reserve you know that central bank the so called 'Libertarians" want to shut down having acted the result as many economists both liberal and conservative agree would have resulted nearly all banks being nationalized and the unemployment rate would have been 25%. And that's why we have Social Security.

vantexan

That's exactly my point. They didn't expect millions to live into their 80's and 90's . Likewise they didn't expect to get into another world war which would result in the birth of 78 million post WWII baby boomers. The program was designed to help Depression Era elderly have something to live on. Yet 80 years later it is still managing to perform the same basic mission despite the stagflation 1970's, the .com bust of the late 90"s and the great recession on 2008 which if it were not for the Federal Reserve you know that central bank the so called 'Libertarians" want to shut down having acted the result as many economists both liberal and conservative agree would have resulted nearly all banks being nationalized and the unemployment rate would have been 25%. And that's why we have Social Security.
No, they very well knew that millions would live past 65 and they were trying to alleviate poverty amongst seniors who could no longer work. True that they didn't foresee the Baby Boom and advances in medical science that increased longevity. But keep in mind that SS is it's own program, designed to keep going through all manner of calamity. Those that claim it's bankrupt are self serving business owners and investors that want access to all that money. If it comes down to it those that have means will just have to make do with less SS so that everyone can get something. I guess it just sticks in the crawl of those that have had power over others, often exploiting them for personal enrichment, to have to give some of it back for the greater good.

bacha29

That's why SS benefits are taxed when total income passes a certain threshold. Greedy employers simply hate having to pay in the employer's share of FICA despite the fact that the tax rate itself hasn't gone up in decades.

vantexan

That's why SS benefits are taxed when total income passes a certain threshold. Greedy employers simply hate having to pay in the employer's share of FICA despite the fact that the tax rate itself hasn't gone up in decades.
But only if you take SS early. You can earn as much as you like once you reach full SS retirement age with no taxing of benefit.

vantexan

Wrong pal. Go to Social Security. Gov- benefits planner and you may be in for the shock of you life.
OK, you're right. I was thinking of between 62 and full retirement age if you earn above X amount they start reducing your SS. At your full retirement age you can earn as much as you want, but up to 85% of your SS benefits are taxed, depending on what you make. I was basing what I wrote on my mother's experience, but was mistaken about the taxation. Thanks pal!

bacha29

My pleasure. A bit of information that I found interesting. According to the latest available numbers. Social Security since 1937 has paid out 11.8 trillion in benefits and has collected 13.6 trillion in FICA taxes. I often wonder where this nation would be today if in 1937 the U.S. Supreme Court had gone the other and ruled The Social Security Act unconstitutional or if Bob Dole had succeeded in his efforts to kill Medicare in House committee .

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You and Brownie should read my reply to Bacha. I was just tweaking you. But as far as saving for retirement, fine if you have a job that pays well. Tens of millions don't and pleasele don't get into how they should better themselves. The dirty little secret of American capitalism is that in order for many to do well many more must just get by. What we're seeing with the destruction of the middle class is millions being pushed into working class status. Offshoring work, automating work, eliminating work tends to do that. The owners and their management class are insuring they get theirs and they really don't care if we don't like it. I'm just thankful I managed to get a small pension before everything turned to crapola. And under these conditions if you would take away Social Security from millions who'll desperately need it because you dream of all the extra profit your company would have you should be ashamed of yourselves.

van, why are you a Republican? The kind of corporate behavior you just described is exactly what GOP types have been advocating and doing for years. Killing unions, outsourcing and off-shoring jobs etc. This is Republican mantra.

The end result is a shrinking middle class, a very successful aristocratic top tier, and a huge working class that barely gets by from check to check. Can you say Texas, South Carolina or any other RTW state?

Dubya was a big proponent of having SS be invested in the stock market, and MANY Republicans view it as an entitlement, not a savings account into which you have paid handsomely over your working life. That is wrong, and would be a huge theft if SS were to be either abolished and/or modified significantly.

Crap wages equal a subsistence lifestyle, with little left over for 401k contributions and other investments. Many people can no longer afford to buy a home, which has traditionally been an excellent investment, as well as a source of retirement income if you sell at retirement and downsize, using your equity/profit as income during retirement years.

I know you're GOP through and through, but logic would seem to dictate that you're pro-union and belong to a party that hates them. I know you've said many times that Fred deserves a union.

vantexan

van, why are you a Republican? The kind of corporate behavior you just described is exactly what GOP types have been advocating and doing for years. Killing unions, outsourcing and off-shoring jobs etc. This is Republican mantra.

The end result is a shrinking middle class, a very successful aristocratic top tier, and a huge working class that barely gets by from check to check. Can you say Texas, South Carolina or any other RTW state?

Dubya was a big proponent of having SS be invested in the stock market, and MANY Republicans view it as an entitlement, not a savings account into which you have paid handsomely over your working life. That is wrong, and would be a huge theft if SS were to be either abolished and/or modified significantly.

Crap wages equal a subsistence lifestyle, with little left over for 401k contributions and other investments. Many people can no longer afford to buy a home, which has traditionally been an excellent investment, as well as a source of retirement income if you sell at retirement and downsize, using your equity/profit as income during retirement years.

I know you're GOP through and through, but logic would seem to dictate that you're pro-union and belong to a party that hates them. I know you've said many times that Fred deserves a union.
Have you not noticed that Donald Trump has gotten more votes in the Republican primaries than any other candidate in history? I'm not thrilled with him, but he represents the frustration middle class Republicans have with our leadership. We want things fixed, no more excuses. And before you get too down on Republicans the current administration has done little to improve opportunities. Obamacare is a job killer, and we were lied to to get it passed. And some of it's biggest negatives don't kick in until 2017, conveniently after the election. Thank goodness his energy plans were thwarted by the Republicans getting control of the House(which of course killed our chances for a union). Bernie Sanders has rightly pointed out Clinton's cronyism. She and her husband have made $21 million in two years giving speeches to special interests who are buying access to her presidency. I'm a registered Republican, but I'm not naive about what many Republican businessmen are about or their henchmen in Washington. But I've said it many times before, I'll support them if they're creating jobs, plus defend social values I support. The Democrats/Progressives push ideas that too many times are social engineering with little regard to strongly held religious beliefs. But if the Democrats come up with good ideas like Social Security, I'm not going to automatically shoot them down because the idea came from the opposition. We have serious issues that need resolution, not partisanship.

dmac1

Have you not noticed that Donald Trump has gotten more votes in the Republican primaries than any other candidate in history? I'm not thrilled with him, but he represents the frustration middle class Republicans have with our leadership. .

What did he get in the primaries?????? He got about 3% of the population to vote for him. Way more than 3% are complete idiots, so I'm surprised he didn't get more. But maybe some of those idiots were just too stupid to even register.

dmac1

The Democrats/Progressives push ideas that too many times are social engineering with little regard to strongly held religious beliefs. .

You are aware that most Americans don't want the country run on your religious beliefs, aren't you??????
We even put it in the Constitution.

bbsam

Staff member
Have you not noticed that Donald Trump has gotten more votes in the Republican primaries than any other candidate in history? I'm not thrilled with him, but he represents the frustration middle class Republicans have with our leadership. We want things fixed, no more excuses. And before you get too down on Republicans the current administration has done little to improve opportunities. Obamacare is a job killer, and we were lied to to get it passed. And some of it's biggest negatives don't kick in until 2017, conveniently after the election. Thank goodness his energy plans were thwarted by the Republicans getting control of the House(which of course killed our chances for a union). Bernie Sanders has rightly pointed out Clinton's cronyism. She and her husband have made $21 million in two years giving speeches to special interests who are buying access to her presidency. I'm a registered Republican, but I'm not naive about what many Republican businessmen are about or their henchmen in Washington. But I've said it many times before, I'll support them if they're creating jobs, plus defend social values I support. The Democrats/Progressives push ideas that too many times are social engineering with little regard to strongly held religious beliefs. But if the Democrats come up with good ideas like Social Security, I'm not going to automatically shoot them down because the idea came from the opposition. We have serious issues that need resolution, not partisanship.
You might actually be a Marxist.

http://m.dailykos.com/story/2013

MAKAVELI

You and Brownie should read my reply to Bacha. I was just tweaking you. But as far as saving for retirement, fine if you have a job that pays well. Tens of millions don't and please don't get into how they should better themselves. The dirty little secret of American capitalism is that in order for many to do well many more must just get by. What we're seeing with the destruction of the middle class is millions being pushed into working class status. Offshoring work, automating work, eliminating work tends to do that. The owners and their management class are insuring they get theirs and they really don't care if we don't like it. I'm just thankful I managed to get a small pension before everything turned to crapola. And under these conditions if you would take away Social Security from millions who'll desperately need it because you dream of all the extra profit your company would have you should be ashamed of yourselves.
Be careful Van. You are starting to to sound like a Bernie supporter.;)

vantexan

You are aware that most Americans don't want the country run on your religious beliefs, aren't you??????
We even put it in the Constitution.
Most? We have a right to have our voice heard, same as you. I never said we need to be a theocracy, but forcing us to do things against our will, such as Obama going after a Catholic charity run by nuns who don't believe in contraception, is the kind of facism we don't need either. Or demanding boys and girls be allowed to shower together at school because one thinks he/she is really the opposite sex. Accommodations can be made in such situations, not forcing everyone to comply with the "progressive" viewpoint.