Amazon "Flex" - $18-25/hr to deliver in targeted cities

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
https://flex.amazon.com/

Looks like Amazon is rolling out their own "actual" delivery service and it follows the same model for delivering pizzas.

That $18-25/hr number sounds a bit high (even after factoring in vehicle maintenance, gas, mileage, etc.) but I expect to see that nose dive once they saturate their workforce with enough independent contractors. The same thing happened to Uber in the beginning; they still tout drivers making "$100,000/year" (which may have been possible when the app was first introduced) but once they saturated their own labor market with freelance drivers, they increased fees and dropped pay.

They didn't skip a beat as they still had enough suckers on the hook too invested in the job to drop out.

It's going to be interesting to see if there's any DOT hurdles (although they seem to be capping out at "12 hours/day") or any other legal challenges to this business model. As it stands right now, they would probably be impossible to organize due to (almost certainly) being 1099'd employees.

arice11

I guess Amazon abandoned the whole "drone delivery" idea already. Won't be long before automated cars do the delivery and driving and the only thing they'll have to pay it is some attention in maintenance between routes.

lowats

https://flex.amazon.com/

Looks like Amazon is rolling out their own "actual" delivery service and it follows the same model for delivering pizzas.

That $18-25/hr number sounds a bit high (even after factoring in vehicle maintenance, gas, mileage, etc.) but I expect to see that nose dive once they saturate their workforce with enough independent contractors. The same thing happened to Uber in the beginning; they still tout drivers making "$100,000/year" (which may have been possible when the app was first introduced) but once they saturated their own labor market with freelance drivers, they increased fees and dropped pay.

They didn't skip a beat as they still had enough suckers on the hook too invested in the job to drop out.

It's going to be interesting to see if there's any DOT hurdles (although they seem to be capping out at "12 hours/day") or any other legal challenges to this business model. As it stands right now, they would probably be impossible to organize due to (almost certainly) being 1099'd employees.

When I took my CDL class amazon was sending classes of 20 people per week to go learn about their CDL

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
They need yard spotters. When the new building opened in wi they drove up people from florida

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
I guess Amazon abandoned the whole "drone delivery" idea already. Won't be long before automated cars do the delivery and driving and the only thing they'll have to pay it is some attention in maintenance between routes.
Whatever they do, I don't recommend linking it up to Orion!!

JL 0513

Interesting that they are only developing the app for Android. That's going to piss a lot of iPhone users off.:P

Will an Amazon delivery shirt be required? It's not safe for people to be walking on properties in street clothes.

Efficiency is going to be an issue. How many packages can people really pickup from an Amazon warehouse to stuff in their Honda Civics?

Ms.PacMan

I think their original press release saying they would offer $5/box was better / ka ching!!

Do they even care how many boxes the person delivers in an hour?

arice11

Interesting that they are only developing the app for Android. That's going to piss a lot of iPhone users off.:P

Will an Amazon delivery shirt be required? It's not safe for people to be walking on properties in street clothes.

Efficiency is going to be an issue. How many packages can people really pickup from an Amazon warehouse to stuff in their Honda Civics?
I have a Honda Civic. I've been known to fit my band's equipment inside it. It could be a pretty fun job actually.

clean hairy

Imagine trying to stuff a treadmill into a civic!

JL 0513

I think their original press release saying they would offer $5/box was better / ka ching!!

Do they even care how many boxes the person delivers in an hour?

You bring up a good point. This model couldn't possibly pay an "hourly" rate. There would have to be a system that sets pay rate per delivery by locations that determine distance and travel time.
Just like most independent contractor models. Otherwise you have these people milking time.