Amazon "Flex" - $18-25/hr to deliver in targeted cities

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by PiedmontSteward, Sep 30, 2015.

1. PiedmontSteward

PiedmontSteward RTW-4-Less

Looks like Amazon is rolling out their own "actual" delivery service and it follows the same model for delivering pizzas.

That $18-25/hr number sounds a bit high (even after factoring in vehicle maintenance, gas, mileage, etc.) but I expect to see that nose dive once they saturate their workforce with enough independent contractors. The same thing happened to Uber in the beginning; they still tout drivers making "$100,000/year" (which may have been possible when the app was first introduced) but once they saturated their own labor market with freelance drivers, they increased fees and dropped pay.

They didn't skip a beat as they still had enough suckers on the hook too invested in the job to drop out.

It's going to be interesting to see if there's any DOT hurdles (although they seem to be capping out at "12 hours/day") or any other legal challenges to this business model. As it stands right now, they would probably be impossible to organize due to (almost certainly) being 1099'd employees.
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  2. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

Any modern business model would prevent this although this is a service industry, which is about the only industry where Unions are viable anymore.
  3. BrownBrokeDown

BrownBrokeDown Active Member

I put winner because you made a solid point, but really there are no winners...
    Lasted edited by : Sep 30, 2015
  4. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

Agree ... Unions are about the only way for no-college educated Americans to be paid good wages and benefits when working for someone else

Starting your own business is the best way to do so.
  5. arice11

arice11 Active Member

I guess Amazon abandoned the whole "drone delivery" idea already. Won't be long before automated cars do the delivery and driving and the only thing they'll have to pay it is some attention in maintenance between routes.
  6. lowats

lowats Member

When I took my CDL class amazon was sending classes of 20 people per week to go learn about their CDL
  7. silenze

silenze Lunch is the best part of the day

They need yard spotters. When the new building opened in wi they drove up people from florida
  8. wide load

wide load Well-Known Member

Whatever they do, I don't recommend linking it up to Orion!!
  9. Lead Belly

Lead Belly BANNED

I forbid my wife from using Amazon about 6or 7 months ago.
  10. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

I forbid my wife from doing something once. Once.
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. FrigidFTSup

FrigidFTSup Resident Suit

Is she your property or something? Oy vey.
  12. MoarTape

MoarTape Active Member

You shouldn't have shot me, Johnny. My grandmother shot me once...
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. JL 0513

JL 0513 Well-Known Member

Interesting that they are only developing the app for Android. That's going to piss a lot of iPhone users off.:P

Will an Amazon delivery shirt be required? It's not safe for people to be walking on properties in street clothes.

Efficiency is going to be an issue. How many packages can people really pickup from an Amazon warehouse to stuff in their Honda Civics?
  14. arice11

arice11 Active Member

Awesome movie reference.
  15. Ms.PacMan

Ms.PacMan Well-Known Member

I think their original press release saying they would offer $5/box was better / ka ching!!

Do they even care how many boxes the person delivers in an hour?
  16. arice11

arice11 Active Member

I have a Honda Civic. I've been known to fit my band's equipment inside it. It could be a pretty fun job actually.
  17. clean hairy

clean hairy Well-Known Member

Imagine trying to stuff a treadmill into a civic!
  18. JL 0513

JL 0513 Well-Known Member

You bring up a good point. This model couldn't possibly pay an "hourly" rate. There would have to be a system that sets pay rate per delivery by locations that determine distance and travel time.
    Just like most independent contractor models. Otherwise you have these people milking time.
  19. Re-Raise

Re-Raise Well-Known Member

I have some time between pick-ups. Where do I sign up?
  20. 9.5 everyday

9.5 everyday Active Member

Lol. How's that going?