Amazon plans revamp of U.S. shipping with mix of private fleet, regional carriers, USPS

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Amazon plans revamp of U.S. shipping with mix of private fleet, regional carriers, USPS - DCVelocity

James Tompkins, who runs Tompkins International, a Raleigh, N.C.-based consultancy, said Amazon has divided the nation into three segments based on population size: The top 40 markets, which comprise about half of the U.S. population; the next 60 largest population areas that account for about 17 percent, and the remaining areas, which account for about one-third.

UPS Inc., which today handles much of Seattle-based Amazon's current deliveries, will not play a prominent role in the network realignment, Tompkins said. Nor will FedEx Corp., which manages a lesser portion of Amazon's delivery business. An Amazon spokeswoman was unavailable to comment.

rod

Retired 22 years
I'm surprised there hasn't been any discussion on this. You would think Amazon planning to do away with both FedEx and UPS would get some interest----or am I reading it wrong?

rod

Retired 22 years
Back when I was really into ice fishing (and drinking) they would have made a killing off me.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I thought we just signed a 5 yr deal with them. Someone said that here on BC.
A contract really means nothing to a shipper.
The contract defines the discounted rates at various volume levels and mix of services.
A better way to describe them would be incentive agreements.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Let them try to deliver. They will be back.
Lasership already delivers 2 out 3 deliveries to my rural-suburban address.
New white trucks with nice branding ... driver actually wears a uniform too.
I am a Prime member and when I get it through Laser ship it is normally in 1 day, UPS in 2 or 3 days and FedEx Ground in 2 days to a week.

bbsam

Staff member
I'm interested to see how it all works when fully implemented, say at peak 5 years from now. If UPS and FDX didn't add enough resources to keep them happy, I'm not sure regional carriers will do much better.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm interested to see how it all works when fully implemented, say at peak 5 years from now. If UPS and FDX didn't add enough resources to keep them happy, I'm not sure regional carriers will do much better.

Suppose we had invested the money to add those resources and they still chose to go with regional carriers.

Returntosender

Amazon might buy the main region carriers same way FED EX bought out RPS. Amazon buys, Laser Ship, Expeditors International, Forward Air Corp, UTI Worldwide. Next thing you know it's Amazon delivery, Who knows maybe even YRC might be in the mix.

Amazon might even get former UPS managers to develop/refine the shipping network.

If their delivery works out, Amazon will be the elephant in the room.

Maybe 20 years in the future. Their might be a Amazoncafe. Where Amazon employees can talk about Amazon.

Amazon might buy the main region carriers same way FED EX bought out RPS. Amazon buys, Laser Ship, Expeditors International, Forward Air Corp, UTI Worldwide. Next thing you know it's Amazon delivery, Who knows maybe even YRC might be in the mix.

Amazon might even get former UPS managers to develop/refine the shipping network.

Maybe 20 years in the future. Their might be a Amazoncafe. Where Amazon employees can talk about Amazon.

Where will you get their socks?

rod

Retired 22 years

I've got a feeling they would look elsewhere.