Amazon Prime, now with free, same-day deliveries

oldngray

nowhere special
Here come the Amazon boxes.

Prime by bedtime.

That's a phrase millions of Amazon Prime members may start reciting, thanks to the online retailer adding free, same-day deliveries to the $99-a-year membership program.

For now, Amazon's new service, unveiled Thursday, will be a stripped-down version of Prime's current, free two-day deliveries. Over 1 million items will be available for free, same-day shipments -- a fraction of the 20 million available in the US for two-day deliveries. Orders must total more than $35 to qualify. The purchase must also be made before noon, or it will arrive the next day. The service will initially be available in 14 metro areas across the US.

http://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-prime-now-with-free-same-day-deliveries/

F

FrigidAdCorrector

A few months ago, Upstate mentioned UPS offers a similar same day service. One of these I think, Speed, Super, Sonic Air.
Yep we do. But they charge up the rear for it. I'm pretty sure they utilize passenger airline flights to get it from A to B, there's no way they use our aircraft for it.

But it comes down to what are we going to charge if we were to do this for Amazon? They're charging 5.99 for the service. Even if we charge 4x more than that (which I mean, we pretty much have to) we are losing money on it. The beauty of our structure now is we have set routes so you know you're going to get there at some point in the day. With this, you can't, it's a cluster. You're paying drivers to hop all around town all day. You'd need some serious volume for it to make sense. We can make the prices Amazon pay us work now because we are picking up feeders and feeders worth of volume at one time that they load. I highly doubt we are going to fill a package car with that, never mind a feeder.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Don't forget, we have a secret weapon of huge profits: Orion!
giphy.gif