Amazon says it's drones will be as common as seeing a mail truck

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
I wouldn't worry about this too much. Even if Amazon gets FAA approval to use drones to deliver packages, it's only viable for small packages. I don't think drones would be able to deliver desktop PC's, laptops, TV's, or any other big package. Packages with things like smart phones, small tablets, computer processors, hard drives, and other such items would work.

Another thing, many sellers on Amazon are either small businesses or regular folks who won't have access to Amazon's drones anyway. They will be using the regular shippers.

Last edited:

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
1439934815-droneshot.jpg
Steel shot? Are they considered migratory? A drone wouldn't last 10 minutes down here. The taxidermists would be busy.

Chnandler Bong

Terrorists would love to see the FAA approval of hundreds of drones flying around carrying "packages" in cities and neighborhoods? Yay for aerial dirty bombs...NOT!

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Amazon is ready for its drones to fly, but government isn’t - BetaBoston

The new video released to YouTube shows a box of soccer shoes being loaded into the belly of a custom-designed drone. Climbing to around 400 feet the drone whisks along at 55-plus miles an hour to a suburban home with a landing pad sporting the Amazon logo on its lawn.

“One day, seeing Prime Air vehicles will be as normal as seeing mail trucks on the road,” Amazon said in an accompanying statement on its website.

Viewed more than 2.5 million times, it was one of most popular videos on YouTube by Monday afternoon. But Amazon’s delivery service is nowhere near ready for lift off — at least as far as the Federal Aviation Administration is concerned.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Viewed more than 2.5 million times, it was one of most popular videos on YouTube by Monday afternoon. But Amazon’s delivery service is nowhere near ready for lift off — at least as far as the Federal Aviation Administration is concerned.
The Feds are very cautious about drones, as they should be. Too much unknown, don't want unexperienced people flying them into airspace they don't belong it.

rod

Retired 22 years
There are enough bald eagles flying up and down the river in my back yard that a drone wouldn't stand a chance.

moldsporh

You can't take your shotgun and blow a drone out of the sky in a rural area, you are responsible for what comes out of the muzzle and where it lands....you will need to improvise.

Yes it's a federal offense to shoot aircraft out of the sky but someones toy taken out by a non lethal device is another story.

Alot of gray area there but with not knowing the intent of a drone flying over my house, my AEGIS network will take care of it.......:cool:

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
Keep in mind that shooting into the air in most cities could get you into trouble with the police. If not the police then I am sure that Amzon will sue anyone who shoots one down.

margaritaville

Drones are so friend-ing stupid it makes me annoyed. Not because they will take my job but because they seem inefficient as s-t. They will clog up the skies and i can list a ton of other problems. I thought long and hard to what could take away delivery driver jobs and drones are a HUGE waste of money aside for publicity.

I thought of something that would 1. still get it to your house. 2. keeps the package safe from theft. 3. Doesn't change traffic or air congestion. But you wouldn't technically "need" a driver. Atleast for home deliveries. The technology is still like 5-10 years out but its WAYYYYYYY better then drones.

I imagine someone thinking of this after amazon spends millions on drones and their drone situation becomes garbage instantly. Anyways, i don't want to give away my idea but i also lack the motivation to ever sell it. Its also using others peoples technology so id basically just be just stating the obvious.

werenotthepostoffice

deep down inside I really do not care
More hype in an attempt to get attention before Christmas.
This started with the story on 60 Minutes. Amazon could never buy that kind of exposure with advertising so the duped CBS into believing this was a "news" story when it was a well played publicity stunt. Squawk Box was hilarious for about a week after the story ran as the business community saw the story as what it really was.

That said,Amazon may be able to use drones to replace Surepost but that is all. How many multiple piece deliveries do you have from Amazon on a daily basis? How many pieces do you see that are over 5 pounds? None of those shipments will be available for drone delivery.

OK,they are setting up their own delivery network using private vehicles and considering the driver as "sub-contractors". FedEx is doing this right now and are repeatedly losing court battles.The courts are consistently ruling in favor of the plaintiffs that sub-contractors are,in fact,employees. Ramifications? A driver delivering an Amazon package has an accident and they are sued. The injured person sues Amazon and the driver. The driver will be dropped from the suit due to limits of their insurance and the lawyers will go after Amazon because they have money.

How many lawsuits before Amazon pulls the plug?

Amazon needs us,UPS and FedEx,more than ever before if they want to continue their growth.