Amazon starts Sunday delivery with US Postal Service

Discussion in 'FedEx Discussions' started by Nolimitz, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Nolimitz

Nolimitz Active Member

be interesting to see how this works out! unveiled a new partnership with the U.S. Postal Service to deliver online orders from the world's largest Internet retailer on Sunday for the first time.

Amazon starts Sunday delivery with US Postal Service
  2. Good lord. Just one more thing for Fred and the boys to get involved in at some point. I can just hear it now..Hey btw were changing you're route to Wed-Sun. Enjoy!
  3. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

It's coming----may not be this year or in the next 5 but it is coming and, of course, whatever you guys do we have to copy and vice versa. Our contract already has provisions for an alternate work schedule.
  4. TheJackal

TheJackal Active Member

If Amazon charges extra for Sunday delivery, they will abandon this pretty quickly. We has Sunday delivery when I was still back in NY. Didn't work then, won't work now. Since Christmas is on a Wednesday, customers won't pay the extra money for Sunday delivery.....they don't need to.

My wife has joint custody with the kids. If we don't have the kids a certain weekend, I'll work Sunday. It'll be the easiest money I'll make all year.
  5. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Sunday will be treated like any other delivery day----free for Prime members and the standard shipping rate for all others. The Post Office will use flex employees to minimize their labor costs.
  6. STFXG

STFXG Well-Known Member

Bring on Sundays! Ground, HD and Express should all be 7 day service. The customers WANT it! Let's do this!

MAKAVELI Well-Known Member

Sunday's are for football not for work. This is where I draw the line.
  8. STFXG

STFXG Well-Known Member

I agree. I would just be collecting checks.
  9. bbsam

bbsam Moderator Staff Member

I agree. Of course that's all I do anyway.
  10. hypo hanna

hypo hanna Well-Known Member

Let me see if I have this. Just a month ago the postal service asked congress if they could suspend service since it was not profitable enough and now they want to do Sunday service for a single shipper? Sounds like a winner!
  11. PigSkin

PigSkin Member

Best post I've ever read here!!
  12. PigSkin

PigSkin Member

Hopefully Amazon dumps UPS.
  13. purplesky

purplesky Active Member

Yes its very strange. The USPS is losing billions every year. So are taxpayers now expected to subsidize Amazons Sunday delivery mail service? Awesome!
  14. Just Numbers

Just Numbers Retired

So they will deliver on Sunday but, want to cut out Saturday...what a trade off!
  15. Mr. 7

Mr. 7 The monkey on the left.

The USPS lost something like $18B last year and is looking to lose something around $8B this year.
    Our taxes pay for the USPS. How do they "take on" this deal and take money from Amazon? That money should go back to us.
  16. texan

texan Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing!

Overtime for the postal worker?

Is Amazon paying all cost of this, or is this another negative draw on this failing
    Goverment run buisness, only for hype?

17. TheJackal

TheJackal Active Member

Sorry,I didn't read the article before posting.
    The PO is the only delivery company I know of that loses money. Oh wait, it's run by the government....makes sense now.
  18. Nolimitz

Nolimitz Active Member

Just got a fedex "smart post" pkg. from USPS today that had been in town since Sat. last week. Bet Amazon gets hosed big time on this deal.
  19. bbsam

bbsam Moderator Staff Member

Why? It's dirt cheap shipping. And did you call and wait for 20 minutes to compain to a customer service rep? Of course not. Practically nobody does. People are coming to see it as "normal".
  20. Nolimitz

Nolimitz Active Member

This was the first "smart post" pkg. I have ever got. It was not time critical to me and I wanted to wait to see how long it would take for the Po to deliver so no I did not call to complain or whine. My point is if the PO is that slow with everyday stuff, how will they ever manage 2 day del commits on a freaking Sunday?