Amazon starts Sunday delivery with US Postal Service

Nolimitz

The delivery areas will be limited to the metro LA and NYC areas (at first) and expanded based on the results.

So your saying USPR in NYC and LA is more motivated to get things done than the rest of the major cities. LOL...................... Still think Amazon is going to get :censored2: on and USPS will have egg on their face.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I think the U.S. is getting lazier and lazier. Everyone wants the cheapest price (the internet) and, everyone expects free shipping (Amazon).
This country is turning into people that don't want to do anything for themselves.

Just look at these new motor-driven open and close trunk lids and tail gates on cars. C'mon! How freakin' lazy are you?! You can't close the tail gate of your SUV by yourself?!

DontThrowPackages

Good lord. Just one more thing for Fred and the boys to get involved in at some point. I can just hear it now..Hey btw were changing you're route to Wed-Sun. Enjoy!
But when will the employees have time to worship Jesus with their families?? I thought this company had Southern roots, Red State I.E. Bible Belt.. religious?

HomeDelivery

Fred S is a hypocrite... was he religious when he stole from his own family? or when he ran over some people & had the lawyers settle out of court for his mis-deeds?

he already have shown that he doesn't care for his legacy couriers of Express...

bbsam

Staff member
So your saying USPR in NYC and LA is more motivated to get things done than the rest of the major cities. LOL...................... Still think Amazon is going to get :censored2: on and USPS will have egg on their face.

when you say it like that, it reminds me of Kmart buying Sears. Weird /stupid.

!Retired!

This was the first "smart post" pkg. I have ever got. It was not time critical to me and I wanted to wait to see how long it would take for the Po to deliver so no I did not call to complain or whine. My point is if the PO is that slow with everyday stuff, how will they ever manage 2 day del commits on a freaking Sunday?
Even their 'overnight' packages take 2-3 days sometimes. And they can never tell you where the package is because their tracking sucks.

I think the U.S. is getting lazier and lazier. Everyone wants the cheapest price (the internet) and, everyone expects free shipping (Amazon).
This country is turning into people that don't want to do anything for themselves.

Just look at these new motor-driven open and close trunk lids and tail gates on cars. C'mon! How freakin' lazy are you?! You can't close the tail gate of your SUV by yourself?!
Looking for a cheaper price and free shipping does not make someone lazy. If I see an item I want in the store, I pull out my smartphone and see if I can get it cheaper online. Also, I'll be doing some work in the backyard next Spring and there's a couple of items I need that are not sold in stores. Also, I can see how a self opening/closing trunk would be needed/useful for some people.

CJinx

Nothing wrong with finding a better price elsewhere or choosing one retailer over another because of free shipping. Saving money is always a good thing.

purplesky

The sad fact is that the USPS cannot even function without the help of UPS,FDX,The Airlines, and other trucking companies who haul mail.

Without the government would the USPS be able to stay open? NO. BECAUSE THEY ARE A MULTI- BILLION DOLLAR LOSING OPERATION.

It doesn't matter how anyone spins revenues and operating costs because technology killed the post office(MAIL).

So if the USPS is SUPPOSEDLY a independently run business separate from the government and they NOW want to become a UPS or a FDX, IT WOULD REQUIRE MANY BILLIONS OF DOLLARS TO REBUILD THE WHOLE USPS SYSTEM TO COMPETE WITH UPS AND FDX.

Why should the taxpayers have to make a multi billion dollar investment gamble?

thedownhillEXPRESS

The sad fact is that the USPS cannot even function without the help of UPS,FDX,The Airlines, and other trucking companies who haul mail.

Without the government would the USPS be able to stay open? NO. BECAUSE THEY ARE A MULTI- BILLION DOLLAR LOSING OPERATION.

It doesn't matter how anyone spins revenues and operating costs because technology killed the post office(MAIL).

So if the USPS is SUPPOSEDLY a independently run business separate from the government and they NOW want to become a UPS or a FDX, IT WOULD REQUIRE MANY BILLIONS OF DOLLARS TO REBUILD THE WHOLE USPS SYSTEM TO COMPETE WITH UPS AND FDX.

Why should the taxpayers have to make a multi billion dollar investment gamble?

Why do they have to ask congress to raise their rates then?

A FedEx or UPS envelope cost about 50 times as much to ship as what one with the USPS does.
Don't ya think that has something to do with it?

Try telling Granny that its going to cost her 27.50 to mail her power bill, lol....

purplesky

Why do they have to ask congress to raise their rates then?

A FedEx or UPS envelope cost about 50 times as much to ship as what one with the USPS does.
Don't ya think that has something to do with it?

Try telling Granny that its going to cost her 27.50 to mail her power bill, lol....

If people actually still used the mail service to receive or pay bills in 2013 we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Granny can pay her power bill online or with her cell phone now. Granny can also pay at the grocery store customer service counter.

That power bill that granny gets in her mailbox is costing the taxpayers more than the price of postage. That is why the USPS is losing billions.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

The ignorance about the USPS is profound in this thead.....and it isnt like we haven't had this discussion before

The USPS is losing money not because its services are obsolete; granny could pay her bill online, but many do not, not to mention the millions without access to the internet. Believe it or not, some people cannot get direct deposit, particularly many artists who work on commission, or many "contractors" who only work short periods of times with a company, usually a few months. These people actually have checks mailed to them.

The reason-the ONLY reason-the postal service is losing money is because Congress requires the Postal Service to pre-fund their pension out to 75 years; no other entity in history has had to do that. To think about from a different perspective, the Postal Service has fully funded the pensions of some who haven't even been born yet, to say nothing of having actually been hired or even aspiring to work as a letter carrier, clerk, manager, etc. When they "borrow" money, all that really happens is Congress allows them to forego a payment to that pension so they can do something else; they are given permission to use their own money as they see fit. BTW, the pre-funding of the pension is supposed to end in 2016.

And some of you have it backwards: the postal system is the more robust logistical system in the U.S.; UPS and Fedex have use them more than vice versa. In addition, neither FedEx nor UPS want ALL of the postal service's work, for much of it isn't profitable, especially rural areas. The Dakotas, Montana, and much of Utah would probably lose most mail service if the Post Office ever went completely private.

purplesky

The ignorance about the USPS is profound in this thead.....and it isnt like we haven't had this discussion before

The USPS is losing money not because its services are obsolete; granny could pay her bill online, but many do not, not to mention the millions without access to the internet. Believe it or not, some people cannot get direct deposit, particularly many artists who work on commission, or many "contractors" who only work short periods of times with a company, usually a few months. These people actually have checks mailed to them.

The reason-the ONLY reason-the postal service is losing money is because Congress requires the Postal Service to pre-fund their pension out to 75 years; no other entity in history has had to do that. To think about from a different perspective, the Postal Service has fully funded the pensions of some who haven't even been born yet, to say nothing of having actually been hired or even aspiring to work as a letter carrier, clerk, manager, etc. When they "borrow" money, all that really happens is Congress allows them to forego a payment to that pension so they can do something else; they are given permission to use their own money as they see fit. BTW, the pre-funding of the pension is supposed to end in 2016.

And some of you have it backwards: the postal system is the more robust logistical system in the U.S.; UPS and Fedex have use them more than vice versa. In addition, neither FedEx nor UPS want ALL of the postal service's work, for much of it isn't profitable, especially rural areas. The Dakotas, Montana, and much of Utah would probably lose most mail service if the Post Office ever went completely private.

The post office cannot (exist) function on its own. So how are they more robust than UPS or FDX?

So haven't you heard about cell phone technology in 2013 and that a payroll check or personal check can be deposited now by cell phone? Many self employed people now get paid by cell phone.

The fact is that some of the WW2 generation might still be getting bills in the mail but they are almost gone. The boomers do use technology and so do the generation x.

Cell phones are replacing mail and banking now like email did well over 10 years ago.

Your argument is 10 years old.

The post office is going to need that pension money to fund their retirees anyway so maybe its a blessing in disguise that they had to put the money away for the future. Its avoids a future pension bailout.

As fuel technology improves UPS and FDX will easily be able to service rural areas.

The post office just brings a crap load of unnecessary junk mail to my mailbox and all my neighbors. Hows that for profound ignorance.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If people actually still used the mail service to receive or pay bills in 2013 we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Granny can pay her power bill online or with her cell phone now. Granny can also pay at the grocery store customer service counter.

That power bill that granny gets in her mailbox is costing the taxpayers more than the price of postage. That is why the USPS is losing billions.

Taxpayers subsidize disabled voters and overseas military voters that's it. You obviously don't understand even remotely understand how some of these businesses are ran. If I recall right you think ups can become an amazon and sell stuff anytime they want. Lol

oldngray

nowhere special
There will always be a need for physical delivery of mail. Many things simply can't be done electronically so there will always be a need for the traditional mail carrier. Where the post office is bleeding is not from mail but parcel delivery that is subsidized by first class mail, plus their pension funding requirements do cost more than anyone else.

purplesky

​They function on their own now. What part of this do u not understand?

No they dont. The Post office pays other companies to move the mail. So without those other companies the USPS would close tomorrow. THAT IS NOT FUNCTIONING ON YOUR OWN.

UPS and FDX do not rely on other companies to function and exist. UPS and FDX use other companies by choice to increase profits but not to actually function and stay open for business.

Many years ago the USPS did actually function on its own. But not in 2013. Does that make sense to you now?

purplesky

Taxpayers subsidize disabled voters and overseas military voters that's it. You obviously don't understand even remotely understand how some of these businesses are ran. If I recall right you think ups can become an amazon and sell stuff anytime they want. Lol

Yes UPS could become an online seller like Amazon if they wanted to go that direction in the future. They have the cash. They already have the delivery network in place. UPS built Amazon. So why not?

Amazon is just a middle man warehouse that doesn't make a product. They just offer a online delivery service AND UPS IS CURRENTLY THE BIGGEST PLAYER OF THEIR EQUATION.

If any company wanted to become a Amazon UPS could pull it off. DO YOU HAVE A VALID REASON WHY UPS COULDN'T DO IT?

MAKAVELI

Yes UPS could become an online seller like Amazon if they wanted to go that direction in the future. They have the cash. They already have the delivery network in place. UPS built Amazon. So why not?

Amazon is just a middle man warehouse that doesn't make a product. They just offer a online delivery service AND UPS IS CURRENTLY THE BIGGEST PLAYER OF THEIR EQUATION.

If any company wanted to become a Amazon UPS could pull it off. DO YOU HAVE A VALID REASON WHY UPS COULDN'T DO IT?

Yes, because they haven't. UPS didn't build Amazon, they only provide a service.

bbsam

Staff member

Yes. In a word, investors. Their stock prices would plummet.