Amazon to deliver via drones

rod

Retired 22 years
Why do I get the feeling that the Einstein at Amazon who thought up this BS used to work in the Ivory Tower in Atlanta. Hoax-is this one of your old buddies?

Go ahead and laugh about technology. The guys working at the Post Office aren't laughing about their job security. Not saying Amazon's concept is going to be the final product. Seldom is. Not going to replace all of our jobs overnight. Just saying it does not hurt to have a plan B.

Indecisi0n

I would say not going to happen and if it does its way more than 3-5 years away. There are just too many variables. They would have more success using bike messengers than this.

Returntosender

Never count Amazon out. Amazon started out as just as online book retailer then became an everything you looking for retailer. Created the Kindle e-reader in 2007. Several other companies seen the success of the E-reader decided to imitate the Kindle, the Ipad, Galaxy, MS Surface, Transformers Tablets, etc Amazon partnered with the Post Office for delivery. Now the Post Office does Sunday deliveries for them in select cities. Those select cities could trailblazer programs for Amazon future plans on dominating retail/delivery environment.

MAKAVELI

Go ahead and laugh about technology. The guys working at the Post Office aren't laughing about their job security. Not saying Amazon's concept is going to be the final product. Seldom is. Not going to replace all of our jobs overnight. Just saying it does not hurt to have a plan B.
Technology is making a lot of jobs obsolete. This is not exclusive to one company or industry. It's happening everywhere and a major reason why jobs haven't fully recovered to pre recession levels. But that doesn't mean every idea or technology invention will work or work better then the previous way of doing things.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Never count Amazon out. Amazon started out as just as online book retailer then became an everything you looking for retailer. Created the Kindle e-reader in 2007. Several other companies seen the success of the E-reader decided to imitate the Kindle, the Ipad, Galaxy, MS Surface, Transformers Tablets, etc Amazon partnered with the Post Office for delivery. Now the Post Office does Sunday deliveries for them in select cities. Those select cities could trailblazer programs for Amazon future plans on dominating retail/delivery environment.
I don't doubt amazon. I just doubt this idea. I mean let's use some common sense. No packages are getting delivered on even a semi large scale by helicopter drones.

purplesky

Jeff Bezos said himself tonight on 60 minutes THAT HE DOESNT THINK AMAZON WILL BE AROUND FOR A REAL LONG TIME. BECAUSE ANOTHER COMPANY WILL COME ALONG AND DO WHAT AMAZON DOES IN SOME SHAPE OR FORM. I WAS IMPRESSED WITH HIS HONESTY. The guy is a visionary. The drone thing is just a futuristic idea that might happen many years down the road.

Google and BMW and several other car companies are very successfully working on self driving vehicles. I could see a small self driven(or by a control center) electric delivery vehicle in the future bringing packages or groceries to somebody's house or business.
You can laugh. But the technology is already here and would actually be safer and more efficient than hundreds of drones flying in the air.

I am talking future here. Maybe 15 years.

Nobody is saying a drone helicopter will be delivering that Sleep number bed. But how many small boxes couldn't? Remember this is just a concept. An idea. Like landing a man on the moon. Nah, that would be impossible.

Returntosender

Jeff Bezos said himself tonight on 60 minutes THAT HE DOESNT THINK AMAZON WILL BE AROUND FOR A REAL LONG TIME. BECAUSE ANOTHER COMPANY WILL COME ALONG AND DO WHAT AMAZON DOES IN SOME SHAPE OR FORM. I WAS IMPRESSED WITH HIS HONESTY. The guy is a visionary. The drone thing is just a futuristic idea that might happen many years down the road.

Google and BMW and several other car companies are very successfully working on self driving vehicles. I could see a small self driven(or by a control center) electric delivery vehicle in the future bringing packages or groceries to somebody's house or business.
You can laugh. But the technology is already here and would actually be safer and more efficient than hundreds of drones flying in the air.

I am talking future here. Maybe 15 years.
Well only time will tell if the drones work or don't.
As for Amazon not being around for a long time. Bezos is just blowing smoke up peoples anus. The barrier of entry to start a business like Amazon is not a few million and Bezo's knows this.
IMO Amazon will be around for long time. Amazons uses most brick and mortar business as a showcase Amazon products. Those brick and mortar stores have high operating costs compared to Amazon warehouses. Sunday 12/1/2013 consumers visited Best Buy, Macys, Frys, Bass Pro Shops, BootBarn, etc, and window shopped, They went home found those items on Amazon placed them on their wishlist. Currently it's Cyber Monday 12/2/2013 those customers are now online at Amazon's website and purchased those items on their wish lists and looking for other bargains. Amazon warehouse employees are getting slammed finding those merchandise. By Wednesday UPS/FEDEX/USPS/LASERSHIP it will our turn to get slammed to get those Amazon packages out for final delivery.

Returntosender

I don't doubt amazon. I just doubt this idea. I mean let's use some common sense. No packages are getting delivered on even a semi large scale by helicopter drones.
Maybe not for ordinary customers yet. Amazon has a plan for the drones, I think Amazon has those drones working in house, at Amazon warehouses. The drones could be flying around those huge warehouse locating the item from the top shelf pick it up and fly to another area for an employee to package and send out for delivery via UPS,FEDEX,LASERSHIP,USPS. Those drones just eliminated an employee driving/walking around finding the product and grab it and bring to the processing area for delivery.

MassWineGuy

I thought the drone delivery idea was fantaastic and ahead of the curve. Ok, so it's five years or so away and it can probably handle only lightweight packages of a specific size. But those make up a large percentage of what UPS ships. If I were a forward thinking guy high up in UPS, I would have definitely taken notice and planned to evaluate the competitive risk.