Amazon volume being taken away in major cities?

gman042

Been around the block a few times
No problem. This will just get UPS closer to BECOMING AN ONLINE RETAILER JUST LIKE AMAZON. :wink2:

I will say it again. UPS can easily become an online seller and it will happen if the volume really does get that low.

But since Amazon doesn't make any profit I doubt delivering their own stuff on a large scale will become a reality.

But If other retailers like Target and Walmart start doing this on a large scale this will spell trouble for UPS.

Thats when UPS launches its retail business and website that will turn the retail world upside down.

I guarantee you Atlanta has a team working on this right now.

UPS has the cash,logistics,manpower,and decades of experience helping Amazon become Amazon from the ground up.

Oh and UPS has airplanes. Amazon doesn't.:wink2:

Yes I know. Crazy :censored2:ing idea.

Amazon is biting the hand that fed them. I have said it once and I will say it again.....UPS could crush Amazon in the online sales head to head. AND UPS would make money at it.

Overpaid Union Thug

UPS is making a big effort to prepare for peak season. I think this year will go much smoother.

Hopefully this year Amazon won't take millions of last minute orders 2 days before xmas knowing full and well that UPS didn't have the capacity to deliver all those orders to little Jimmy by Xmas day.
Hell they were processing orders less than two days before Xmas.

Sent using BrownCafe App

teamster 804

Amazon is biting the hand that fed them. I have said it once and I will say it again.....UPS could crush Amazon in the online sales head to head. AND UPS would make money at it.
Sorry my friend you have it backwards Ups is biting off the hand that feeds them.We lose Amazon as a shipper,we will lose thousands of jobs across the country and our profit will tank.Forget about the fantasy of Ups outdoing Amazon as a online shopping megastore,not gonna happen Amazon is the best at what they do and Ups used to be the best at what we do.The whole concept of doing more with less in a service orientated business has hurt us.Corporate greed cutting this cutting that has created a recipe for disaster for this company.Less loads,less drivers creates service failures.Cutting and taking everything away from there employees has eliminated morale and company pride we all once had.This company needs to stop having the attitude that we are the only game in town and get back to providing excellent service like we used to.So we do not lose shipping giants like Amazon.

SFdriver

RTS. Thx for the link. Will wait n see what is actually gonna happen. Even though my center is mostly a resi center n losing amazon volume would hurt, the overall volume is still there. We hired 7 driver this year n adding 3 more, running almost peak time number if routes n still average 190 stops per car, with splits car goin out with 210-250. It's crazy! They say gotta measure 8hrs?!! Ridiculous! We'll see what happens. As for as UPS being online retailer, like been said earlier. Ups has money but stuck to what ur good at, would be good idea. Unless they bought Amazon.... Ummm

Sent using BrownCafe App

purplesky

Sorry my friend you have it backwards Ups is biting off the hand that feeds them.We lose Amazon as a shipper,we will lose thousands of jobs across the country and our profit will tank.Forget about the fantasy of Ups outdoing Amazon as a online shopping megastore,not gonna happen Amazon is the best at what they do and Ups used to be the best at what we do.The whole concept of doing more with less in a service orientated business has hurt us.Corporate greed cutting this cutting that has created a recipe for disaster for this company.Less loads,less drivers creates service failures.Cutting and taking everything away from there employees has eliminated morale and company pride we all once had.This company needs to stop having the attitude that we are the only game in town and get back to providing excellent service like we used to.So we do not lose shipping giants like Amazon.

Actually UPS is hiring thousands of new drivers nationwide AND IMPROVING THEIR FEEDER NETWORK.

Making their whole fleet more fuel efficient that will save big money sooner than later.

UPS is still the best at what it does. And UPS is already in the retail business. FDX is very good but UPS wins.

UPS had its web address on their package cars at the very start of online retail and ATLANTA WILL NOT SIT ON ITS HANDS AND WATCH AMAZON DESTROY THEIR BUSINESS.

Amazon delivering their own stuff isn't about UPS providing bad service, its about Amazon trying to make a damn profit. AMAZON WOULDN'T HAVE GROWN INTO A RETAIL ONLINE GIANT WITHOUT A DELIVERY GIANT LIKE UPS.

purplesky

Just drive down any interstate night or day and start counting UPS feeders and UPS freight feeders and you soon realize how easy it would be for UPS to pull this off to become an online retailer.

UPS has Amazons blueprint. But its not like UPS needs it.:biggrin:

teamster 804

I am glad for all of us that Ups is hiring and making service improvements.But I see Amazon pullings eggs out of the basket differently.Not necessarily to save money ,more because our service has been lacking.Our past peak season was horrible for service.I am here over 25 years and I have never seen so many missed deliveries,years ago missed was like four letter word.For the past few years it has become common place.It was unacceptable and should always be unacceptable to miss deliveries even whole trailers left behind.We provide service more than anything else.Service needs to be improved.

Sent using BrownCafe App

M

MenInBrown

It would hurt but not be the end of the world for UPS. I do believe that amazon is only about 10% of our revenue. And the profit, i imagine is very minimal

Just drive down any interstate night or day and start counting UPS feeders and UPS freight feeders and you soon realize how easy it would be for UPS to pull this off to become an online retailer.

UPS has Amazons blueprint. But its not like UPS needs it.:biggrin:
The only thing I can add to your already dead on posts is that ups probably logistically helped them start out.

Returntosender

Sometimes I wonder. UPS is expanding overseas. Could it be to make up for lost revenue when Amazon leaves? I would like to think the leaders have some kind of long term strategic plan in place to offset a Amazon/UPS break up.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I am glad for all of us that Ups is hiring and making service improvements.But I see Amazon pullings eggs out of the basket differently.Not necessarily to save money ,more because our service has been lacking.Our past peak season was horrible for service.I am here over 25 years and I have never seen so many missed deliveries,years ago missed was like four letter word.For the past few years it has become common place.It was unacceptable and should always be unacceptable to miss deliveries even whole trailers left behind.We provide service more than anything else.Service needs to be improved.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Problem is Scott Davis-CEO. He did not come from "inside.'
He was a businessman. Bottom line...make money. Hopefully the new guy, who came from "inside," understands what made this company the best...Service.

Sent using BrownCafe App

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sometimes I wonder. UPS is expanding overseas. Could it be to make up for lost revenue when Amazon leaves? I would like to think the leaders have some kind of long term strategic plan in place to offset a Amazon/UPS break up.

We are expanding overseas as that is where the opportunity is. The US small package market is just about tapped out.

UPS most definitely helped Amazon get off the ground.
A couple of friends of mine and I discuss amazon at nauseam. We always come back to ups starting their own amazon. They could do it. If there is really that much long term money in it I'm betting they at throwing the idea around. I just think ten years from now there will be several amazons and it will dilute any of the profits they are hoping to make long term.