Amazon walks March 31st?

kingOFchester

We were told (during our local meeting) that Amazon has told UPS if there is no contract on March 31st, they will move our Amazon volume to another shipper. Anyone else hear this?

over9five

Staff member
That's a lot of volume to just divert on a single day. Don't think they could.

Now if you had said "Amazon has decided to start diverting volume on March 31st unless........". Well, that would have been more believable.

Sorry, you'll have to do better than that if you ever want to be a part of FNN.

Babagounj

Strength through joy

Frankly speaking , purple could never handle the volume .

I recall those same rumors from years ago.
It was their sales people trying to lock up new shipper contracts ; sign up with us now because when the Teamster strike we won't be able to help you .
Unfortunately Amazon already has plans to avoid both companies .
All those agreements to start collecting state sales taxes means that they are planning to build their own hubs to assist in their own same-day network .
The pilot programs has started in SF and many other major cities are next .

kingOFchester

That's a lot of volume to just divert on a single day. Don't think they could.

Now if you had said "Amazon has decided to start diverting volume on March 31st unless........". Well, that would have been more believable.

Terribly sorry for not using or communicating the exact words used by my local. In any event, we were told (probably close to 200 of us) that Amazon has made it clear that they will move their work if we do not have a contract in place by March 31st. I do not know the exact verbiage that was used. Sorry.

Whether you, or others, choose to believe me...as you pointed out "That's a lot of volume to just divert on a single day". So obviously it would take time to get everything inline to have the volume moved by the end of our contract. 7/31/13.

I have never once started a rumor on BC. I am a long time poster that speaks daily (at work) with several other posters from BC. One of whom was at the local meeting on Sunday. Please show me one post in my over 1500 posts here where I started a rumor? I was told weeks ago when I posted about the UPS health proposal that it was rumors......obviously not. I can see if I was a first time poster, or a poster who calls wolf, but I am not and there for do not appreciate your comments.

kingOFchester

If anyone doesn't think that Amazon, or any of our big shippers isn't keeping a close eye on this, you are a fool. As over pointed out, the volume could not be moved in one day. As another pointed out Fedex can't handle the volume. So I am SURE that Amazon will start to move the volume long before the deadline. They aren't going to want their product sitting idle do to a company strike. It will take them months to get that volume moving by other companies other then UPS>

kingOFchester

Not prob. over.

Anyway, did UPS and hall team meet again today? Hall said he would walk if UPS didn't take Health off the table? Oh crap, I did it again.....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't see them following through on this but it may just be the kick in the butt both sides need to get a deal done.

On the flip side, if we were to lose 22% of our volume the Uni0n wouldn't need to print nearly as many contract books.

kingOFchester

From UPS.com

"UPS remains confident we can reach an agreement with the Teamsters in advance of the current contract's expiration date of July 31."

Returntosender

Amazon uses UPS, FDX, lasership for shipping. As the contract zero hour nears and no agreement is in sight. Amazon will slowly increase thier package volume to FDX, Lasership.

kingOFchester

Amazon uses UPS, FDX, lasership for shipping. As the contract zero hour nears and no agreement is in sight. Amazon will slowly increase thier package volume to FDX, Lasership.

Yes, and our local told us Amazon has stated that they want a contract on table by March 31st. At that point they would start the move. Obviously it would be a long process. I imagine it could take weeks just to get the move going do to corporate red tape.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
That's a lot of suits on the payroll for UPS and the Teamsters...:greedy:

Both companies create unneeded jobs, there a ton of fat on both sides. Many doing little and / or next to nothing yet pull down a large pay check. If they could only leave drivers and insiders alone and cut their own waste sides down, their numbers and profit would look so much better.

Re-Raise

Not prob. over.

Anyway, did UPS and hall team meet again today? Hall said he would walk if UPS didn't take Health off the table? Oh crap, I did it again.....

That's pretty fast to just get up and start walking. Don't think he could.

Now if you had said " Hall might get up from his chair and start walking unless...." Well that would have been more believable.