Amazon walks March 31st?

thessalonian13

Fdx is not as efficient as UPS. Fdx is not as big as UPS. The bigger Fdx gets, the more efficient they will become. The more volume they gain, the more trucks they can put on the road. The more trucks fdx has on the road, the more efficient they will be. The more efficient they are, the cost per piece will go down. They already save a bundle on labor, add a network as large as UPS and we COULD be doomed.
The only way to stop their growth is to level the field by getting the contractor and Airline model pulled or teamsters take a huge pay cut. We need to fight their business model.

You can argue what I wrote, but it does not change the fact how much Fdx is growing year to year. They are like a snowball rolling down a hill. Getting bigger and bigger. While UPS is rolling down a slippery ICE patch. Picking up little to nothing and at some point we could just crumble and fdx, rolling behind us, will pick up all the pieces. I am not anti union at all. Just saying what I am seeing.

We need to fight their business model.
Who is going to add all these new FDX trucks? Have you seen the condition these FDX ground trucks are in? Private contractors have that kind of money? I doubt it. Creating new routes for sale will be a nightmare too. It will be tough for them, not impossible but very tough.

QKRSTKR

Kind of interesting that in the winter edition of the Teamster magazine, march 31st is the goal to reach a tentative agreement. It'd be nice.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
Amazon is already diverting pkgs. I have prime and ordered tons last year with only 1% not being shipped ups. This year already several have come prestige. Not happy

over9five

Staff member
Amazon is already diverting pkgs. I have prime and ordered tons last year with only 1% not being shipped ups. This year already several have come prestige. Not happy
x2, and it has nothing to do with negotiations. I can't remember the last time I got an Amazon from UPS, it all comes USPS or Lasership now.
The sad fact is, Amazon is leaving UPS - contract or not.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
x2, and it has nothing to do with negotiations. I can't remember the last time I got an Amazon from UPS, it all comes USPS or Lasership now.

I'm sure this all depends on the region. Because 1/3 of my truck everyday is amazon.

STFXG

Fdx is not as efficient as UPS. Fdx is not as big as UPS. The bigger Fdx gets, the more efficient they will become. The more volume they gain, the more trucks they can put on the road. The more trucks fdx has on the road, the more efficient they will be. The more efficient they are, the cost per piece will go down. They already save a bundle on labor, add a network as large as UPS and we COULD be doomed.
The only way to stop their growth is to level the field by getting the contractor and Airline model pulled or teamsters take a huge pay cut. We need to fight their business model.

You can argue what I wrote, but it does not change the fact how much Fdx is growing year to year. They are like a snowball rolling down a hill. Getting bigger and bigger. While UPS is rolling down a slippery ICE patch. Picking up little to nothing and at some point we could just crumble and fdx, rolling behind us, will pick up all the pieces. I am not anti union at all. Just saying what I am seeing.

We need to fight their business model.
Who is going to add all these new FDX trucks? Have you seen the condition these FDX ground trucks are in? Private contractors have that kind of money? I doubt it. Creating new routes for sale will be a nightmare too. It will be tough for them, not impossible but very tough.

Contractors can put on rentals until new contracts are approved. FedEx doesn't sell the routes the areas are already owned. We also have partners that will finance new trucks. Easily handled. Just a matter of hiring on drivers.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
If anyone doesn't think that Amazon, or any of our big shippers isn't keeping a close eye on this, you are a fool. As over pointed out, the volume could not be moved in one day. As another pointed out Fedex can't handle the volume. So I am SURE that Amazon will start to move the volume long before the deadline. They aren't going to want their product sitting idle do to a company strike. It will take them months to get that volume moving by other companies other then UPS>
Of course they are watching. They don't want to get caught with their pants down if we go on strike. Can't say as I blame them any.

oldupsman

Of course they are watching. They don't want to get caught with their pants down if we go on strike. Can't say as I blame them any.
The day is gonna come Amazon will be delivering their own packages. They don't need this problem every 4 or 5 years.
I'm sure this all depends on the region. Because 1/3 of my truck everyday is amazon.
I'm sure you're right about the region. But you UPS would lose some Amazon in the event of a strike. Having said that,there will not be a strike.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
Yup. Those prestige guys are the ones who worry me. I see them a lot more Than i ever use to.

They used to ship out of a town about an hour from where I live and today the have a building somewhere in the next town over. BTW the guy who delivered my pkg last time was in a old chevy cavalier. No uniform, no dot sticker on the side of the car, nothing but some dude with my box.......

purplesky

UPS has built and made Amazon what it is today. Just a big online middleman that sells stuff on a website.

So if Amazon wants to walk and build local distribution centers. Whats to stop UPS from becoming the next Amazon? UPS has the cash. UPS could easily do it in a variety of ways to make it very cost effective.

This would be a game changer for sure in the shipping and retail industry and would send UPSs stock through the roof.

Walmart would freak.:wink2: Amazon is really hurting Walmart so another online competitor would really shake things up.

This new company could actually even be a UPS spinoff or you could just expand the UPS brand. UPS stores could act as retail centers for pickups and returns for this new venture.

If Amazon and Walmart start attempting to deliver their own stuff and they are testing the idea. UPS should just join them and do it all.:wink2:

I am sure this idea has been discussed more than once in Atlanta.

oldngray

nowhere special
They used to ship out of a town about an hour from where I live and today the have a building somewhere in the next town over. BTW the guy who delivered my pkg last time was in a old chevy cavalier. No uniform, no dot sticker on the side of the car, nothing but some dude with my box.......

I got Amazon delivery last week. Girl in an old gray car. Prestige courier.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Ground driver told me that they will be delivering all Kohl's packages starting Monday.

Kohl's has gradually been transitioning toward FedEx Ground. For many years during peak we received a 48' (and later 53') trailer that was nearly exclusively Kohl's. But this past peak, it had dwindled to a handful of packages (mainly SurePost) being tossed into a CACH load. And in the fall, a driver had picked up their green totes (house mail) which had been a staple for many years, but it had a FedEx Ground label on it so it was being returned. Thus, this was a move negotiated likely nearly a year ago and probably unrelated to our contract.

On a related note, my recent Target shipment was FedEx Ground. I ponder if Target's also transitioning toward FedEx, splitting its business, or if this was a store-specific move.