Amazon

JL 0513

Amazon has now surpassed Walmart as the worlds most valuable retailer. Pretty crazy.

Amazon market value: $248 billion
Walmart market value: $230 billion
UPS market value: $86 billion

Walmart still has far higher sales numbers, revenue, and profit though (more tangible value). Market value is based on stock price and shares.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Amazon has now surpassed Walmart as the worlds most valuable retailer. Pretty crazy.

Amazon market value: $248 billion
Walmart market value: $230 billion
UPS market value: $86 billion

Walmart still has far higher sales numbers, revenue, and profit though (more tangible value). Market value is based on stock price and shares.
Yeah market value is pure speculation.

Brownslave688

So Apple's market value of $700+ billion is pure speculation?
Sure it's speculation on what Apple will do in the future. Their growth has slowed tremendously and you've seen the stock tank pretty big lately.

That valuation is based off SPECULATION that Apple will be able to continue to innovate and create new must have products.

MAKAVELI

Sure it's speculation on what Apple will do in the future. Their growth has slowed tremendously and you've seen the stock tank pretty big lately.

That valuation is based off SPECULATION that Apple will be able to continue to innovate and create new must have products.
I wouldn't call a valuation of $700 billion tanking. It's the nature of the stock market, ups and downs. Apple isn't going anywhere.

JL 0513

So Apple's market value of $700+ billion is pure speculation?

It's a whole hell of a lot of speculation.

For fun, let's compare Apple to UPS. Based on Market cap value, Apple is "worth" 10X more than UPS. But is it really when you look at all the tangible value?

Apple's biggest source of revenue is a cell phone. The factories that build most Apple products are contracted, mostly Foxconn. Apple doesn't even own the factories (most anyway). There are Apple stores, but pretty spread out. There isn't a large public workforce like a UPS or Walmart. They don't have a massive fleet of vehicles like UPS. UPS owns thousands of big buildings. An airline too.

What would Apple have to sell off if their products tanked in popularity (as so many brands have throughout history)? Not 100's of billions in tangible assets.

S

selfcancelsignal

I just delivered my first 3 boxes of paper from Staples, in who knows how long, on friday. So glad we got that account back...Not
I saw 15ish cases of water from Staples while dropping 3 parcels inside a sanitation shop I deliver to on a fairly regular basis the other day. All I could think was FML, that's gonna be on my truck after Labor Day.

Brownslave688

For fun, let's compare Apple to UPS. Based on Market cap value, Apple is "worth" 10X more than UPS. But is it really when you look at all the tangible value?

Apple's biggest source of revenue is a cell phone. The factories that build most Apple products are contracted, mostly Foxconn. Apple doesn't even own the factories (most anyway). There are Apple stores, but pretty spread out. There isn't a large public workforce like a UPS or Walmart. They don't have a massive fleet of vehicles like UPS. UPS owns thousands of big buildings. An airline too.

What would Apple have to sell off if their products tanked in popularity (as so many brands have throughout history)? Not 100's of billions in tangible assets.
Which is likely why they are hoarding so much cash.

Smart of them.

Brownslave688

Their stock is starting to bounce back.
There is a real problem with where it can go though.

Apple watch is barely a blip on the revenue screen. They need multiple big hit products to make that needle move now.

It's a solid stock. Just don't see a ton of growth in its future.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
There is a real problem with where it can go though.

Apple watch is barely a blip on the revenue screen. They need multiple big hit products to make that needle move now.

It's a solid stock. Just don't see a ton of growth in its future.
Word on the street is they have a car in the works
You heard it here first folks

MAKAVELI

[
It's not speculation. It's huge profits that drives Apple's valuation. Now let's compare these numbers with UPS or any business for that matter.
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2015/07/21Apple-Reports-Record-Third-Quarter-Results.html
iPhone, Apple Watch, Mac & App Store Drive Revenue Growth of 33%

CUPERTINO, California — July 21, 2015 — Apple® today announced financial results for its fiscal 2015 third quarter ended June 27, 2015. The Company posted quarterly revenue of $49.6 billion and quarterly net profit of $10.7 billion, or $1.85 per diluted share. These results compare to revenue of $37.4 billion and net profit of $7.7 billion, or $1.28 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 39.7 percent compared to 39.4 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 64 percent of the quarter’s revenue.

The growth was fueled by record third quarter sales of iPhone® and Mac®, all-time record revenue from services and the successful launch of Apple Watch™.

“We had an amazing quarter, with iPhone revenue up 59 percent over last year, strong sales of Mac, all-time record revenue from services, driven by the App Store, and a great start for Apple Watch,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “The excitement for Apple Music has been incredible, and we’re looking forward to releasing iOS 9, OS X El Capitan and watchOS 2 to customers in the fall.”

“In the third quarter our year-over-year growth rate accelerated from the first half of fiscal 2015, with revenue up 33 percent and earnings per share up 45 percent,” said Luca Maestri, Apple’s CFO. “We generated very strong operating cash flow of $15 billion, and we returned over $13 billion to shareholders through our capital return program.”

Apple is providing the following guidance for its fiscal 2015 fourth quarter:revenue between $49 billion and $51 billiongross margin between 38.5 percent and 39.5 percentoperating expenses between $5.85 billion and $5.95 billionother income/(expense) of $400 milliontax rate of 26.3 percent

JL 0513

Which is likely why they are hoarding so much cash.

Smart of them.

Agreed. This is where all their hard worth is. Cash. The most of any company, ever. It is indeed very smart because they can ready themselves for market changes which will inevitably happen. Like I said, they otherwise don't have a whole lot to sell if their products began to tank.