"Ambassador of Death"

moreluck

golden ticket member
Ahmadinejad says it all by naming this thing Ambassador of death. Somehow that doesn't sound peaceful and lovely.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
“YOU MAY BE A TALIBAN IF…”
1.. You refine heroin for a living, but you have a moral objection to liquor.
2. You own a $3,000 machine gun and $5,000 rocket launcher, but you can’t afford shoes.
3. You have more wives than teeth.
4. You wipe your butt with your bare hand, but consider bacon “unclean.”
5. You think vests come in two styles: bullet-proof and suicide.
6. You can’t think of anyone you haven’t declared Jihad against.
7. You consider television dangerous, but routinely carry explosives in your clothing.
8. You were amazed to discover that cell phones have uses other than setting off roadside bombs.
9. You have nothing against women and think every man should own at least four.
10. You’ve always had a crush on your neighbor’s goat.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

“YOU MAY BE A REDNECK IF…”

1. You grow tobacco for a living, but you have a moral objection to liquor.
2. You own a $3,000 four-wheeler and $5,000 pickup truck, but you can’t afford deodorant.
3. You have more kids than teeth.
4. You wipe your butt with your bare hand, but consider bacon “unclean.”
5. You think t-shirts come in two styles: wife beater and Nascar.
6. You can’t think of any family member you haven’t made a pass at.
7. You like both kinds of music--country and western.
8. You were amazed to discover that cell phones have uses other than ordering pizza.
9. You have nothing against women and think every man should own at least four.
10. You’ve always had a crush on your neighbor’s goat.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Believe me, rednecks have NO MORAL OBJECTION to likor (klein way). That's where moonshine comes from!!

AND, #10 is a sheep, not a goat!

bbsam

Staff member
Speaking of "rednecks", term came from red neckerchiefs warn by some striking miners years ago. (I think. Saw it in passing on the History Channel.)

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Speaking of "rednecks", term came from red neckerchiefs warn by some striking miners years ago. (I think. Saw it in passing on the History Channel.)
I thought it came from farmers getting a red neck from working under the sun in the fields all day. That seems too obvious though, so I'm sure it's wrong.

fxdwg

Long Time Member

I'll take your word for it bb...It's caught my curiosity.

Regards,
bbsam (I mean FXDWG)

fxdwg

Long Time Member
LOL. Oh no you don't! I'm not you now! You're not playing nicely on the other threads with the other children.

Certain things irritate me as I get older.

Here's the answer to the Ambassador:

Patriot's with the hot Raytheon targeting system!!!

bbsam..."don't give up on me (I mean you)".....

moreluck

golden ticket member
Redneck is historically a derogatory slang term to refer to poor white Southern farmers in the United States.[1] It is similar in meaning to "cracker" (especially in Georgia and Florida), "hillbilly" (especially in Appalachia) and "white trash" (especially among blacks[2][3]).

The most common American usage, referring to the poor rural white Southerner, is probably derived from individuals having a red neck caused by working outdoors in the hot sun. A citation from 1893 provides a definition as "poorer inhabitants of the rural districts...men who work in the field, as a matter of course, generally have their skin burned red by the sun, and especially is this true of the back of their necks".[4] In recent decades the term expanded its meaning to mean bigoted, loutish and opposed to modern ways, and has often been used to attack Southern conservatives and segregationists. At the same time, many members of the U.S. Southern community have set out to reclaim the word, using it as a self-identifier, and the term has also been claimed by individuals outside of the United States.

rod

Retired 22 years
Certain things irritate me as I get older.

Here's the answer to the Ambassador:

Patriot's with the hot Raytheon targeting system!!!

bbsam..."don't give up on me (I mean you)".....

Did they get the bugs worked out of that patriot missle system? The last I heard of them was during the Gulf War when they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn (or a scud) with one of them.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
The combat-proven Patriot is the air and missile defense system of choice for 12 nations around the globe, including the U.S. and five NATO nations. The growing list of partners includes the U.S., Netherlands, Germany, Japan, Israel, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Taiwan, Greece, Spain, Korea and the United Arab Emirates.
The Software Bug

The bug occurs in the calculation of the next location of the incoming target by the range gate. The prediction is calculated based on the target’s velocity and the time of the last radar detection.
Velocity is stored as a whole number and a decimal, and time is a continuous integer or whole number (i.e. the longer the system has been running, the larger the value) measured in tenths of a second.
The algorithm used to predict the next air space to scan by the radar requires that both velocity and time be expressed as real numbers. However, the Patriot’s computer only has 24 bit fixed-point registers. Because time was measured as the number of tenth-seconds, the value 1/10, which has a non-terminating binary expansion, was chopped at 24 bits after the radix point.5 The error in precision grows as the time value increases, and the inaccuracy resulting from this is directly proportional to the target’s velocity.
When the Patriot system was first designed, the primary targets were Soviet aircraft and cruise missiles travelling at speeds around MACH 2, and only operating at a few hours at a time. However, in Operation Desert Storm, they were deployed as static defences (operating continuously), tracking and intercepting Scud missiles travelling at speeds of approximately MACH 5.6 Consequently, the U.S. army had to learn how to adapt the Patriot for targets of much higher velocity.
http://www.cs.usyd.edu.au/~alum/patriot_bug.html