America the welfare state...

Lue C Fur

Evil member
https://web.archive.org/web/2010041...010/04/16/french-entitlements-come-to-america

I’ve reported on the unintended effect of the European welfare state: lack of dynamism. If government promises to take care of you even if you don’t work, why try hard?
If you get fired in France, the government pays you nearly 58% of your previous salary for up to two full years. Even if you’re rich, the government gives you up to $108,000 a year.
I’s one reason why Americans are nearly 40% more productive than the French, and why the French unemployment rate is so high (it never went below 7.7 over the last two decades, and most years it was at 9 or 10 percent.)
Over the years, a smothering blanket of the American welfare state has grown, but until now, it’s never approached Europe’s. Now it has.
Yesterday, Congress voted to extend unemployment benefits for the fourth time in two years. Obama immediately signed it. So now Americans can continue to collect government checks for up to 99 weeks – nearly 2 years.
The result is that more people will stay on welfare – I mean, unemployment benefits – and won’t try as hard to find new jobs. Some people will simply say: why push myself if I can take home almost as much money without working? Even Obama’s Director of the White House's National Economic Council, Larry Summers, admits that extending unemployment benefits increases unemployment:
“[G]overnment assistance programs contribute to long-term unemployment is by providing an incentive, and the means, not to work."

But giving away your money is just too hard for politicians to resist. And plenty of people are happy to line up and take the money. Here are some revealing comments from a blog discussion on another site:
Michael:
I know a bunch of people currently living off unemployment - and having a great time. They have to act like they're trying to find a job to keep collecting checks. This means - go to interviews - apparently you can even turn down job offers - and that's it.
They talk about it like they're sticking it to the man - when realize - they're just sticking it to us that actually work.
Jonny:
My wife is on unemployment, she receives about $350 a week… Even though it makes our life easier, it does seem a bit backwards that she is able to collect with only the most lackadaisacal of job searching on her part.
So far, America still has a more reasonable system than France’s. Even in the most “generous” US state, Massachusetts, unemployment payouts are capped at $33,592 a year.

unionman

Don't worry, jobs will be coming back soon. The extention is part of the stimulus and is meant to keep the U.S. from going into a double dip. If you got laid off from UPS would you go work for Timco?

Lue C Fur

Evil member
Don't worry, jobs will be coming back soon. The extention is part of the stimulus and is meant to keep the U.S. from going into a double dip.
Hey Ralphie...Drinking more of the Messiah's Kool-aid i see. :wink2:
If you got laid off from UPS would you go work for Timco?
Anywhere i could find a job so i could keep my kid in school and pay the bills...its called integrity and responsibility. Are you saying that all our members that are laid off are just sitting at home collecting unemployment?

Lue C Fur

Evil member
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2010...ployment-benefits-obama-democrats-harry-reid/

How bad is the economy? With a record percentage of the unemployed out of a job for more than six months, the media and politicians are claiming that the economy is in crisis. Politicians are again rushing to keep extended unemployment insurance benefits in place. The only serious debate among politicians was over how the benefits should be financed: should the program be paid for with spending cuts or tax increases or should we add to the deficit to cover the expense. And the Democratically-controlled Senate has passed the extension on Thursday by borrowing more money. President Obama signed it today.
Take the Los Angeles Times' concern: "Never since the Great Depression has the U.S. labor market seen anything like it. The previous high in long-term unemployment was 26% in June 1983, just after the deep downturn of the early '80s. The 44% rate this year translates into more than 6.5 million people." Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid claimed: "To [Republicans], it doesn't matter than these people lost their jobs through no fault of their own -- or that they're desperate to find a new full-time job -- or that this is an emergency not only for their families, but for our country." Even the person leading the "other side" of the debate, Senator Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) said: "it’s the right issue for the country and we ought to be about paying for the things we do."
The unemployed are eligible for up to either 95 or 99 weeks of unemployment insurance benefits depending on whether the unemployment rate in their state is over 8.5 percent. The benefits are unprecedented. That is almost two whole years, compare that to the maximum of 26 weeks that the unemployed were eligible for as recently as June 2008. To get some perspective about long the benefits last, from 1954 to 2007 the national average maximum duration for unemployment insurance ranged from a low of 22.8 weeks in 1954 to a high of 27.2 weeks during most of the 1970s (click here for Figure 1).
But that is not all. Besides the length of benefits, the level of benefits is also unprecedented -- the unemployed now get more money each week that they are unemployed and get their health insurance paid for.
While most discussions assume that the long time that people are unemployed shows the need for longer benefits, there is another possibility: the unprecedented benefits are the cause, not the cure, for the current long term unemployment. The more you subsidize something, the more you get of it. In this case, people only get these unemployment benefits as long as they are unemployed. It is well known that most of the unemployed wait until their benefits are about to run out before they take a job. About a third of workers receiving unemployment insurance find work right after their benefits run out. This happens whether unemployment is high or low.
Larger benefits also encourage some people, who may be unhappy with their jobs, to become unemployed while they look for something better. Others will be a little more reluctant to take a new job when they are offered it.
Figure 2 shows monthly data from January 2007 to March 2010. What is clear is that the percentage of the unemployed who are unemployed for more than six months only increases after the length of the unemployment benefits is increased. Figure 3 shows the same pattern for the median number of weeks that people are unemployed.
Being unemployed for a long period of time is surely horrible. But we also need to understand that if the unemployment benefits were as high during past recessions as they are now, past unemployment rates would probably be much worse than they are right now. The long-term unemployment during this recession is only uniquely bad because of government policies.

unionman

Anywhere i could find a job so i could keep my kid in school and pay the bills...its called integrity and responsibility. Are you saying that all our members that are laid off are just sitting at home collecting unemployment?

Your so full of it. Yeah hit the road to go work in that hell hole living in the parking lot. How long have you been in aviation?

Lue C Fur

Evil member
Your so full of it. Yeah hit the road to go work in that hell hole living in the parking lot. How long have you been in aviation?

Aww Ralphie...unlike you i would actually work for a living instead of sucking on the goverments teet...but i forgot you are a Liberal. But to answer your question...23yrs.

Oh and here is your daily dose of Kool-aid:

Don't worry, jobs will be coming back soon. The extention is part of the stimulus and is meant to keep the U.S. from going into a double dip. If you got laid off from UPS would you go work for Timco?

They will be coming back, trickle down is about to kick in again, but they will be facing some serious headwinds going forward. Obama likes to talk (and blame.) But no real actions to add jobs. Obama is relying on trickle down to work and take all the credit. He is enacting policies going forward to slow down job growth or stall it altogether.

unionman

They will be coming back, trickle down is about to kick in again, but they will be facing some serious headwinds going forward. Obama likes to talk (and blame.) But no real actions to add jobs. Obama is relying on trickle down to work and take all the credit. He is enacting policies going forward to slow down job growth or stall it altogether.

Trickle down? What policies are going to low jobs?

Lue C Fur

Evil member
I don't want to drag our profession into our differing beliefs. I am not going to get into that subject again with a brother. Just let me say, If you haven't worked in one of those dumps, you don't understand.

So would "those dumps" include Kalitta, AIA or Kitty Hawk or are they not dumpy enough for you? And if your "not going to drag our profession into our differing beliefs" then why keep inserting foot in mouth?

unionman

So would "those dumps" include Kalitta, AIA or Kitty Hawk or are they not dumpy enough for you? And if your "not going to drag our profession into our differing beliefs" then why keep inserting foot in mouth?
It's different now that you have experience, kids in school, and are no longer young. Do you know how many mechanics have left this career field in the last ten years?

Lue C Fur

Evil member
It's different now that you have experience, kids in school, and are no longer young. Do you know how many mechanics have left this career field in the last ten years?

So first i did not have the experience and now i have to much? Which is it? And i dont feel old...just alittle tired. LOL

Because of the debt. Who is to blame for that?

BLAME...there you go again...BLAME...BLAME...BLAME. Please focus...Look forward, if you keep looking backwards you are going to hit a brick wall.
I didn't say anything about a debt, in fact I don't care about your excuses. Blame and excuses are never a defense. At the end of the day, that is typically all the guilty have.

unionman

So first i did not have the experience and now i have to much? Which is it? And i dont feel old...just alittle tired. LOL
I never said you did not have the experience. I think you have been at UPS to long to know what its like in aviation now. I have many friends that are no longer in the business and didn't want to live like a gypsy. Tens of thousands of mechanics have left in the last ten years. Could you try to tone down the sarcasm just a little.

Lue C Fur

Evil member
I think anyone in Aviation knows about the industry fairly well and its not something i would recommend in these times.

I will tone down my sarcasm if you can tone down your ass-u-me-ptions. Remember this...i will be standing next to you on the pickett line rain or shine when the time comes and lets hope it does not come to that. Peace brother.:peaceful: