An amazing statistic

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I was dong some mental math today.

Ive been a driver for a few weeks shy of 21 years. In that time, I have averaged about 300 pieces a day delivered.

Thats 1500 a week, times 48 weeks per year average ( I get 6 weeks vacation now but in the beginning it was only 2), equals 72,000 packages per year. Over 21 years, that puts the total number of parcels I have delivered at 1,512,000. A million and a half.

I have also averaged around 200 pieces picked up. Over 21 years, that comes out to just over a million. That is a total of 2 1/2 million packages handled.

The really scary number to think about....is the weight. I have an industrial park on my route that gets some serious pig iron. My old route was even worse. An average piece weight of, say, 15 pounds means I have handled something like 35 million pounds of freight during my career.

I need some Advil.

old levi's

blank space

Ive been a driver for a few weeks shy of 21 years. In that time, I have averaged about 300 pieces a day delivered.

Thats 1500 a week, times 48 weeks per year average ( I get 6 weeks vacation now but in the beginning it was only 2), equals 72,000 packages per year. Over 21 years, that puts the total number of parcels I have delivered at 1,512,000. A million and a half.

I have also averaged around 200 pieces picked up. Over 21 years, that comes out to just over a million. That is a total of 2 1/2 million packages handled.

The really scary number to think about....is the weight. I have an industrial park on my route that gets some serious pig iron. My old route was even worse. An average piece weight of, say, 15 pounds means I have handled something like 35 million pounds of freight during my career.

I need some Advil.

Take 2 1/2 million Advil. It will all even out. :sick:

diesel96

<-----------Soberups aka "Atlas"

The weight of the world are on your shoulders.
I feel your pain....lol
Forget the advil, try a good smoke and a tall heavy beer.....

JonFrum

Sober,

Just Imagine if you had the same package car for your entire driving career, and it was factory-new when you got it. (With shoulder harness safety belt, of course.):happy2: Now calculate how many auto parts wore out and had to be replaced over the years. Perhaps replaced multiple times. Now imagine the wear and tear your various body parts are experiencing?

OK. I admit it's not a perfect analogy. Some body parts have the ability to heal themselves to some extent. Auto parts don't. But the years must be taking their toll. It's a scary thought.

And yet almost every motion we make at UPS is awkward. We try to smooth them out as best we can. But if UPS gives us awkward equiptment to work with, there's only so much we can do to smooth it out. Repetitive motion takes its toll.

S

speeddemon

I need some Advil.

And when we hurt our back, they say it was from something we did at home. What a load of crap.

helenofcalifornia

Hoax beat me to the the punch; I was going to ask you to rephrase your stats
to as how much money you have earned for the Company. We always get told how much we cost the company, never how much we earn for UPS.

They sell generic Advil at Costco, much cheaper.

helenofcalifornia

Whoa!!! I just re-read Hoax's post and darn if he didn't just tell you how much you cost the company. Again, where are the figures that tell us how much we make for UPS?

My name is Helen and I support the retro-fitting of all UPS trucks with a 3-pt. seatbelt!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Whoa!!! I just re-read Hoax's post and darn if he didn't just tell you how much you cost the company. Again, where are the figures that tell us how much we make for UPS?

My name is Helen and I support the retro-fitting of all UPS trucks with a 3-pt. seatbelt!
That's funny Helen. Where's Lil' Comet. We haven't had any Brown Shed time lately. LOL

soberups

Sober, 300 delivered and 200 picked up! I wouldn't have lasted a year. Please tell us you're looking for a resi route soon.

I have had more than one opportunity to bid onto routes that are primarily residential, but at the time they were put up they went out in P-500 or P-600's and I wasnt interested in spending all day fighting the equipment. I am too big and fat and old to deal with a P-5 for any length of time.

soberups

And using today's dollars at ~$100,000 total compensation per year, that $2.1 million dollars at around 84 cents per package!

I didnt check your math but I have no doubt you are correct. $2.1 million dollars over 21 years means that for my entire career I have made almost half of what Scott Davis did.... in 2008.

Another statistic I am proud of....I have done 21 years, 2 1/2 million pieces and 30 million pounds without a lost-time injury. Ive been on TAW a handful of times for some strains and sprains, but never once have I gone out on comp.

Thats why I have very little interest when some safety committee weenie with barely a year under his belt tries to tell me how important it is to memorize an acronym or a commentary. My record speaks for itself.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I have had more than one opportunity to bid onto routes that are primarily residential, but at the time they were put up they went out in P-500 or P-600's and I wasnt interested in spending all day fighting the equipment. I am too big and fat and old to deal with a P-5 for any length of time.
How can You big big & fat with all those bundles picked up & delivered??Old?? maybe, but I was under the impression you would be a muscular sex machine eye candy for the ladies type of guy,minus the 3 point seatbelt!!

soberups

How can You big big & fat with all those bundles picked up & delivered??Old?? maybe, but I was under the impression you would be a muscular sex machine eye candy for the ladies type of guy,minus the 3 point seatbelt!!

I am eye candy...for my wife at least. Fortunately for me she has very poor eyesight. I will never forget the look of dismay on her face when she got a new pair of glasses and saw me clearly for the first time...she threw the glasses away and demanded a refund from the optometrist.

ih8tbrn

Banned
I didnt check your math but I have no doubt you are correct. $2.1 million dollars over 21 years means that for my entire career I have made almost half of what Scott Davis did.... in 2008.

Another statistic I am proud of....I have done 21 years, 2 1/2 million pieces and 30 million pounds without a lost-time injury. Ive been on TAW a handful of times for some strains and sprains, but never once have I gone out on comp.

Thats why I have very little interest when some safety committee weenie with barely a year under his belt tries to tell me how important it is to memorize an acronym or a commentary. My record speaks for itself.

Unfortunately, to the dressed up dummies running the show all of this is irrelevant. If something were to happen today, they would want to know why you chose to ignore the "high quality" training you received and got yourself into trouble. After all, with 21 years experience nothing could ever go wrong unless it was intentional.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!

your right about the wennie,I was told that I have ''been lucky so far'' 20 yrs without an injury! this kid was in pre/school when I started this streak!!

And using today's dollars at ~$100,000 total compensation per year, that $2.1 million dollars at around 84 cents per package!

Ok... so this is where I start to think about benefits and pension... Uniforms and all of the ancillary stuff that goes with the job... then how much did you cost the company. People don't think about worker's comp insurance and the social security match...

I'm sure it's still relatively small in relation to the amount of money UPS has made off of you, but it would be interesting to see the analysis.

On another note: think about you preloader. Can you imagine if you had the same person loading not only yours, but at least two other routes... that's 1000 packages a day -- not counting splits they had to take off! I have worked preload for UPS for three years eight months and load a mix of resi and industrial parks. I handle at least 1000 pieces a day. So... 1000 pkgs x 240 days per year (approx -- I have 2 weeks off, plus 1 week option... and holidays...) = 240,000 pkgs per year. 240,000 x 3.75 years = 900,000 packages in just under 4 years...

Not think about the guys in the Primary who unload the trailers....

ugh...

Last edited: