An appropriate reponse

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by bigmistake, Apr 27, 2011.

1. bigmistake

bigmistake Member

During a recent converstaion with my Supervisor, he commented "if you don't like the job, go work somewhere else." My response was, "if thats the way you feel, go supervise somewhere else." What would your response be to such a thoughtless comment?
  2. softshoe

softshoe Member

I always like to remind a Supervisor that I'd be there longer then they would, and chances are they would be fired or shipped out to the "boonies"
  3. iowa boy

iowa boy Well-Known Member

I love my job, just hate the supervision!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. Coldworld

Coldworld Well-Known Member

I dont mind supervision...its the micromanaging beyond micromanaging that has been going on that is a sure sign of an harassing and toxic work environment. I dont need someone to come out with me to tell me I need to move those 900 packages faster when they know damn well that they could NEVER do my route for a week without having a heart attack or getting a slipped disk.
  5. brown bomber

brown bomber brown bomber

thank you, sir.........may I have another..................this has been standard operating procedure for the past half-dozen years.......eventually this arrogance,will cause will bite 'em in the ass
  6. Coldworld

Coldworld Well-Known Member

hasnt it already been causing problems...most people dread coming to work now and if you ask people a few years ago they wouldnt of had the same response.
  7. soberups

soberups Pees in the brown Koolaid

Your response was an excellent one. Another might be to say..."I'm sorry that talking to your employees in such a manner is the level you are having to stoop to in order to justify your job." Sometimes it doesnt hurt to give them a subtle reminder of how little authority they actually have.
  8. stewardtwoniner

stewardtwoniner New Member

I would probably curl up into a ball and die since that sups opinion is all I worry about.
  9. over9five

over9five Senior Member Staff Member

"I was doing this job when you were in diapers, kid. I've seen people like you come and go...."
    Laugh and walk away.
  10. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

Blow it off it's really only just cardboard anyway.
  11. steward71

steward71 Active Member

Look up into the Sky it is Super Sup. they are all like this. Just smile.
  12. TearsInRain

TearsInRain part-time bossman

when i was an hourly i'd say something along the lines of "you wish"

as a PT supe, all of my people follow my directions pretty well, thus avoiding such confrontation entirely

then again, i never ask anything of my people that i couldn't do myself, and if they can't handle the work i give them, i hand them off to someone else; i have too much work and not enough time to drum people out of UPS and i won't train and lead someone just to harass them about production metrics handed down from someone i've never even met

i'll leave the firing/harassment to someone who enjoys that nonsense
  13. steward71

steward71 Active Member

good for you.
  14. PT Stewie

PT Stewie "Big Fella"

Smile and reply a variation of an old phrase " Sups are like buses if you wait a little while another one will come along"
  15. tarbar66

tarbar66 Member

I liked almost all the responses.

Thanks for the smile!
  16. upserr1

upserr1 New Member

I've been told that before I just tell them it's not the job i don't like and just walk away smiling
  17. 728ups

728ups offending people on the internet since 1995

i have heard that line for 26 years. I just laugh at them,ask them if thats really the best line they have and walk away laughing
  18. Bubblehead

Bubblehead My Senior Picture

I would say something to humiliate them in front of a large group and then key their car on the way out that night.
  19. Bubblehead

Bubblehead My Senior Picture

Oh, I'm sorry.
    I thought the thread title was "inappropriate response".
  20. hellfire

hellfire no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG

id tell him later that nite i was gonna eat a huge portion of chicken and collards