An appropriate reponse

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
The correct response would be to say nothing.

Actions speak loudly.

Why pour gasoline on an ignorant comment by a Supervisor?

packageguy

The correct response would be to say nothing.

Actions speak loudly.

Why pour gasoline on an ignorant comment by a Supervisor?

Your right. but sometime you have to vent, or place a package in there truck because of a route they have to pull because of call outs. thats my way of sticking to them.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
During a recent converstaion with my Supervisor, he commented "if you don't like the job, go work somewhere else." My response was, "if thats the way you feel, go supervise somewhere else." What would your response be to such a thoughtless comment?

How about you elaborate on this thought provoking discussion you had with the supervisor...please.

brownIEman

The best response would be to say "I think I will do just that", hand him your ID and walk out, trailing browns behind you...

That'll show em

brownIEman

I just love open ended rants. Maybe it would be nice to know what the driver did to incite such a comment/QUOTE

Maybe, just maybe he said nothing, maybe supervisor was egging him on.

Highly, highly unlikely. I have heard my partners say this same idiotic statement to hourlies many, many times. I have even had my boss say it to me at one time. In EVERY case, it was a response to excessive whining and or bitching, and or venting, whatever you want to call it. Yes, in my case as well.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Highly, highly unlikely. I have heard my partners say this same idiotic statement to hourlies many, many times. I have even had my boss say it to me at one time. In EVERY case, it was a response to excessive whining and or bitching, and or venting, whatever you want to call it. Yes, in my case as well.
This is why I try not to speak to management, I'd hate to seem "whining or bitching". Somehow I still manage to get through the day without the superior guidance that would be bestowed upon me otherwise.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

I have heard that statement also, and in every case it was when the management person knew I was right but couldnt admit it because his job function required him to parrot the company line instead of being real and admitting the truth.

"If you dont like it go work someplace else" can often be translated to "I know its stupid but thats what IE says we have to do so just shut up and pretend that it makes sense so that I can look good on this report."

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Your response was an excellent one. Another might be to say..."I'm sorry that talking to your employees in such a manner is the level you are having to stoop to in order to justify your job." Sometimes it doesnt hurt to give them a subtle reminder of how little authority they actually have.
Good one I need to memorize this one.

brownIEman

This is why I try not to speak to management, I'd hate to seem "whining or bitching". Somehow I still manage to get through the day without the superior guidance that would be bestowed upon me otherwise.

That is a tad drastic. Really, the easiest way to avoid seeming to be whining or bitching, is to not whine or bitch.

I am not saying I always succeed in the execution of this strategy, but I still recognize it as the best strategy...

brownIEman

I have heard that statement also, and in every case it was when the management person knew I was right but couldnt admit it because his job function required him to parrot the company line instead of being real and admitting the truth.

"If you dont like it go work someplace else" can often be translated to "I know its stupid but thats what IE says we have to do so just shut up and pretend that it makes sense so that I can look good on this report."

I am not necessarily disagreeing with you. I used the term "excessive" in regards to the whining and bitching and venting for a reason. You are correct in your translation of what that phrase can often mean. Here is another translation that is just as often accurate "I understand your concern over this issue, in fact I got it the first 700 times you screamed it at me this morning, and I am unsure what else I can possibly say to get you to understand that I am not going to be able to fix it right now. If you had started this morning doing your job with the same energy and intensity and focus that you are now bitching at me with, you would be done and home with your family already having run your route 3 hours under allowed".

Does not alter my belief that using that line with a subordinate is moronic.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I dont mind supervision...its the micromanaging beyond micromanaging that has been going on that is a sure sign of an harassing and toxic work environment. I dont need someone to come out with me to tell me I need to move those 900 packages faster when they know damn well that they could NEVER do my route for a week without having a heart attack or getting a slipped disk.

Our new policy on the preload is one safety obs per person per week. That is a one hour micromanaging where the sup does not take his/her eye off of you.

I have been SWM'd 6 days in a row, for approximately 8-12 hours, to give you an idea of what anyone that files on them gets in retaliation.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You just like A.J.:wink2:

I do like aj. I admire her spirit in the face of adversity. I admire her common sense. I am impressed that she knows what a flea flicker is. I especially admire that she lives each day to the fullest and will have no regrets later in life.

I also am thankful for Dizzee's artistic efforts.:wink2:

menotyou

bella amicizia
Our new policy on the preload is one safety obs per person per week. That is a one hour micromanaging where the sup does not take his/her eye off of you.

I have been SWM'd 6 days in a row, for approximately 8-12 hours, to give you an idea of what anyone that files on them gets in retaliation.
Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner! (I think that is what they yell when a grievance is filed.)