And down goes freight

overflowed

Guess the purple IV is drippin hard. What do you think they said at that terminal? "If you go union they will just shut the company down?"

vantexan

Had a Freight guy tell me his terminal won't vote yes either. Said there were a few disgruntled guys but most were pretty happy with the job. Considering how fast they top out and that they don't work at the pace couriers do it's not surprising. He felt there would be some that unionize but plenty of terminals that don't.

Indecisi0n

My brain still can't fathom how you guys haven't gone union yet. We all get treated like crap but at least we have job security, good pay, PTO, 401K, pension, with protection from harassment etc. All benefits of the union. Good luck guys.

hypo hanna

My brain still can't fathom how you guys haven't gone union yet. We all get treated like crap but at least we have job security, good pay, PTO, 401K, pension, with protection from harassment etc. All benefits of the union. Good luck guys.
It boggles the mind. Back in the 70's and 80's it was a much differant company but by the 90's It was becoming clear the direction the company was headed in regards to the hourly employee. Still there were tons of koolaid drinkers around, (myself included) who didn't want to believe it. I stood on the sidelines when the subject of unionizing came up and I regret it to this day. Once fedex beat back that effort, things grew steadily worse for the hourlies.

Indecisi0n

It boggles the mind. Back in the 70's and 80's it was a much differant company but by the 90's It was becoming clear the direction the company was headed in regards to the hourly employee. Still there were tons of koolaid drinkers around, (myself included) who didn't want to believe it. I stood on the sidelines when the subject of unionizing came up and I regret it to this day. Once fedex beat back that effort, things grew steadily worse for the hourlies.
And I can understand that when being isolated but don't these guys look at UPS and say "why don't we have that stuff"?

hypo hanna

Some do and try to convince others but its a hard sell. Especially with fedex anti union tactics. There is real fear of even mentioning the word "union".
There is also a two tiered structure of drivers. The old 25 year and up guys who don't see much to gain and the new hires with no more then 3-5 years who aren't planning on sticking around. There are very few drivers in that midrange who would be the heart of a union drive IMO.

Indecisi0n

Some do and try to convince others but its a hard sell. Especially with fedex anti union tactics. There is real fear of even mentioning the word "union".
There is also a two tiered structure of drivers. The old 25 year and up guys who don't see much to gain and the new hires with no more then 3-5 years who aren't planning on sticking around. There are very few drivers in that midrange who would be the heart of a union drive IMO.
That's pretty sad. Hopefully they will come around and you guys can get what you deserve.

BigTex61

Fools. That opens the door for Fedex to really screw them over. The Teamsters will never go back and Freight will have no relief when X puts the screws.to them.

White Line

What good is it going to do if some terminals unionize and some don't? The ones that unionize will probably get sweetheart contracts which really are not worth a :censored2:, just speaking from experience, unless it's the whole opco they will not get a master freight contract, and to my knowledge the only three with a MF contract is UPS, YRC and ABF, guess where all the other ones that had MF contracts are at, they are out of business, master freight died with Hoffa Sr.

White Line

Besides that, what the hell does FDX freight need a union for anyway, can someone please provide a example of the horrible sweatshop conditions they are working in that justify going union, the express and ground guys I can understand but freight really???, do any of you on this board actually know how easy LTL freight is?

MAKAVELI

Besides that, what the hell does FDX freight need a union for anyway, can someone please provide a example of the horrible sweatshop conditions they are working in that justify going union, the express and ground guys I can understand but freight really???, do any of you on this board actually know how easy LTL freight is?
It's not about how easy or hard a job is. It's about " negotiating " the best possible wages, benefits and work rules for these drivers. Working for Ground as a contractor, I would think you understand that concept.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's not the point.