And... I am In.

Rainman

Its all good.
Don't take things personally. Most of what happens at UPS is just the way the business operates. Sometimes you may feel it's directed personally, but in reality, the majority of the time it isn't.
Try to be positive. You will have to deal with the same situations regardless, but if you look at the positive aspects and focus on them, then you will be much more content than if you focus on the negative aspects.
Respect what the experienced drivers tell you. They've been there & done that and can help you avoid mistakes that could cost you lots of grief.
Sign every bid list that has a position that you may want. The worst they can do is tell you no.
File on every disciplinary action they may take against you. It could save you time in the street on the future.
Good luck. Hope things work out for you.

brostalss

Work smart. That way you don't have to work hard. Be smooth. Be safe.

When in doubt about how to handle a situation, call the center, let them make the decision.

Dot your "I's" and cross your "T's"

You are gonna have good days and bad days. Learn from both.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Tackle each day with a plan but be ready to throw it out the window. Take care of your customers. If the customers like you they may overlook little mistakes that you will make.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Congratulations, I don't know when you started so I don't know when you make your book(the day they can no longer just fire you). So make sure you know when that magic date is or was. Without making your book, seniority, whatever you want to call it, they can get rid of you in a heartbeat . After you make your book, they have to go through more lengthy procedures.

I would think having the mindset that we are all at-will employees would keep us on our toes.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Or thats what she told me.

Anyways I just want to thank everyone who helped me on this forum. I'm really proud to be able to tell you guy im a new full time driver at UPS woot woot. out of 65 casuals only 3 of us made it.
now any tips, ideas, recommendations?

Cry, moan, and carry on, about not knowing "that route"! Sups will keep you on the same routes all the time, making your life a lot easier!

P

pickup

I would think having the mindset that we are all at-will employees would keep us on our toes.

I agree with you. I tend to look at it that we are like trapeze artists plying our living on trapezes with a safety net under us. Albeit a safety net that has been known to have failed in the past and has a not-insignificant and unknown probability to fail again. Better to stay sharp and focused and not fall then to fall and test that safety net.

But if I were to fall, it is nice to know that this not so formidable safety net is under me.

OPTION3

I agree with you. I tend to look at it that we are like trapeze artists plying our living on trapezes with a safety net under us. Albeit a safety net that has been known to have failed in the past and has a not-insignificant and unknown probability to fail again. Better to stay sharp and focused and not fall then to fall and test that safety net.

But if I were to fall, it is nice to know that this not so formidable safety net is under me.
Or you can just go into the ringmasters tent.....turn the lights down low.....bowwww-chicka-bow wow!