And I Think To Myself, What A Wonderful World!

wkmac

WASHINGTON – Dozens of lawmakers have drawn scrutiny from their ethics monitor this year for everything from financial dealings to travel and campaign donations, according to a leaked account showing an active House panel secretly at work.
Seven of the lawmakers — four not previously known — serve on a defense appropriations subcommittee that divvies up money for Pentagon contractors.

Leaked Ethics Reports Rattles Congress

Ah, to wake up to that Yahoo headline, the day is starting off wonderful!
:peaceful:

wkmac

Did you also know that the W.H. can't tell the difference between jobs created or jobs saved??

More,

Look across the decades and how over time things have gotten worse and worse and worse and then tell me if you see any intelligent life at all ever being in the WH to begin with? In principle I agree with your point but it's really nothing new at all in the first place.

You think this game wasn't played before? With all the talk of conservative republicans about how they are the only ones to cut and limit gov't size and the illusion is boosted by democrats re-enforcing the lie by telling America that republicans are killing their gov't by cutting it, but the truth is under Bush, the very opposite is true. Even so true of the "Great Gipper" contrary to the public mythology snake oil sold by "The Gip's" religionists on both sides of the isle.

Let's see the serpent in the garden for what he really was!

he entered office as an ideologue who promised a conservative revolution, vowing to slash the size of government, radically scale back entitlements, and deploy the powers of the presidency in pursuit of socially and culturally conservative goals. That he essentially failed in this mission hasn't stopped partisan biographers from pretending otherwise....
A sober review of Reagan's presidency doesn't yield the seamlessly conservative record being peddled today. Federal government expanded on his watch. The conservative desire to outlaw abortion was never seriously pursued......
His assault on entitlements never materialized; instead he saved Social Security in 1983. democrats love playing myth over truth on this one
And he repeatedly ignored the fundamental conservative dogma that taxes should never be raised. Both sides completely ignore TEFRA

Or what does Bruce Bartlett, former Reagan advisor say?

The only problem with this analysis is that it is historically inaccurate. Reagan may have resisted calls for tax increases, but he ultimately supported them. In 1982 alone, he signed into law not one but two major tax increases. The Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibility Act (TEFRA) raised taxes by $37.5 billion per year and the Highway Revenue Act raised the gasoline tax by another $3.3 billion.
According to a recent Treasury Department study, TEFRA alone raised taxes by almost 1 percent of the gross domestic product, making it the largest peacetime tax increase in American history. An increase of similar magnitude today would raise more than $100 billion per year.
In 1983, Reagan signed legislation raising the Social Security tax rate. This is a tax increase that lives with us still, since it initiated automatic increases in the taxable wage base. As a consequence, those with moderately high earnings see their payroll taxes rise every single year.
In 1984, Reagan signed another big tax increase in the Deficit Reduction Act. This raised taxes by $18 billion per year or 0.4 percent of GDP. A similar-sized tax increase today would be about $44 billion.
The Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985 raised taxes yet again. Even the Tax Reform Act of 1986, which was designed to be revenue-neutral, contained a net tax increase in its first 2 years. And the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1987 raised taxes still more.

Would you be interested to know that in 1980' at the end of his Presidency, Jimmy Carter spent 27.9% of the national income which was a whooping amount. In 1988' at the end of his Presidency, Reagan was spending 28.7% of the national income and yet Reagan is painted as the great gov't cutter! Even under Reagan, the number of federal employees by 1988 had grown by 230k from it's 1980' number when Carter gave Gip and Nancy the house keys. Did Reagan tell us the truth about these jobs too? Did democrats or were they spreading the lie too just to re-inforce their own political CONstruct?

George Bush like his party's earlier illusions presided over nothing more than a socialization of the jobs market via a federal jobs program. And these new federal jobs, what new product did they sell to obtain revenue to pay for their existence? None! Their existence required economic resources to be pull from the economy which was already in an economic downturn which forced Uncle Sam to hit the loan window, which in turn caused Uncle Sam to manipulate interest rates for a political end, which caused an even worse bubble to baloon.

Contrary to the myth, like all republican adminstrations before, Federal level gov't grew in size during the Bush adminstration just like it had before under previous republican adminstrations. Democrats have their problems too but since you continue to wave the elephant flag, I figure I'd rip it out of your hands, spit and piss on it and burn it before killing donkeys!

:wink2:

And for Obama, seems to me that he's being Reaganesque if TRUTH be told!

And yet you still can't figure out why things only continue to get worse!

Pretend this is me and you should know the drill by now. Make you feel better!

1984-movie-goldstein.jpg

:happy-very:

diesel96

Leaked Ethics Reports Rattles Congress

Ah, to wake up to that Yahoo headline, the day is starting off wonderful!
:peaceful:

I don't know about rattling any Congressman with "leakes" unless solid evidense and testimony can justify a conviction or punishment.....but you know how difficult it is to prosecute their own kind. I mean double-u-tee-eff, they won't even attempt to prosecute some of the heavywieghts of the previous administration, and that's with solid evidense and proof....

BTW....Post number three....thumbs up :thumbsup:

wkmac

I don't know about rattling any Congressman with "leakes" unless solid evidense and testimony can justify a conviction or punishment.....but you know how difficult it is to prosecute their own kind. I mean double-u-tee-eff, they won't even attempt to prosecute some of the heavywieghts of the previous administration, and that's with solid evidense and proof....

BTW....Post number three....thumbs up :thumbsup:

You make a very good point about conviction but even failure to police and convict in itself is helpful, from a certain POV. The more they shoot themselves in the head, the more I like it!

People on both sides are waking up and that's a good thing IMO.

I'd be careful about the thumbs up. When I do that to you, I'm called a liberal so you may be called an anarchist!

Together we are:rofl:
Is that bi-partisianship?
:wink2:

island1fox

Never fear..... this is all George Bush's fault

:happy-very:Gosh ----- I was so so sure that it was Monica and Bill.
Before you laugh at this ---check the fact that in between cigars silly willy actually signed legislation to have Fannie(NOT MONICA'S) and Freddie set the stage to where we are at today.

I would much prefer to live in the present but since we continue to get "Bush Wacked" I must also go back to the days of soggy cigars !

wkmac

:happy-very:Gosh ----- I was so so sure that it was Monica and Bill.
Before you laugh at this ---check the fact that in between cigars silly willy actually signed legislation to have Fannie(NOT MONICA'S) and Freddie set the stage to where we are at today.

I would much prefer to live in the present but since we continue to get "Bush Wacked" I must also go back to the days of soggy cigars !

Also Bush used a Clinton pretext to advance the war in Iraq. Was the Bush Pretext something new?

Do these 1998' words have a familar ring to them? Words we know now are completely false?

Maybe the real reason the gov't won't police the criminals among them is because they all have blood on their hands. Heard a new word yesterday thanks to a completely worthless piece of celluloid IMO but the word is a goodie IMO

The name suits them perfectly!

Truth be known, we'd be shocked to learn how wars really start or for that fact the foundations of any public policy.

"]YouTube - Wag The Dog

P

pickup

Speaking of wagging, now the word is that H1N1 threatens the internet according to the gov't.

to quote Al Gore, the internet inventor, "he played on our fears!"

and for what ends?

I read just a bit of that article. I think with if all the unemployed people in the last year who were stuck at home (like Klein) didn't crash the internet, then how could this scenario (people stuck in their homes crashing the net) do it?

I think the real fear is that the internet will crash the lies concerning the h1n1 virus. Lies that come from the official mouthpieces and running dogs of the government. The internet is a free printing press to all and that is a problem for the government. I am sure they will not want any competing news about their quarantine camps being seen by the public. So if the net suddenly crashes, blame it on the h1n1 virus, but not because of the mass of people shutting it down but because the government shut it down

The countdown to 12/21/12 continues .