And the GOP finds a way to hurt the middle class, once again....!

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
In the last few days, congress passed their "jobs bill" that they touted as the recipe for fixing our economy and to attempt to reverse the idea that they are the party of DO NOTHING. John Boehner was all over the media talking about his wonderful bill and how it was great for americans... or IS IT???

What Boehner didnt say, or Eric Cantor for that matter, is a little provision contained in the bill that gave the power to the states to DRUG TEST all applicants for UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE even through no fault of their own.

In other words, lets say you got layed off from UPS after 15 years, you did nothing wrong to deserve the layoff and you go to the unemployment office, BEFORE you can even apply for the insurance, you have to take a DRUG TEST and prove to the state that you are NOT on drugs!

Thats right, even if you did nothing wrong to lose your job, the GOP wants to treat you like a criminal!!! What I cant believe is all the talk about getting goverment out of our lives and around every corner, the GOP is INVADING peoples privacies!!

Are americans willing to lose their right to privacy for the GOP?

We pay into unemployment by force and have no way to opt out of it, and when we need to get "our own" money back, there SHOULD BE no STRINGS attached!

But thats not what the GOP believes! ITS THEIR MONEY! and you better be drug free if you want to get your own money back from them by allowing them to violate your right to privacy!

The right wing kooks in arizona just took it up a notch, by passing a bill in the AZ senate authorizing drug testing for unemployment insurance and the ink isnt even dry yet!
Drug Tests For Jobless Advance In Arizona, First State To Move After Congress' Green Light

Right after they blow it by starting a war with women in this country, now they want to go to war with the unemployed???

How hard does the GOP have to try to lose the election? Why are the GOP faithful so gulible for this kind of goverment intrusion?

Do ahead, defend this bill.

Peace

TOS

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Can't wait for the GOP to enforce drug testing for SS, medicare and WCB receipients ! :)

We could only hope.

SS and Medicare are age-eligible entitlement programs only so drug testing would not be appopriate (other than for SS disability). I am not as concerned about drug testing for worker's comp as I am about the fraud--guy out with a back injury seen working on his roof (true story). I would like to see drug testing for welfare recipients and would also work toward a program in which they earn what they are given.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I wish the state program would be given back to the cities and towns.
If you wanted to collect from the taxpayers , one actually had to go to the local treasurers office and face the shame of personally asking for your handout.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
This is an issue of losing a personal liberty. A constitutional right to privacy. Something I thought the TEA PARTY republicans were all about. NOW, they want to drug test and invade the personal privacy of persons applying for unemployment.

Why not drug test congressman or senators every 6 months for cocaine? What about our men and women in uniform? Why not test them monthly? They recieve goverment money. There are plenty of pot smokers in our military ranks.

Why not test talking heads like Dick Morris, he has already been caught snorting cocaine with prostitutes and now comes on the air preaching that the is the new moral gauge of the right wing on fox?

LIBERTIES folks. Why would the GOP insist on taking them away behind your backs while in your face they talk about protecting your constitutional rights?

Peace

TOS

av8torntn

SS and Medicare are age-eligible entitlement programs only so drug testing would not be appopriate (other than for SS disability). I am not as concerned about drug testing for worker's comp as I am about the fraud--guy out with a back injury seen working on his roof (true story). I would like to see drug testing for welfare recipients and would also work toward a program in which they earn what they are given.

The government forces me to take a drug test to earn my wages and then take some of that money by force to give to others so I have no problem holding them to the same standard the government holds me to. That goes for all of them politicians and welfare recipients including social security. For worker comp I have worked at several places that required you to take a drug test if you get hurt on the job.

moreluck

golden ticket member
RE: politicians.......I think they should have to have the forced healthcare that they are putting on all Americans.If it's so great, wouldn't the want some of that??

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The government forces me to take a drug test to earn my wages and then take some of that money by force to give to others so I have no problem holding them to the same standard the government holds me to. That goes for all of them politicians and welfare recipients including social security. For worker comp I have worked at several places that required you to take a drug test if you get hurt on the job.

There is a difference between a "standard" and a constitutional right. Why not test all senior citizens to see if they are drug free?

This is about "civil liberties" AV8, When I hear you agree that ALL military men and women shall be tested before they collect a paycheck from the taxpayers each month, then Ill agree that private persons should be tested to recieve their own money back from the unemployment insurance.

As I said before, the TEA PARTY is dead and so is there claim to protect the rights of citizens and a larger intrusive goverment.

Here's a question?

Who will pay for this drig test. According to the right wing, there are 15 million people getting unemployment insurance, the average simple drug screen costs about 50 bucks each, times that by 15 million and that costs the goverment 750 million dollars each year.

Does the goverment have an extra 750 million dollars to spend on useless drug tests? DO THE MATH PEOPLE!

If you want a wider screen to detect different drugs other than pot, then those tests can run up to 100 bucks each. Now youre talking a billion dollars a year.

Whos' stupid idea was this again? OH YEAH , the COST CUTTING REPUBLICANS!

What a crock!

Peace

TOS

av8torntn

There is a difference between a "standard" and a constitutional right. Why not test all senior citizens to see if they are drug free?

This is about "civil liberties" AV8, When I hear you agree that ALL military men and women shall be tested before they collect a paycheck from the taxpayers each month, then Ill agree that private persons should be tested to recieve their own money back from the unemployment insurance.

As I said before, the TEA PARTY is dead and so is there claim to protect the rights of citizens and a larger intrusive goverment.

Here's a question?

Who will pay for this drig test. According to the right wing, there are 15 million people getting unemployment insurance, the average simple drug screen costs about 50 bucks each, times that by 15 million and that costs the goverment 750 million dollars each year.

Does the goverment have an extra 750 million dollars to spend on useless drug tests? DO THE MATH PEOPLE!

If you want a wider screen to detect different drugs other than pot, then those tests can run up to 100 bucks each. Now youre talking a billion dollars a year.

Whos' stupid idea was this again? OH YEAH , the COST CUTTING REPUBLICANS!

What a crock!

Peace

TOS

The basis of your argument is foolish. Members of the military are already drug tested. They have been for decades.

klein

Für Meno :)
The basis of your argument is foolish. Members of the military are already drug tested. They have been for decades.

Humbug ! Maybe at the point of enlisting, but then that's it.
If you want drugs in Germany, best choice are American soldiers to get it from.

wkmac

I wonder how much money will be spent for the drug testing process as opposed to how many people would be eliminated as a consequence. Florida's efforts along this line suggested the return on that investment yielded a net loss to taxpayer who foot the testing bill so what would be the point if economic savings is? Using Florida as the model, the taxpayer would at least be ahead economically if no drug testing took place.

I'm betting however if we drove deep into this whole thing we'd find political connections for those who contract with the gov't (likely no-bid of course) to provide the testing under this program and that in truth the whole thing is another corp. welfare boondoggle. But then you could always just ignore economics and best allocation of resources, accept the surface of illusions, ignore welfare as really being a corp. profits windfall and aggregate price floor support and demand of everyone else that, "I got slammed in the butt when I voluntarily bent over to be a gov't punk so everyone else should have to as well."

Lesson: Never bend over for the gov't under any pretext because they will play hide the salami and expect you to say:

"thank you sir, may I have another!"

Seems to me quite a few here love to take the salami while pretending they don't!

klein

Für Meno :)
Perhaps mandatory drug testing for those that apply for a passport, too ?
Might shut down some drug dealing smugglers, and stop drug addicts from getting out of the country .

IT's a goverment service, so they would have the right to, right ?

av8torntn

I wonder how much money will be spent for the drug testing process as opposed to how many people would be eliminated as a consequence.

How much money is spent to test drivers as opposed to how much is saved. If it is good for the goose it is good for the gander. Get rid of it all and lessen the penalties for drug use and even more money will be saved. I've been subject to government mandated drug tests my entire adult life and I oppose them all but if I have to do it everyone else should as well.

wkmac

How much money is spent to test drivers as opposed to how much is saved. If it is good for the goose it is good for the gander. Get rid of it all and lessen the penalties for drug use and even more money will be saved. I've been subject to government mandated drug tests my entire adult life and I oppose them all but if I have to do it everyone else should as well.

Well, I'll say this, what you just said speaks volumes!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The way I see it, if you give your life away to the govt, for food stamps, medical, housing, utilitity payments, child care, they have a right to know why you cant get a job. If it is because you take drugs, well no wonder you cannot get a job. In todays world anyone who works at a gainful employment job, must pass a terst. if you go to work for a fly by night company, then they also shirk the responsibilities of osha, and you will have no guarantee your job wont leave in the mid of night, or make you work unsafely.
I have no problem if you want to smoke pot, I want to smoke pot, but I CANT.
And I would only be drug tested if I had an accident. But in gainfully looking for employment, I know and everyone with half a brain knows they will be tested. Maybe people who need welfare shouldnt have the freedom to do drugs. Maybe they shouldnt be using tax dollars to buy them. Maybe if they had a clue about taking care of themselves they wouldnt be a slave to getting high, and view it as a luxury.
Maybe they learn to write a resume, keep a schedule, cook food, prapare meals and care for their children.
Maybe they need to worry about how to buy medicine, food, a car, pay insurance, pay their rent, and not have so much time to do the other stuff, like us.