And you thought ups was bad......

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I see the fedex ground guy on my route a couple weeks ago and he was telling me that they received a memo that stated if they get a speeding ticket in a personal vehicle, they are now suspended for 6 months from delivering for fedex. I asked him if by person car it meant his delivery vehicle, no...their personal vehicle on personal time....what do you all think of this??

Random_Facts

I can see this going two ways. First off, yes it may seem a little harsh. If you look at it this way, if everyone in the world got punished from their jobs because they all got a speeding ticket. No one would be working because they would all be suspended lol. Then again it's a driving company (If you're a driver that is). As they say in the trucking world, the more tickets a driver has. The higher the insurance cost it is to employee that person. If you follow me on that.

In my opinion, I think 6months is harsh though. That's a little steep.

dupa

On-Road Integrated Optimization and Navigation.
How do you hold an independent contractor to that, make him suspend himself?

over9five

Staff member
I see the fedex ground guy on my route a couple weeks ago and he was telling me that they received a memo that stated if they get a speeding ticket in a personal vehicle, they are now suspended for 6 months from delivering for fedex. I asked him if by person car it meant his delivery vehicle, no...their personal vehicle on personal time....what do you all think of this??

I think they are talking about CSA 2010 , HOWEVER they are mistaken. Tickets received in your personal vehicle do not count:

"Similar to today’s SafeStat, tickets or warnings that commercial motor vehicle drivers receive while operating their personal vehicles do not count in the new Safety Measurement System."

bbsam

Staff member
He is mistaken and should re-read the memo carefully.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I can see this going two ways. First off, yes it may seem a little harsh. If you look at it this way, if everyone in the world got punished from their jobs because they all got a speeding ticket. No one would be working because they would all be suspended lol. Then again it's a driving company (If you're a driver that is). As they say in the trucking world, the more tickets a driver has. The higher the insurance cost it is to employee that person. If you follow me on that.

In my opinion, I think 6months is harsh though. That's a little steep.

Fed Ex ground drivers are independent contractors, FED Ex pays nothing for insurance. The drivers own their own trucks and pay for their own insurance. I would tell them to go jump in the lake!! How would they possibly know if they got a ticket on their own time anyway?

UPSGUY72

How do they suspended independent contractors ? Do they buy the route back for six months???

Random_Facts

Fed Ex ground drivers are independent contractors, FED Ex pays nothing for insurance. The drivers own their own trucks and pay for their own insurance. I would tell them to go jump in the lake!! How would they possibly know if they got a ticket on their own time anyway?

Oh, well that ittle peice is good to know in the future. (It's pretty clear to tell I don't work for fedex lol). I just thought or assumed that their 18 wheeler division was only independent contractors, I didn't realize all the trucks where too. even the pacakge divison. hm see? learn something new each day. Thanks!=D

RustyPMcG

And they can't fire you for smoking pot on your own time?

In the case of an independent contractor, there's no one to fire. But that technicality aside, while they could fire you for doing something illegal on your own time, it's hard for an employer to cover their butts on that.

They can easily fire you for a positive drug test when you show up for work. They can easily fire you for showing up under the influence. There's no need to deal with all the questionable legalities regarding behavior outside of work when that behavior leads so well to a situation at work that's so easy to justify.

But back to the situation in the thread, I'm very puzzeled by it. Why would FedEx want to do anything that would make them appear to be more like an employer? Aren't they trying to do everything they can to make sure it is clear the Ground drivers AREN'T their employees?

bbsam

Staff member
In the case of an independent contractor, there's no one to fire. But that technicality aside, while they could fire you for doing something illegal on your own time, it's hard for an employer to cover their butts on that.

They can easily fire you for a positive drug test when you show up for work. They can easily fire you for showing up under the influence. There's no need to deal with all the questionable legalities regarding behavior outside of work when that behavior leads so well to a situation at work that's so easy to justify.

But back to the situation in the thread, I'm very puzzeled by it. Why would FedEx want to do anything that would make them appear to be more like an employer? Aren't they trying to do everything they can to make sure it is clear the Ground drivers AREN'T their employees?
Because they wave several thousands of dollars in front of the contractors and they sign on the dotted line agreeing to it and bada-bing, it's done.