Anonymous posters?

Cementups

Box Monkey
Why do we allow this? Or at least, why do we not put a limit on it. I think if you want to be a poster you should be a member. Maybe have a max of 5 post from a particular IP and then make the person be a registered user. I know people are worried about other people kknowing them and their post being held against them but I am pretty sure you are protected by this thing called the 1st ammendment.

This is the only web board I am on that let's people post anonymously and I just don' understand it.

over9five

Staff member
Good question, Cement!
What is it that bothers you about anonymous posters?

I have no problem with them. Actually, even we registered users are anonymous!

I like being anonymous and have often wondered how "secure" our identities are. If UPS did not like something I said, would they contact Cheryl and ask for my identity? Would she tell them? If not, could they get some court order?? Would she tell them then?? What if they offered her ONE MILLION DOLLARS for all our IPs? That's all they'd need, just have to compare them to our registration at upsers.com.

trickpony1

..........but I am pretty sure you are protected by this thing called the 1st ammendment.

Good point (lol).
We are also "protected" by a mutually agreed upon labor agreement, ADA laws, discrimination laws, labor laws, etc but that doesn't stop the company from using their shrewd and possibly illegal techniques to harass/fire us.

......but then maybe I work for a different company than you.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
UPS does ask us what we think, that is what the ERI is about. And we all see how much that changes anything! They could care less what someone posts on an internet discussion board. Membership on the Brown Cafe is free, the only piece of personal info is an e-mail address. If you are concerned about your identity, which you shouldn't be, just use an email address that does not include any part of your real name. Most people can set up multiple email addresses with their internet provider, you can also set up free email accounts with Goggle, Yahoo, and about a dozen other places. The IP thing is overblown, as long as you are not a troll harassing people, there is no issue.

I don't have a problem with anonymous posters, I just think they are losing out on membership perks. Their posts have to be read and approved by a moderator, which means they don't instantly appear public. They also don't have access to the Private Message system and Chat Room.

rod

Retired 22 years
It really don't bother me one way or the other although I tend to believe most of the anonymous postesr are management people. They are more afraid of retaliation from up above than an hourly would be. Just my opioion.

feeder53

ADKtrails
It does not bother me, If they fear for their job, them you live in fear. I post as I feel and it does not bother me who reads it. If a person has an issue with me ...lets talk about it thats how we grow.

dillweed

I don't mind anonymous posters either. I am puzzled, however, that some forum members (not here) create two different screen names then come in and argue with each other. eeewwww:sick:

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
I don't mind anonymous posters either. I am puzzled, however, that some forum members (not here) create two different screen names then come in and argue with each other. eeewwww:sick:

each one of my personalities and voices has a screen name. its the only way i can keep the peace.

hahaha

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I agree with Feeder. I have never hidden who I am (with the exception of an over zelous chick a few years back that couldnt get enough of me) and I could care less about UPS knowing who I am and what I think. As long as I post truthfully, and do not divulge things that I was given in confidence, then I should have nothing to fear.

And I am sorry, maybe its because I am past the point in my life, but I call it the way I see it, right or wrong. I refuse to live my life in fear. Period. IF UPS wants me, they know where to find me.

The fear of UPS ever getting into this site just to gather IP's is funny. Not only would Cheryl never allow that, she would shut it down before complying.

My question is this. What have you posted on this site that would make you think UPS would even care?

While they dont bother me, those that throw in their 2 cents worth ought to be registered.

d

satellitedriver

I know people are worried about other people kknowing them and their post being held against them but I am pretty sure you are protected by this thing called the 1st ammendment.
The 1st amendment argument, on websites, has always bothered me,
there is a reason url's start with www (World Wide Web)
American law does not apply.
This site can be viewed, and posted to, from any country that has web access.
There is no way the 1st amendment applies to a website, unless the owner/administrator wishes to enforce it.
OK. I've said my piece on the 1st amendment argument.
I truly doubt that Cheryl or Tony would reveal personal info, unless a criminal investigation demanded it.
PAX

brett636

I personally do not care if UPS knows who I am. If you read enough of my posts you can probably pinpoint the exact hub I work at, and what my job is. I do not post anything that the company can deem confidential information, not that I know much of that anyways. I think for the most part UPS doesn't care unless you are posting as their CEO(anyone remember that? lol).

As far as the anonymous posters go, I am finding most of them to be cowardly anti-union posters who are really just trolls looking to get a rise out of us. If cheryl decided to get rid of the anonymous poster feature I would not care one way or another.