Another Boot thread

MassWineGuy

Not too many models of Chippewa boots are still made here. The thing about boots is to find a pair that feel good the moment you try them on. You don't want to break them and your feet in on the job. Cheap boots can feel good and do the job, but won't hold up very long. Expensive boots theoretically are made of better materials (eg: top grain leather), and if they have a Goodyear welt the soles can be replaced.

For my yet to begin seasonal driver job I bought two pairs: A pair of Converse work boots on sale for $50 because they're closeouts and Converse doesn't make them anymore. And a slightly used pair of basic Ecco leather work boots off of eBay for $60. Both pairs are very comfortable and I put a lot of effort in to waterproof them. I fought forest fires for the U.S. Forest Service and definitely learned the benefits of good boots. It's just as vital to take care of them by not letting them dry out or crack.

On that topic, I've started using a new (to me) product called Aqua Seal and I think it's better than Obenauf's, which itself is quite good.

Like many things, good quality boots cost more, but should last longer. I'm not rich enough to keep buying crappy stuff.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
A few weeks before peak I buy a new pair of red wings. Been buying the same pair for 4-5 years now. They last a year.

MassWineGuy

This is true; however, as I said earlier, my price point on boots is $100. I have a hard time justifying spending more than that.

If I worked on my feet all year round I would definitely consider increasing the price ceiling beyond $100. Your feet are probably your most important tool. Good materials cost money. Hiring people who really know how to make boots is expensive. I never bought a pair of Whites logger boots when I was tromping all over the Pacific Northwest fighting fires, but I know some who did. Very, very expensive but very, very worth it was the consensus. When you're out there trying to get around with a blister or two, and your boots aren't quite fitting how you like, how bad would spending another $100 to $150 feel?

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
From my experience rocky boots are cheap and in this case cheaper isn't better is correct. They were worst boots ever bought. Go to eBay and pick yourself up some MagnuM boots. You won't be disappointed. Almost as cheap as Rockies but 10 times a better boot

barnyard

KTM rider
I have 2 pair of Danner 200 gram thinsulate that I have had for 8 years. 1 pair was resoled poorly by a local cobbler and they are done. The other pair was resoled 1 time by danner. That pair should be good for another 2 years before another resoling.

I also have 2 pairs of Rocky 1000 gram thinsulate for when it gets really cold. Who knows how long they will last, they probably each get worn less than 2 weeks a year.

Summer use, I have 3 pairs of Whites oxfords. 2 were rebuilt last spring. I think they were 8 or 9 years old when I sent them in. They took longer to rebuild than I was expecting, so I bought another new pair, so now I rotate 3 pair through the week. Rebuilding was $135/pair and if they last another 6-8 years, I will have spent waaaaay less than someone that spends $100 a year on crappy shoes.

Rotating shoes/boots allows them to dry thoroughly and they last more than twice as long.

Plus, my feet love me.