Another CSP soliciting my drivers? AGAIN

bbsam

Staff member
Do you guys swap drivers as needed? For example, you have to cut a route but another contractor needs to add one (for the day)-----would you let him use one of your guys?
Sure. I've even filled in for other contractors' drivers myself from time to time.

It will be fine

Do you guys swap drivers as needed? For example, you have to cut a route but another contractor needs to add one (for the day)-----would you let him use one of your guys?
Typically we move the work. So another contractor needs help, I have extra guys available, I take the work and the revenue and it's still my employee and responsibility.

bbsam

Staff member
I was wondering how the pay would work.
I have several drivers "associated" with other contractors. Saturdays, since I don't run HD, they make extra money working for the other contractors. They are set up to take out taxes and pay the work comp insurance just as if they were normal employees of the other contractor.

It will be fine

I have several drivers "associated" with other contractors. Saturdays, since I don't run HD, they make extra money working for the other contractors. They are set up to take out taxes and pay the work comp insurance just as if they were normal employees of the other contractor.
I would caution against that type of arrangement. If they get hurt on Saturday their comp will be based on their wage history with the HD contractor. Only a few Saturdays here and there won't add up to much. You can also fire them if they are significantly hurt with no recourse since they were moonlighting for someone else. End of the day it might not be in your driver's best interest. At the very least you should strongly suggest they carry an additional disability insurance on themselves in case of lost time.

Bounty

You guys are entrepreneurs, free market place. Pay good guys well and they will stay, you know vacation, sick time, overtime and benefits. Like a
real job. You do not own the employee, if he thinks the next contractor does better for his employees he should leave you.

bbsam

Staff member
You guys are entrepreneurs, free market place. Pay good guys well and they will stay, you know vacation, sick time, overtime and benefits. Like a
real job. You do not own the employee, if he thinks the next contractor does better for his employees he should leave you.
I agree. If my drivers find something better with another contractor they should go.

That does not speak to the relationship between contractors which is something not to be taken lightly.

bbsam

Staff member
I would caution against that type of arrangement. If they get hurt on Saturday their comp will be based on their wage history with the HD contractor. Only a few Saturdays here and there won't add up to much. You can also fire them if they are significantly hurt with no recourse since they were moonlighting for someone else. End of the day it might not be in your driver's best interest. At the very least you should strongly suggest they carry an additional disability insurance on themselves in case of lost time.
And this affects me negatively how?

bbsam

Staff member
Only if you care about your drivers. I'd just make them aware of the risks they're taking and counsel them to get coverage.
Hmmmm. I guess I'm not opposed to informing them of that. Doubt it will have any effect. Can't do it any other way though. Each contractor MUST treat each driver who drives for them as an employee.

It will be fine

Hmmmm. I guess I'm not opposed to informing them of that. Doubt it will have any effect. Can't do it any other way though. Each contractor MUST treat each driver who drives for them as an employee.
I tell all my guys to get a short term disability coverage anyway. Comp is usually not enough and disability coverage is pretty cheap. I don't know if many of them actually do it, but I put it out there.