Another Day Where I'm Done "5 Hours Early"

sjh

HD - what state are you in? In CA, we only get paid $1.51 per stop (add 30 cents or so per extra package). Your flat rate is what we make per stop, and your per stop rate is more. I'm assuming your state pay out more than that?

However, with that said, that's what my husband and I do - pay a flat rate, plus per-stop after a certain number of stops, though it varies based on driver, location, and longevity with the company.

HomeDelivery

I'm in the northeast

every contractor is different since each are their own little corporations... some are cheap & others will pay more for a competent box monkey w/ some common sense and good customer service skills

i've been w/ this one contractor for a while now & had one substantial raise (just because the competition was starting to pay higher) & i'm way overdue for another. I don't get paid vacation or holiday pay or even a monthly bonus for not having complaints/disputes right now since I swing around terminals & contractors depending on the year.

heck, maybe Express or UPS will be in my future this coming peak season.

sjh

I get wanting to keep good employees. We just recently gave one driver a really substantial pay raise (9%) because he was about to leave and we valued him a lot. He runs our business when we're out of town, and its hard to find reliable, trustworthy people who will go the extra mile, and that is a huge need when you're not around. But you mean to say you don't get an annual raise??

serco

Could the stop rate possibly be considered by the employer your raise. If your willing to take more work then you will make more money on that day! Help me see it through the eys of a employee and employer. Im trying to set up a pay scale. Its long over due for me to grow or get out and move on!

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Could the stop rate possibly be considered by the employer your raise. If your willing to take more work then you will make more money on that day!
that sounds a lot like FedEx's logical way of thinking... I worked 40 minutes OT the other day - hey, I guess FedEx did give me a raise after all!

STFXG

Could the stop rate possibly be considered by the employer your raise. If your willing to take more work then you will make more money on that day! Help me see it through the eys of a employee and employer. Im trying to set up a pay scale. Its long over due for me to grow or get out and move on!

That's ridiculous logic.

sjh

Could the stop rate possibly be considered by the employer your raise. If your willing to take more work then you will make more money on that day!

What?? No...we don't consider giving more stops a "raise". A raise should be given as a result of loyalty and merit, not extra work. We have guys who WANT more stops so they get more, and they get paid more as a result. We have one guy who would rather be done by 1-2pm and so he gets less, but he also sees less on his paycheck. He'd get more stops if he wanted them.

If all our guys did the exact same number of stops per day, our 5+ year guys would see the most on their paycheck vs the guys who have been with us 1-2 years, but that's because they've been with us longer. When we had a more difficult territory, those particular drivers got paid a little more simply because their area was very rural and didn't allow for as many stops per hour.

But no, I don't think stop counts should be used as a basis for raises. That seems idiotic to me.

serco

What?? No...we don't consider giving more stops a "raise". A raise should be given as a result of loyalty and merit, not extra work. We have guys who WANT more stops so they get more, and they get paid more as a result. We have one guy who would rather be done by 1-2pm and so he gets less, but he also sees less on his paycheck. He'd get more stops if he wanted them.

If all our guys did the exact same number of stops per day, our 5+ year guys would see the most on their paycheck vs the guys who have been with us 1-2 years, but that's because they've been with us longer. When we had a more difficult territory, those particular drivers got paid a little more simply because their area was very rural and didn't allow for as many stops per hour.

But no, I don't think stop counts should be used as a basis for raises. That seems idiotic to me.
I agree, just wanted some others take on it! I know of some that actually have pulled it off as a raise! And others that exepted it as!

MaineGroundDriver

Re: Another Day Where I'm Done "5 Hours Early"

In Californian there is no such thing as daily flat rate if you are scheduled a regular five day a week job. You are actually considered salary. So if you are a sick a day you are legally still entitled your weekly salary. Most ground drivers are unaware of this and that's just the way the BbScams buddies like it.

I get paid the same even when I need a day off for any reason .. sick day, doctor appointment, whatever ..

HomeDelivery

that's why i negotiate with BOTH a flat rate & pay-per-stop... recently i walked in w/ a 60 stop load & was kinda pissed due to the commute & baby-sitter fees

so now i am going to tell him it's going to be a minimum set rate of $120 per day and anything after 75 stops will be additional rate of $1.60

he totally agreed with this w/ no problems so i'll be his "cardboard-camel" for a little while longer... and yep it was another 12-hour day

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Lawd, ain't that ^ the truth! Ground must not be very busy in Maine I guess

meanwhile I'm enjoying some time away from the crap hole known as Express (not that I would expect anyone to give a ****, but this just seems to be the thread for informing people of such thrilling events). Yes, the lawn has already been mowed and the closest I've come to FedEx today is dropping by the ol' BC to see who's hollerin' at who. ..saweeeeeeeeet!

MaineGroundDriver

Re: Another Day Where I'm Done "5 Hours Early"

No, Ground isn't that slow up here in Maine .. but I just like to point out to the *******s who say we're out until all hours of the night, that no, we aren't .. at least I'm not .. that's all I pretty much care about!