another driver out to get me

I

Iowan

After reading some of the posts I have come to the conclusion here where I'm at we have really great cover drivers. Why do I say this; because I seldom hear a senior driver complain about the cover driver that filled his shoes for a day or a week!! Oh and if you feel that driver is out to get you....kill him with kindness, make sure you call his name out in the morning crowd and say..GOOD MORNING ...... so that everyone can hear you do this every single day.

This guy sounds like a whiner, I have no time for whiners. Tell him if he doesn't like the way you run his route then don't take any time off. Problem solved.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Most of our cover drivers do a good job and make an honest effort on every pkg and P/U stop; however, we do have this one cover driver who consistently blows off stops (NSN, NI1) and is often way too early for his P/U and does not offer to go back and it has gotten to the point where he has been asked not to cover the runs of 3 FT drivers by the drivers. He has been driving the tug during the preload and goes on the road only when absolutely necessary. I am one of the drivers who has asked that he not cover my area and we have each tried to talk to him but it is like talking to the wall so we have moved on and hopefully he will figure out what his problem is.

I would also suggest that the drivers in question sit down, with a objective third party if needed, and hash out their differences (not in the parking lot after they punch out as had been suggested--while that may feel good at the moment it rarely solves anything and may only make matters worse.) The FT driver should ask that the delivery records for the day(s) in question be printed and they should review them together so that any issues that appear may be discussed. I do agree that complaining to the shop steward is not the way to go. These are 2 adults who should be able to work out their differences between themselves. On a side note, why would you work on your wedding day? Take the day off as there are always things that can come up at the last minute.

Ms Spoken

JMO, I feel that there might be more to the story here other than an occasional NI1. You can not get the Union involved because you and a senior driver have differences.
The Union is in place to uphold our contract with UPS. Sounds to me that you two drivers need to work this out on your own.
Don't hide behind someone, confront this driver and you will have more respect from fellow coworkers. Remember all of this is JMO.

filthpig

thank you for pointing that out....it's STEWARD....not STEWART.....you come off as the as the typical " dumb truck driver" w/ some of these posts.....try spell-check..or ask your UNION STEWARD...the correct spelling of his or her title...or look at a publication from your union...I'm getting tired of drivers being looked upon as "stupid" or "uneducated"...when in fact, we're more highly educated than our management...not one supervisor in my center has a college degree...yet I would say that 60% of the drivers are college graduates...and many have taken post-grad classes..I include myself in this category (post-grad)

just give a damn..about your job...about your life....
So he misspelled something. Other than that what the HELL did your post have to do with this topic?

filthpig

he filed a grievance against the manager (whom he got fired) regarding his 8 hour day that he didnt get.
All he did was call me an a-hole for not helping him.

Regarding the stewart about the other two things. He said they werent my fault. And they were dropped.
If he cursed you, then get right back in his face. I wouldn't take that off anyone, I don't care if he is the STEWARD'S (that's for Brownbomber) butt-buddy. Next time you run his route, absolutely bust :censored2: and get done at 4 or so. See how he likes that.

steeltoe

Sorry to jump in on the Steward thing, but Brownbomber has a point. People come on this board all the time and complain about contractual issues and they do not even know the title of the guy that they are supposed to report grievances too. To say that the person did not spell STEWARD correctly is not my problem. I could be wrong, but I believe the poster did not know that it is STEWARD, and not STEWART. This was no a word spelled incorrectly, but a person who has no idea what the persons title actually is. I have no problem with the grammer aspect, heck, I am grammatically retarded. My problem is the the word STEWARD is in the contract many, many times over and people still call the position STEWART. How can this be, if you are an involved member of the union, and not just some one who gets involved when they get screwed.

Misspelled words and typeing mistakes are acceptable, believing that your union rep is called a STEWART is unacceptable.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Feeder53 summed it perfectly--the two of you should be able to sit down as adults and work this disagreement out. Ms. Spoken was also correct when she stated that the Union has better things to do than get involved in situations such as these. The regular driver needs to realize that perhaps there is someone who can do his run more efficiently (I was going to say better but thought better of it) than he can and the cover driver needs to realize that this is not his run, he is there in place of the regular driver and, as such, must do all that he can to treat those customers as though they were his own and to attempt service on each and every pkg (yes, even the heavy ones!). However, if the cover driver is able to do all of this and still get done earlier than the regular driver, good for him.

brown bomber

brown bomber
it's not a question of SPELLING...........it's a question of awareness....knowing that you are represented by a steward....not a stewart.....

just give a little bit of a damn

sorry I'm venting

dillweed

Sorry this is happening to you but keep in mind that nothing at UPS is personal. Don't let it hit you in the heart or put you on the run.

It's possible that this driver is posessive about his route and proud of the way he handles it. By criticizing your performance he is asserting himself as king of the route. Don't worry unless management starts to get on you about it.

As with everything at UPS, you do the best you can and it's not another employee's place to evaluate your ability.

If you'd like to be on good terms with this driver I'd agree with the others that you should just ask him what he's unhappy with and how you might do better next time. This way you appear to be the underling and he can keep his big guy status. If you don't want to bow down, tell him to go to hell in a handbasket and continue to do the good job you are already doing.

As far as steward, stewart don't worry about that either. We call our steward lots of names and he answers to all. :happy-very:

Tony31yrs

You and the other driver should try to work this matter out. Remember that the both of you have to stay united. Management loves when teamsters turn against one another. I have seen guys didn't get along and "let something slip" about the other driver that got him written up, suspended or fired. Management will always stick together against teamsters and you should do the same. I assume you both are adults and can talk it out. If you aren't doing anything "illegal", then just tell him and try to convince him.

rod

Retired 22 years
You and the other driver should try to work this matter out. Remember that the both of you have to stay united. Management loves when teamsters turn against one another. I have seen guys didn't get along and "let something slip" about the other driver that got him written up, suspended or fired. Management will always stick together against teamsters and you should do the same. I assume you both are adults and can talk it out. If you aren't doing anything "illegal", then just tell him and try to convince him.
Good advise- unfortunatly some people are just born to be Jerks. Sounds like this regular driver is one of them. Ignor this A-hole:peaceful:

Tony31yrs

On the other hand, I have had cover drivers run my route that swore upside down that they weren't running, skipping lunch, driving crazy, presorting their cars on their own time and writing up stops that they never went to-yet customers and other drivers told me different. Look at your own body of work first and make sure you don't deserve this driver's anger.
Payback is a buddy* and I loved when drivers like this later got their own routes and complained when some cover driver was screwing up their routes.

rod

Retired 22 years
How true---- What goes around, comes around. Everyone goes through that stage where you think "I am the best there is at running my route and nobody could ever replace me". Unfortunately ----not true . EVERYBODY can be replaced . :peaceful: