Another Driver protects himself from a dog

Overpaid Union Thug

I have had to kick a dog in self defense 3 times is the last 27 years.

It upset me. I regretted having to do it. I sure as hell didnt get smug about it, or take pride in it, or get off on it to the point where I would make up a screen name that glorified it. I feel bad for anyone who has to make themselves feel better by abusing an animal.

I've kicked 5 now and had to body slam another because it was a giant "puppy" that was just being playful and wouldn't stop clawing at me. That sucker was huge and didn't know it's own strength. My left hand was scratched up pretty bad to the point where you could see blood but the cuts weren't quite deep enough to cause them to actually bleed. I never felt good after any of those 6 incidents but it was either me or them. I'm sure each and every one of the owners of those dogs raised, or at least thought they raised, them well but that's doesn't matter if a dog feels threatened or or is having a bad day. That is why they should be contained humanly and according to local and state laws.

EastBrown N Down

But when in the wrong hands they are dangerous, but not a Chihuahua. So how do I know how it was raised? The assumption is there because a lot of meat heads want biggest baddest dog for protection and again you don't know and don't want to find out when it's a pit.

Since I refuse to live in fear, because I accept end-game on Earth, my two dogs and any dog I will have will never leave guests wondering if it is safe or not. I don't like that feeling when I visit others with agreesive big dogs, so I feel others would feel that way when they come to my home and so I don't do that.

Derail:
I have high speed BB pistols for protection, I assume if someone enters the house illegally (drunk accident) instead of killing them or shooting myself, we would start pelting them with BB's, that :censored2: will hurt and they will want to flee with the bonus of getting to live another day and learn a lesson. I'm not prepared I reckon for a PSP Psycho murder invasion, the chances are crazy astronomical against that happening... and I'm destined to the grave no matter. My point is too many people want to up the protection game until it is even a danger to themselves in certain ways.

Funny you quote me and cut out the part about a responsible owner would put their pet away when answering the door. You have a right to protect yourself and act accordingly. Comparing a pit bull to a chihuahua is like comparing a freightliner to a bicycle. . A better comparison would be a doberman, German Shepherd, rottweiler. .. all born and bred to be more aggressive than a terrier.

EastBrown N Down

It doesn't matter how they are raised. If a pit bull gets pissed then they are so much more dangerous than the little crap eaters that yelp and yap every day but are easily shoed away. Look at it this way....... who would you rather get really upset with you to the point they attack? A midget that is always talking :censored2:e anyway but not following through or the 6' 4" 300 pound Neanderthal that is usually calm as an ocean breeze? I would guess the midget.

Pit Bulls, as well as a few others, should always be in a contained area. They are too dangerous to let them out in the open.
Sent using BrownCafe App

This is laughable.. and so is your attempt at an analogy, what if the little person had a gun for protection because he's so physically over matched. . I'd take my chances with the 300 pounder who thinks he's a hardass.. how but Royce Gracie? He was 160 lbs and broke arms regularly of men twice the size of him. This is a battle I have given up on. People have opinions and they're entitled to them. Not worth battling over.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Funny you quote me and cut out the part about a responsible owner would put their pet away when answering the door. You have a right to protect yourself and act accordingly. Comparing a pit bull to a chihuahua is like comparing a freightliner to a bicycle. . A better comparison would be a doberman, German Shepherd, rottweiler. .. all born and bred to be more aggressive than a terrier.
I agree a large dog can definetely cause more damage to a person, and if it gets you off your feet, well thats how the maulings occur.

I never know if large dogs on my route have been trained properly, being judgemental, I would say not. I am afraid of all of them, because I dont know. I was attacked by a dalmation rot mix, which didnt bite, the owner said. Since then, I am very cautious.

At that point was when my first doberman picked me. She followed me in the house, unbeknownst to me, and would not leave. Laid down by the fireplace and never left. She restored my faith in dogs, as up until the attack, I had never had an encounter with a dog that turned out badly, had zero fear.

Doing what we do, we have to be cautious.

TUT

Read lots of "my dog", "how I train" you know typical internet poster, I'm perfect... see.

But internet poster also mentions the ocean of idiots out there as well. Those are the dogs I question, it's not about perfect you, it's the others.

No one knows how random dog was raised. There is no need to say "Pit Bulls are so sweat", we've known this for decades, doesn't stop an incident from happening routinely. Why? Because remember all those other idiots, some are raising pit bulls to their military spec. OR because dogs have their own personalities, free will, bad days, caught off-guard, miss accessed situation and overreacted to.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
Children often develop--or fail to develop---compassion and empathy for others by observing how their parents treat animals. It is a proven fact that the children of animal abusers tend to become abusers themselves

If you have not already gotten a vasectomy...please do so as soon as possible.
The most ignorant and obviously demented principal in this argument is that somehow I abused an animal by punting it when it charged me when it was let loose. I could really care less if it is a dog, a panther or another human being. Unlike Soberups, I'll protect myself and anyone around me first and worry about the ramifications later. Your argument is absurd and there is a difference between self-defense and abuse. I've launched many a "fido" in my career and I'm sure I'll be faced with the situatuation again. But, abuse refers to victimizing a non-threatening animal and I've never gone there, so cry me a river. Animals, by law, are personal property. If your personal property is a threat to my safety, you're going to regret the fact that I don't care about your dog's feelings as it's dragging it's ass back inside the house.

Try interacting with well adjusted human beings a little more, and you'll get over the displaced affection in animals above your fellow man.

Overpaid Union Thug

This is laughable.. and so is your attempt at an analogy, what if the little person had a gun for protection because he's so physically over matched. . I'd take my chances with the 300 pounder who thinks he's a hardass.. how but Royce Gracie? He was 160 lbs and broke arms regularly of men twice the size of him. This is a battle I have given up on. People have opinions and they're entitled to them. Not worth battling over.

And speaking of laughable analogies......according to you I should be more concerned about the 5.6 ounce chihuahua than the heavy pit bull because the chihuahua might be armed? Alrighty then..........

<<<<<STOP POSTING WHILE DRUNK!>>>>>

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The most ignorant and obviously demented principal in this argument is that somehow I abused an animal by punting it when it charged me when it was let loose. I could really care less if it is a dog, a panther or another human being. Unlike Soberups, I'll protect myself and anyone around me first and worry about the ramifications later. Your argument is absurd and there is a difference between self-defense and abuse. I've launched many a "fido" in my career and I'm sure I'll be faced with the situatuation again. But, abuse refers to victimizing a non-threatening animal and I've never gone there, so cry me a river. Animals, by law, are personal property. If your personal property is a threat to my safety, you're going to regret the fact that I don't care about your dog's feelings as it's dragging it's ass back inside the house.

Try interacting with well adjusted human beings a little more, and you'll get over the displaced affection in animals above your fellow man.
You have every right to protect yourself from a dog that you feel is threatening you.

Like you, I have also been forced to kick dogs that were about to bite me.

Unlike you, I don't brag about it. I don't get off on it. I don't prop up my ego by making up a screen name that glorifies it.

The well adjusted human beings that I interact would find it sad and regrettable if I ever had to resort to physical violence against a dog, even if it was justified. Apparently the people you call friends would find it funny. To each their own, I guess.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Most of the time the dog bites that happen are the result of human error. The owner lets them out as we walk up. They are hidden somewhere and we don't see them until too late. A child opens the screen. I've had all this happen as well. I'm just doing my job, and the dog thinks he is doing his. The owner is failing to do theirs usually. I always regret hitting the dog, because I personally feel he is the innocent one in the equation, but I'm not going down without a fight. Most owners are completely clueless unfortunately.

Ring Sport

When someone says to me "my dog won't bite", that is a giant red flag to me. Ask any Vet what their opinion is of that statement and they will tell you those are the dogs they are extra cautious with. Anybody ever watch that show "Billy the Exterminator"? He made a comment one time that is very true. It was something along the line of "If it has teeth it will bite".

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I am going to attack these dogs while I sauce my ribs.
Barktobefest-Sell-Sheet.jpg

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The owner of this dog never once said "my dog won't bite". It wasn't necessary. With most dogs, pitbulls included, it is intuitively obvious just by looking at the animal whether it is a potential biter or not. You can read its body language and observe its behavior. As a rural driver, the majority of the dogs I encounter are loose on the property and without exception every single one who has ever come out and jumped up into the truck has proven to be a friendly and trustworthy dog. I have never been bitten in 27 years of delivering, so you can disagree with my opinions but you cant argue with my results.

ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1412548211.039739.jpg

Ring Sport

Loose dogs don't worry me as much as the dog that is going nuts in the house. At least with a loose dog your able to size it up and have some time to figure their disposition. A dog that happens to run out as someone is answering the door you have just a split second to make that decision. As the homeowner says "he won't hurt you".

Had a situation a while back where I knew they had a dog that I didn't trust. The homeowner (wife) was carrying in groceries and had the front door wide open. I thought I could quietly sneak up there and leave the package for her to see on her next trip to the car for the rest of her groceries. She saw me and started talking to me. Here comes the dog....great. I kept the package between the dog and I, being that is all I had in my hands. The husband yells "he won't hurt you". My reply. "He just took a chunk out of your package". It was an oversized padded envelope.

I personally find it hard to remain calm when around a dog that I'am unfamiliar with or don't trust. And I know they key up on this. My wife and I can go for walks and a loose dog will key up on me and she will tell me to knock it off. It is just something that I can't control. Some are very good at controlling it.

Something else some of you may not know or be aware of is every time you go to a house and leave, your building up that dogs confidence. In his mind he is winning and your leaving. This is why when a puppy is being trained for protection work they give him the sleeve. Makes him feel like he is winning and builds up his confidence.

O

OLDMAN3

The owner of this dog never once said "my dog won't bite". It wasn't necessary. With most dogs, pit-bulls included, it is intuitively obvious just by looking at the animal whether it is a potential biter or not. You can read its body language and observe its behavior. As a rural driver, the majority of the dogs I encounter are loose on the property and without exception every single one who has ever come out and jumped up into the truck has proven to be a friendly and trustworthy dog. I have never been bitten in 27 years of delivering, so you can disagree with my opinions but you cant argue with my results.

I can, and do disagree with your "results". You, yourself have admitted that you have had to defend against dogs attacking you. You are very naive to think that any particular dog is a "potential biter or not". We have friends that raised their dog correctly from birth. socialized him, brought him to obedience training etc., they have always been dog owners. He never showed any signs of aggression until... he attacked their 7 year old daughter who had been around the dog it's entire life. He permanently scared her face. I have been bitten by 2 dogs on my route that had known me for years. You can't know if a dog is being stung by a bee, has an internal pain etc the moment before he turns.That being said, Pit Bulls are bred to be attacking machines. They are bred to maul, and in my opinion have no business being let loose outside no mater how many cute pictures you post of them. Here are some things you might want to consider... http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-quick-statistics.php

In the 9-year period from 2005 to 2013, two dog breeds accounted for 74% of the attacks that resulted in death: pit bulls and rottweilers.
2013 Dog Bite Fatalities by DogsBite.org, 2014

71% of the pit bull fatalities have occurred in the past 10 years; 42% in the past four years; 24% in the past two years.
30-Year Summary: Dog Attack Deaths and Maimings, U.S. & Canada September 1982 to December 26, 2011 by Merritt Clifton, Animal People, 2012

Over 700 U.S. cities have adopted breed-specific laws since the mid 1980s, just after pit bulls (fighting dogs) began leaking into the general population.
Estimated U.S. Cities, Counties and Military Facilities with Breed-Specific Laws by DogsBite.org, 2013

By 2017, pit bulls are projected to maul 305 Americans to death since 1998, the year the CDC stopped tracking fatal dog attacks by breed.
Fatalpitbullattacks.com, 2014, Nonprofits Urge CDC to Resume Tracking Richer Data Set for Children and Adults Disfigured, Maimed and Killed by Dogs, DogsBite.org, 2014

In the 9-year period from 2005 to 2013, pit bulls killed 176 Americans, about one citizen every 18.6 days.

2013 Dog Bite Fatalities by DogsBite.org, 2014
In 2013, over one-third, 38%, of all dog bite fatality victims were either visiting or living temporarily with the dog's owner when the fatal attack occurred.

In the 3-year period of 2006 to 2008, 18% of all fatal dog attacks occurred off owner property. Pit bulls were responsible for 81% of these attacks.

O

OLDMAN3

http://www.dogsbite.org/dangerous-dogs-pit-bull-faq.php
Q: Why do people say that pit bulls "don't let go?"
Through selective breeding, pit bulls have developed enormous jaw strength, as well as a ruinous "hold and shake" bite style, designed to inflict the maximum damage possible on their victims. This bite trait delivered winning results in the fighting pit. When the Colorado Supreme Court upheld the Denver pit bull ban in 2005, the high court set aside characteristics that pit bulls displayed when they attack that differ from all other dog breeds. One of these characteristics was their lethal bite:

"[pit bulls] inflict more serious wounds than other breeds. They tend to attack the deep muscles, to hold on, to shake, and to cause ripping of tissues. Pit bull attacks were compared to shark attacks."11
Q: Do pit bulls bite more than other dogs?
Depending upon the community in which you live and the ratio of pit bulls within it, yes and no. But whether a pit bull bites more or less than another dog breed is not the point. The issue is the acute damage a pit bull inflicts when it does choose to bite. The pit bull's "hold and shake" bite style causes severe bone and muscle damage, often inflicting permanent and disfiguring injury. Moreover, once a pit bull starts an attack, firearm intervention may be the only way to stop it.

When analyzing dog bite statistics, it is important to understand what constitutes a bite. A single bite -- recorded and used in dog bite statistics -- is a bite that "breaks the skin." One bite by a poodle that leaves two puncture wounds is recorded the same way as a pit bull mauling, which can constitute hundreds of puncture wounds and extensive soft tissue loss. Despite the "quagmire" of dog bite statistics, pit bulls are leading bite counts across U.S. cities and counties.14

Last edited by a moderator:
O

OLDMAN3

DogsBite.org Releases 'Beyond the Interview' Essay: Father of Child Killed by Babysitter's Pit Bulls Speaks Out After Attack
Beyond the Interview was created through direct phone calls and emails over a 6-week period with Jeff Borchardt, 39, the boy's grieving father, and Susan Iwicki, 30, the babysitter and owner of the two pit bulls. Both are compelled to speak out after believing the widely pervasive myth, "It's all how they're raised." On March 6th, states the essay, "Susan's well-raised pit bulls acted out their genetic heritage by inflicting an unpredictable destructive attack that took a boy's life."

Soberups I would ask you to read the interview of the grieving parents, look at the Pit-bull statistics and disturbing photos of Pit-bull attacks before posting anymore "aren't they so cute Pit-bull photos" out of respect for the countless parents who have seen their children attacked.

http://blog.dogsbite.org/2013/07/beyond-the-interview-essay-of-a-fatal-pit-bull-mauling.html

http://www.dogsbite.org/dogsbite-ne...terview-essay-of-a-fatal-pit-bull-mauling.php

Here is a photo of the child mentioned, killed by a Pit-bull (one of many).

Before his son's death, Jeff said that he used to believe that a dog's behavior was determined by the way it was raised. He no longer believes this myth -- a falsehood widely cited by pit bull advocates and humane groups. The dogs that Susan owned with her boyfriend had no history of aggression. The couple raised the two pit bulls from puppyhood. The dogs were not abused or neglected and both were sterilized. "Something made the dogs snap on that day," Jeff said.

He cannot forget how his son looked after the prolonged attack. "There were unimaginable bruises and bites all over his legs, his arms and his body -- his head,"There were unimaginable bruises and bites all over his legs, his arms and his body," he said. If only that was all that was forever seared into the father's mind. In reality, one side of his son's face was entirely ripped off, his skull crushed and one eye dangled from its socket. His wife was not spared this horrific imagery either." He added, "[The pit bulls] had one goal in mind and that was to murder my baby." Jeff hopes that by sharing Dax's story with as many people as he can, new damaging pit bull maulings and fatalities can be prevented. He said that if his stepping forward today saves just one life then going through this pain is worth it.
dax-borchardt-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Overpaid Union Thug

I've had more than a few dogs come after me after they initially showed body language of friendly dogs. One was laying down and showed little interest in me until I was almost in lunging distance. Luckily it was on a chain that I couldn't even see and I was just out of reach. That little bastard played it cool and mellow until the last second.

Sent using BrownCafe App